OCR03433 - Doom "Army Worthy of Phobos"

Liontamer

I can just imagine sweeping shots of thousands of imps and pinkys being created underground, orc-style with all that slimy gook and everything. The anvil is used quite a bit, but it fits everywhere it's being used.

I feel like one could cut some slack for being too liberal to the source, considering all the instruments being used, and most of them seem to play the main melody at least once anyway. The key change in the second half makes the atmosphere even darker than the first half!:blink:

YES. YES. 1000x YES. I love Doom and I love LotR, and let me tell you, I was skeptical heading into this piece - I couldn't imagine doing justice to either, much less coming up with something that built on both and created a single sound. I stated being swayed in the first minute; by the time we hit 1:30, I was fully on board. I hear the varied range but think it's directly in line with the source material and style; in this case, I count it as a plus, not a minus. REALLY impressive, right down from the initial vision (how in the world did the remixer even conceive of this as an idea?!) to the execution right into the finish (4:55+ is epic in its own right!!).

Unique? Check. Sweeping? Check. Grand? Check. Memorable? Check. Congratulations; you've done both sources proud.

• 1 month later...

Being a bit of a soundtrack lover even with a few LotR tracks in the rotation I was really digging the intro and all the transitions. Its such a dynamic track. The use of the classic, pain-infused Doom music was great. 

Part way through though, quite early in the piece I thought the anvils (I think they are anvils, im not an expert sorry) were just being a tad overworked. it was dragging the piece down too early. For me I feel like you could have dropped them at 2:33ish except they continue 3:00ish. Part of me thinks there's something else that can be done to the beat to make it imposing, not an expert but different drums. Horns like those used in the final battle in Mario Galaxy created an urgent quality that could work here too. I suppose depending on what emotion you are trying to bring out here prrcisely and what is inkeeping with LotR I do think it can be improved. 

Later in the piece at 4:35 the anvils are possibly ok but by then I'm sick of them : ( and I found them to be loud and overpowering the other great work you are doing with other instruments.

Honestly I would love to add this to my rotation but I just can't yet... so close though. There is real skill here and I'm going to have to check your other mixes if you have others.