Final Fantasy 7: Modern Orchestral Cid

Chris Hammond

it's too lofi at the moment to porperly get a feel for the nuances, but a quieter section featuring woodwinds would be awesome.

I love the deceptive cadence at 1:14, and the rythym shifts throughout are nice. I think the melody might need to be altered slightly, as it seems somewhat coverish, but it's sucha good melody, it's tough to think of how to change it.

I'd like to hear a full quality rendition of this please, from what I can hear, this is all I've got for ya.

Part of me thinks if Cid was a character on Super Smash Bros. Melee and you had to fight him on Shin-Ra Rocket No. 26, this is what the music would sound like as the background.

Even though it's low quality (and for reasons that are not the composers fault) I still listen to it a lot! I can't wait for the final version (please make a final version, this is really great!)

very good sounds, love the horn synth, exactly what program do you use cause i cant find a orchestra midi (except for the 600 dollar gigastudio

It's not a program it's a Yamaha PSR 3000 keyboard. I think keyboards are great because instead of getting all those soundfonts etc. you can just get a bog standard MIDI file and pipe it through this and get these sounds.

overall I like it, but it sounds just a little too cheery for cid, his track was somehow more melancholically downbeat but with that little added uplifting sparkle, which captured the character of Cid perfectly.

As for the instrumentation here, the panning on some instruments is way off for orchestral instruments, a lot of things (to a fan of classical music) just sound plain "wrong" when I listen to this.

First off is the staccato horn section that is constantly dead centre piping away and punctuating every single note through the song, it gets annoying pretty quickly tbh, try push them a bit more to the background, pan it a bit more left(where the horn section would usually be - and when the trumpets come in push em off the right maybe) they should be there to reinforce the melodic section, not overpower it, imo. The instruments themselves are really nice sounding though, some good samples used here. All except the lead horn (or is that a tuba, synths can be hard to tell what theyre meant to be heh) the attack on it is really disturbing heh, try to blend the MIDI notes together a bit more maybe to get rid of that very noticeable gap between notes and make it flow a bit better.

The string section is very well put together though, overall this is sounding pretty cool, just a few small things at the moment that make it annoying to listen to repeatedly. also, like the others here are saying, maybe you can make it a bit longer ;)