Pokémon: The Missingno Tracks - History

The Damned

• 3 weeks later...
The last few posts, plus the early-stage website Cerrax sent me, is making me feel all kinds of tingly.

I must contact that artist. That Charizard one is just damn good.

Excellent.

If it doesn't work out let me know and I'll submit something to the cause and if you like it I'll take on all the promotion material, perhaps as a discounted commission. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Trying to get artwork sorted out now. Depending upon how things go the next couple of days, it will be taken care of sooner or later.

Vague enough?

Too vague.

I swear I'm fixin to send in my own mockups for promo art.

One idea I had was that the promotional artwork would be based around the five different forms MissingNo is represented as.

3702813.png

I figure that would be fitting.

OK, the first thing I'm going to say about any artwork is no pixel art, especially using game elements. No thanks, not happening. It's using far too much of the original game material, and it looks plain and derivative. There might even be some legal issues about it, but ignoring that, it just reeks of lack of imagination.

This is a chance for some really good original artwork to appear, and instead of slightly editing the old sprites, how about we get something that stands out and doesn't crib from GameFreak?

OK, the first thing I'm going to say about any artwork is no pixel art, especially using game elements. No thanks, not happening. It's using far too much of the original game material, and it looks plain and derivative. There might even be some legal issues about it, but ignoring that, it just reeks of lack of imagination.

This is a chance for some really good original artwork to appear, and instead of slightly editing the old sprites, how about we get something that stands out and doesn't crib from GameFreak?

That sounds like a challenge.

I accept. :)

though something I feel I should ask is this: what is the overall feel of the album? I don't want to go the mysterious route if it's bright and cheery music. So if I could have a lead on the albums overall demeanour that would be great.

Judging by the preview I would assume that the genre of music is all over the place, so I'll keep that in mind and try to make it ambiguous in the cover.

That sounds like a challenge.

I accept. :)

though something I feel I should ask is this: what is the overall feel of the album? I don't want to go the mysterious route if it's bright and cheery music. So if I could have a lead on the albums overall demeanour that would be great.

Judging by the preview I would assume that the genre of music is all over the place, so I'll keep that in mind and try to make it ambiguous in the cover.

There is no real style of music, yes. The idea is to take the various songs and just have fun with them, like you would in the game. Play it your way, if you will.

Here's a quick concept I came up with.

missingnoart1.png

I can make it look a lot better given time, but I want to know what you think about the setup. I may change the sillouettes into full art pieces. I was also thinking of making it look like an actual Pokemon game boxart featuring the two boney pokemon (which are apparently rarer than the other MissingNo forms) on the two different versions/disks.

Also, how big should I make the final cover? I don't know if it'll get printed ever, or how OCRemix works when it comes to extra material.

Also, besides the cover, is there any other pieces of art you'll need? (promotional, etc...)