OCR03583 - *YES* Super Mario RPG "Nimbus Can Wait" *PROJECT*

Gario

Remixer: Gario
E-mail: 
UserID: 18482

Games arranged: Super Mario RPG
Arrangement Name: Nimbus can Wait
Sources Arranged:   Super Mario RPG - Do the Fooka Fooka

This is an interesting arrangement. The source attracted me due to it's rich harmonies, it's rather complex transitions and the overall happy atmosphere. There are a great deal of things that I could share about this track (style, interesting production tricks, why in God's name I used a Sine wave as my lead... that was not easy, etc.), but instead I'll talk about a story of what this track represents.

This represents one's attempt to express something wonderful to someone else, while trying (and failing) to contain your excitement over it. Something like Nimbus, the city in the clouds, the place where dreams come true (literally!). Everyone has things that they hold dear, things that, given the opportunity, will happily gush about for a length of time unknown. Many things can be your 'Nimbus' - your love for video game music, or for the arrangement of said music, or perhaps for a television show, or even for a religion. Many of us have experienced our proclamation of our Nimbus - our cares and dreams - and have had to hold back so not to lose our audience!

Music has a way of reaching others in a manner that just can't be expressed effectively in words, sometimes, so perhaps listen with that in mind. This is for all of our Nimbus's out there, our passions, our dreams, that we have difficulty sharing with those outside of that circle. This is for the times where Nimbus, indeed, had to wait.

Enjoy, and don't forget to listen to the rest of the album!

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/10/15 - Super Mario RPG 'Nimbus Can Wait' *PROJECT*

Looks like I get to lead off on a Gario mix.  *ahem*

If you'd asked me to imagine what a Gario take on this source, keeping its original upbeat tone, would sound like, this would be pretty much exactly it.  It's got those nice crisp leads, those fun arps, that nice resonant backing, fun original riffs, everything I expect from Gario.

Unfortunately, that includes some of the weaknesses, like a very busy high end in places (1:58-2:08, for instance), but it's distinct enough that it's not a major issue.  3:01-3:17, especially from 3:12 on, is an exception; some of the lead gets a little swallowed there.

The pumping on the vox pad is a little odd and didn't sound intentional at first, took me a couple of listens to catch on to the pattern and realize that it was intentional.

The sine lead is quite piercing.  The lead in the source is heading in that direction already, but this takes that and makes it even shinier.  While it stands out the most in the intro and the ending where it's most exposed, the peaks in 1:25-2:17 are where it really makes me wince.  Edit: It's still a smidgen too shrill for my tastes, but isn't pushing the physical discomfort threshold anymore.

Clearly no issues on the arrangement front.  The main hook is present throughout, but Gario does a good job keeping it fresh and original--no mean feat considering how short it is.

So my only real beefs are with that sine lead being too shrill and the xylophone-like lead at 3:12 being drowned for about 4 seconds.  The latter isn't a big deal because it's so brief, and the former is a bit borderline, and I know my ears are more sensitive to the former issue than most.  I'd prefer to see those improved, but I'm okay with this otherwise.  Edit: Both issues have been improved in the current version, so my qualified YES is now a stronger

YES

Super catchy mix.  Creative arrangement work throughout.

Lead felt a bit strong in the 2-4khz range throughout.  As a whole, I think the track eq could've been balanced a bit more to bring down that general range and have more presence in the mid-low/low ranges.

1:30ish section in particular gets a bit piercing in some higher freqs.

I'm a bit torn.  The balance/piercing freqs is really the only concern I have and it's a relatively easy fix.  I'm gonna go yes borderline and leave it up to Gars if he wants to give it another production pass to tighten it up.

YES (borderline with eq)

• Nutritious changed the title to 2016/10/15 - (2Y) Super Mario RPG 'Nimbus Can Wait' *PROJECT*

I thought the textures were on the empty side but OK until 1:08. Then the countermelodic writing (which I liked the writing of) seemed too loud relative to the lead until 1:42. Arrangement-wise, it's all OK though, and the production wasn't a dealbreaker, though I agree with everyone saying the lead was shrill/piercing. It wasn't ENOUGH so that it had to be a NO on production, but the lead was an issue. Things got a bit better when the lead sound changed at 2:42, but the same issues returned with the original lead at 3:17. Anyway, it's ultimately fine, just annoying, how about that? :-D

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/10/15 - (3Y) Super Mario RPG 'Nimbus Can Wait' *PROJECT*
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah this is a pass on the arrangement front.  Though I have to say I feel the non-stop embellishments of the original melody kinda get too much at some points and I just wished the melody was allowed to breathe for a minute without the addition of so many flairs and arpeggiation.  It may be personal preference though.  I did like the addition of harmonies throughout that meshed very well into the scope of the arrangement.

I didn't get to hear the previous version with the issues that were mentioned above, but I couldn't hear eq issues here so I guess those were already fixed.  Overall solid arrangement here.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03583 - *YES* Super Mario RPG "Nimbus Can Wait" *PROJECT*
  • Liontamer locked this topic