Nintendo Switch

DarkeSword

I'm excited because lately, it seems like most of my gaming time is spent on portable systems, largely because of my job. It takes me an hour and a half to get to work and back. If I didn't have my Vita (3DS once I get Pokemon Sun) with me for that kind of commute, I would have gone insane a long time ago :P 

But anyway, depending on the game library, the Switch seems like a logical choice for the next system for me to buy, only because I would have more time to play something like the Switch than any other console I would want, or currently own.

I would want to test-drive it a bit. Like, not just in a store. Sitting there at home is one thing, because you can put the controller on the table.

But now I've got a tablet with big controllers that slide on the sides. How heavy is it? How is the battery life? What about overall performance? Is it worth using as a portable(ish?)  device?

No one will know until they get their hands on it.

• 1 month later...

It's a presentation that's gonna be a live-stream of the event going on in Japan regarding it. This latest announcement is just what time specifically and the link to tune in to it. We've known since late October that the presentation was going to be about. More specifically, this part from the PR announcement I just linked:

The presentation will include the launch date and pricing for Nintendo Switch, as well as a look at the lineup of games currently in development.

So yeah, it's gonna be an info blowout. 

I just want a release date for Breath of the Wild.

That's all I want...

And Yooka-Laylee, but I'm getting it on Steam now that the Wii U version is canceled.

As such, I will be getting the Wii U version of BotW, regardless of what's wrong with it...

Of course the Switch version will be better...though it (the console) does have a good price...I think...

We shall see.

I never buy the release version of consoles--too much risk of problems, or gross miscalculations of what the market actually wants--but Nintendo tends to do a better job than Sony and Microsoft in that regard, so maybe.  I'm pretty eager for Breath of the Wild, so if the Switch version is markedly better than the Wii U one and is in a bundle with the console, there's a good chance I'll go for it.

Splatoon will help make my decision, too, but that'll have to wait until folks get their hands on it.  If it just adds pants and hairstyles, but the touch controls are replaced with something not as smooth, then meh, I'll stick with the Wii U version.  If there's actually new functional content, then maybe.

Not having been up on consoles the last... twenty years, is a region-free console a big deal? Is that new, or is that common now?

2.5 to 6 hours of battery on the tablet... more like 2 to 4, at best.

$299 US... so $350 CAN? $375 CAN? Oh god, they're going to charge us $400 CAN, aren't they?

Looks like I'll be getting the Wii U version of BotW.

EDIT: That new Mario game is set in New York. You know what this means? After 30 years, they're finally giving us a tie-in game for the Mario Bros movie!!

9 hours ago, AzureZeal said:

Not a single mention of how Nintendo Network is going to work on the Switch. I really hope they would at least show it in the coming presentations but them not even talking about it on their biggest presentation is just baffling.  

They can't tell you everything in a single press conference. I think the focus on the hardware and the games was good enough.