OCR00268 - Super Mario Bros. 2 "Insomnic"

m68030

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

When I made my OCR CD, I felt that this was the only song that could follow Game Over's "Little Mac's Confession" properly. And you know what, I was right. Whenever people listen to the CD when the Game Over song ends they're always like "that was awesome, play that again" then this starts, and they say "wait.. leave this on." So apart from the fact that Mario 2 is my favorite of the series, and apart from the fact that it also has some of my favorite VG music of all time, this would be a 5 star mix anyway. :D

• 2 months later...
Super Mario Bros. 2 'Insomnic'

Kinda weird.. phased pianoy noises and a thud thud thud thud drum bit.

not bad, but kinda odd. Not for everyone.

By the way, what the hell is this for a review? I happen the think the "phased pianoy noises" fucking rock! He uses the phaser quite well, I think. And "thud thud thudthud drum bit"? Maybe a four on the floor house beat? 4/4? Anyway, this must be one of your ealier reviews...

• 9 months later...

BEST. REMIX. EVER. And the bounciest, most energetic tune in my OCR library. A complete overhaul of the level 1 and underground themes from the game, using very spiced up techno instruments. I've listened to it a hundred times and it never gets old! I didn't like the underground segment quite as much as the level 1 segment, but it helps keep it from sounding repetitive. Eleventeen thumbs up for this one! :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I only thought it was ok the first time I heard it, but it has totally grown on me. It has the Triforce of everything I want in an OC Remix:

- Lively and Upbeat (as opposed to dreary, slow, and ambient)

- Avoids monotony by throwing in another song halfway through

- no generic and/or annoying instruments

I really like this remix :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

whoa, djps dying over this song

Its great, its got djps style but i think he should still do a remix of this as well!

My main complaint with the song, the kick drum sounds more like an instrument that isn't in tune with the rest of the song rather than a kick drum

• 5 months later...

Wow is this lame. Original song but with techno patches and a techno beat. Instrumentation is almost completely unchanged except for the weak bass line. Is this really all it takes to get on the site? It sounds like something an amateur would post in the WIP forum after spending 30 minutes with the FruityLoops demo.

Wow is this lame. Original song but with techno patches and a techno beat. Instrumentation is almost completely unchanged except for the weak bass line. Is this really all it takes to get on the site? It sounds like something an amateur would post in the WIP forum after spending 30 minutes with the FruityLoops demo.

Are you aware that this was posted before a panel or a standard existed? This would NEVER pass today.

Are you aware that this was posted before a panel or a standard existed? This would NEVER pass today.

I agree. This is crap. I'm so glad we have higher standards now.

First of all, the original track is bouncy. To make a super bouncy remix is just plain annoying. There are virtually no original variations on or even rearrangements of the theme.

Virtually every element of this mix seems bothersome and repetitive. Nothing develops, nothing builds, nothing fades, and all that's here is a dynamicless, pointless, droning mix (in that respect it reminds me of 80s metal).

When you analyze the track patterns closely, you can easily see that this was a practice mix using FL studio. The exact same set of loops is used everywhere, and the only background effect loops mindlessly without any correlation to the music.

• 2 months later...

Just because it isn't full of super-fancy and complex loops and sounds doesn't mean its not a good song. The greatness of this song comes out of its simplicity. It takes a really good tune and gives it some flavor. Insomnic does a great job of putting the spice on this awesome meal of a song.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00268 - Super Mario Bros. 2 "Insomnic"