Star Wolf - Dubstep Remix (Update 11/31)

DS394

So here's a thing brostep-y I started workin' on one day when I just had a lot of free time: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1RmRwKRXmElWHhyM0NKVjBqYnc/view?usp=sharing

This is currently the running rough draft, but there's gonna be a bit more added to it soon, along with some mixing fixes (as far as I can tell, there seems to be a bit too of the highs like hi-hat and saw chords while the subbass is not loud enough under some synths). Also, I might add an atmospheric sort of orchestral part between the drops with violins and horns. Any other advice?

Ooo, this is really neat. I'm loving the direction you're taking this so far - that orchestra caught me off guard. It's dirty, it's interesting and it does have some Star Wolf in it, lol.

The thing that catches me the most off the top is how the lead gets lost behind all of the sound. I know the sidechaining is to give yourself some room, but that lead does need to come out ahead some of your other elements. I hear a lot of dubby sounds that just overwhelm the lead, when the lead should be the thing grounding the listener to the source (such as at 2:07). Having the sidechaining affect it a bit less and mixing the other elements a little behind the lead when it's present would help considerably.

Very neat approach, I'll be listening to where you take this. :)

The bass is better, but every time that kick or tom hits, I'm still hearing it push the rest of the soundscape out of the way for a moment. It also interferes with some of the glitch effecting you have later on. You may want take another look at the EQ on the drums.

I do like the new softer orchestral bit at 1:38. Nice touch.

42 minutes ago, The Nikanoru said:

The bass is better, but every time that kick or tom hits, I'm still hearing it push the rest of the soundscape out of the way for a moment. It also interferes with some of the glitch effecting you have later on.

That's not necessarily a mistake - there are EDM styles that do this sort of cutting intentionally, which adds to the meat of the track. There are a few elements that I may or may not have comments on regardless, but I want to give this a listen on my better headphones at home before I give any comment on it.

I do like this, though - it's definitely an improvement on the other version.

51 minutes ago, The Nikanoru said:

The bass is better, but every time that kick or tom hits, I'm still hearing it push the rest of the soundscape out of the way for a moment.

7 minutes ago, Gario said:

That's not necessarily a mistake - there are EDM styles that do this sort of cutting intentionally, which adds to the meat of the track.

Yeah, from my dubstep experience, a well-sidechained kick and snare can basically take precedence over everything else. Here's an example of a track where you can reaaally notice it, yet it's still a legit dubstep track.

While I still have the numbers up (and before I listen on my other headphones), I thought I'd point out those numbers, as far as source usage goes.

I calculate 68 seconds of source in this bad boy. That puts it at about 36% source in the arrangement. I have no idea whether or not you planned on submitting the track (you very well could just be showing off in here, which is great, in my book), but IF you were, you'd definitely be called out for the track being too liberal.

That doesn't take anything away from the track in its own right, as it still sounds pretty damn good, but I thought I'd point that out, in case you ever, maybe, possibly wanted to submit the track.

I kind of hope you do, since real, raw dubstep is sorely misrepresented on the site, at the moment. ;)

I'm not familiar with the source but this sounds promising. I like the orchestral part in the middle, works pretty good. For me, the ending was a bit abrupt, guess I like to be eased into it more. Overall I'd say the track flows well and kept me interested despite me not being a full on dubstep fan. My biggest remark would be that the snare sounds pretty dull and I'd appreciate some more snap in it.

38 minutes ago, Gario said:

That's not necessarily a mistake - there are EDM styles that do this sort of cutting intentionally, which adds to the meat of the track.

29 minutes ago, DS394 said:

Yeah, from my dubstep experience, a well-sidechained kick and snare can basically take precedence over everything else.

As I tend to say, I am by no means an expert and do not profess to be a master mixer, so thank YOU both for teaching ME something. LOL

49 minutes ago, Gario said:

I calculate 68 seconds of source in this bad boy. That puts it at about 36% source in the arrangement. I have no idea whether or not you planned on submitting the track (you very well could just be showing off in here, which is great, in my book), but IF you were, you'd definitely be called out for the track being too liberal.

Heh, yeah putting the amount of source necessary for OCR would basically violate the laws of dubstep, as most songs are 25% melody, 25% build, and 50% drop (and that's being very liberal with the melody and build). Unless of course you wanted to go for melodic dubstep (which I did have some ideas for a melodic drop at one point), but that would necessitate a whole 'nother remix. Maybe if I have a lot of time again a while after this...

Thanks anyway for constructive critiques and comments :) 

Mmm hmm, I certainly do see your point, on the one hand - the builds and drops throughout are inherent to the genre. On the other hand (because I have two hands, see? Haha... ha... bad joke), your builds and drop aren't devoid of music - they're devoid of melody. There's no rule stating that source melodies and themes can't be textures and background elements instead of melodies and themes in an arrangement. You've got arpeggios and such in the background that could as easily be source themes transformed into background elements instead.

It sounds great either way, so you don't have to do more to the track, but I do want to point out that putting source into something isn't impossible to get close or past the threshold I'm thinking about. Trickier, due to genre limitations, but not inherently impossible. ;)

On 10/31/2016 at 2:58 PM, DS394 said:

Heh, yeah putting the amount of source necessary for OCR would basically violate the laws of dubstep, as most songs are 25% melody, 25% build, and 50% drop (and that's being very liberal with the melody and build). Unless of course you wanted to go for melodic dubstep (which I did have some ideas for a melodic drop at one point), but that would necessitate a whole 'nother remix. Maybe if I have a lot of time again a while after this...

Thanks anyway for constructive critiques and comments :) 

Dubstep doesn't have to be that rigid. I write dubstep every now and then (mixed with other genres, but still), and I don't make myself have that kind of structure. So maybe you oughta broaden your interpretation of dubstep; don't you get tired of following set formulas for it? :)