Final Fantasy III, Terra's Theme Techno Remix

waldoman

If there was a button on FLStudio that said "Final Fantasy Remix" and when it was pressed it would pop out a generic remix of an FF tune this would probably be the result. Its really generic. I will give you props though for starting out in the full swing of things, I liked it a lot better than the minute or two of just kicks, although its a bit too sudden. The gated saws are extremely generic, either add something to them or lose them. The piano adds a bit to the feel but it feels just a bit too much like a gimmick. The drumwork is decent at best, its a bit too generic sounding though. I really love the pad in the background though, you nailed that one spot on.

Anyways, I have a few suggestions:

1. Get rid of all the presets, either mold them to fit in together more or lose them completely and start from scratch. I almost never use presets anymore, and when I do I always mangle them enough and use them more as a building block than anything.

2. Replace the piano with something else, a synth maybe but the piano ain't working

3. Replace the drums, get some new samples, layer them on each other, then compress and EQ to how you see fit, at the moment they're just really generic dance drums.

4. I can't stress this one enough but with the atmosphere from the pads, it work work damn near perfect if you started doing sidechaining. Its a technique I recently (as in within the past month) have started doing but it causes an amazing effect as far as atmosphere goes. The best way I know how to describe it is its kind of like what a modulator is to a vocoder, a sidechain is to a compressor. Whenever the sidechain activates it compresses. This effect is used to insane extents in Filter House (like Daft Punk - One More Time) in order to get that "wooshing" feeling. Here's what I mean:

Without Sidechaining

With Sidechaining

Point is, doing this could add a lot of atmosphere. I may come back later and tell you how but a couple of searches around should teach you how to do it.

5. Get a good bassline in there. I can hear a quick Triangle/Sine-based wave going in great doing a bit of variation on the rhythm, or maybe one of those huge Saw "whomp" basslines where the filter envelope has a bit of attack on it so as the filter increases and kind of "slaps" down if you will. This type of bassline would go outstandingly with sidechaining as you can get the bass to cut in and out with the kick.

Anyways, hopefully this helped, good luck with remixing!

4. I can't stress this one enough but with the atmosphere from the pads, it work work damn near perfect if you started doing sidechaining. Its a technique I recently (as in within the past month) have started doing but it causes an amazing effect as far as atmosphere goes. The best way I know how to describe it is its kind of like what a modulator is to a vocoder, a sidechain is to a compressor. Whenever the sidechain activates it compresses. This effect is used to insane extents in Filter House (like Daft Punk - One More Time) in order to get that "wooshing" feeling. Here's what I mean:

Without Sidechaining

With Sidechaining

Point is, doing this could add a lot of atmosphere. I may come back later and tell you how but a couple of searches around should teach you how to do it.

Whoa! That's awesome! I've always liked that effect in techno, but never knew it had a name or how to do it! I'll have to monkey around with that. Can a sound like that be created with FL 5?

Damn Doomsday already beat me to it.

Well the only thing I add that's different at this point is about the piano.

You don't have to get rid of it all together, but it will need to change. Layered with some synths. Add more depth to it. Add some lfo or delay to it. Spice it up. Use different effects in different places in the mix for some much needed variation on it.

Without Sidechaining

With Sidechaining

Whoa! That's awesome! I've always liked that effect in techno, but never knew it had a name or how to do it! I'll have to monkey around with that. Can a sound like that be created with FL 5?

Yeah, that was made in Reason where its extremely simple to perform but I know its possible in FL, give me a minute and I'll crank out a .flp for you with sidechaining.

I've been trying for months to get sidechaining to work with Sonar 3. It's driving me nuts. CM did a tutorial on how to do it, unfortunately it's a higher version that supports surround sound, which v3 doesn't. Add to that that there don't seem to be many sidechaining freebies out there. The problem with the one I got is that you got to feed 2 stereo inputs into it, and for the life of me I can't figure out how. :?

Yeah, sorry for the thread disruption. :oops: I guess this is a feeble cry for help to anyone knowledgable. Been to KVR, no one could help me. Argh.

Anyway, the song. I agree with Doomsday, it's like someone pressed Generic FL FF3 Trance button. :lol: It doesn't suck, but you gotta make it alot more interesting.