Donkey Kong Country - Aquatic Ambiance (Space Remix)

Smooth4lyfe1987

I'm digging this.  It is smooth as hell, but it's pretty conservative.  I hear that Phil Collins influence (Mama is my favorite song), but it seems like it's lacking what's needed to set this mix apart from the rest.

I would put in a couple solos and change things up here and there, especially the drum work, fill ins, drop outs, filtering...get freaky with it!  That saw lead could use some beefing up as well.  Maybe some phasing and modulation would be nice.  And some nice transitions from section to section would be cool.

Never can have enough Aquatic Ambiance! It's funny you mention Phil Collins, because a lot of DKC songs are very reminiscent of Genesis/Phil Collins. :P

Onto your mix: the actual structure is pretty straightforward. Think you might have been able to introduce more unique patterns earlier into the song. The whistle effect that comes in at 0:46 is a little flat. Not sure if adding some reverb or a delay would help give it some more depth, but it might. The drum solo at 1:36 could probably benefit from hitting at different notes or mixing up the use of different types of toms. Don't think it captures the transition you're trying to achieve.

1:37 on is my favorite part. I love the acid synth arp in the background and when you start switching up the melody. The sound scape is really nice. You do a nice job using the synths, pads and beat to capture a darker atmosphere for AA.

I really enjoy this track and look forward to hearing where you take this! :) 

2 hours ago, noTuX said:

I'm digging this.  It is smooth as hell, but it's pretty conservative.  I hear that Phil Collins influence (Mama is my favorite song), but it seems like it's lacking what's needed to set this mix apart from the rest.

I would put in a couple solos and change things up here and there, especially the drum work, fill ins, drop outs, filtering...get freaky with it!  That saw lead could use some beefing up as well.  Maybe some phasing and modulation would be nice.  And some nice transitions from section to section would be cool.

Yeah I did get a little lazy I'll admit lol I could have definitely added some more sounds. I may mess with it some more thanks for the tips!