The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

CE

Fuck... Anyone know what to do when you have that little jousting match with the orc-thing on the boar? I've died three times to the guy (I went into it with only two hearts, and each time I continue, I still only have two, so dying happens very quickly. I only get a few shots at it before I get the "game over" screen again).

It's obvious that you have to slash at him when he passes, but I haven't managed to land a hit on him yet.

Nintendo just broke a law I think.

The amount of fun in Boss 4 is most likely illegal.

I want a boss attack mode just for that boss...

Let me tell you this: item 4 is well implemented in the boss battle, I cant explain how but it will be very well done.

QFE, QFE, and QFE.

Just got through this dungeon and want to find more places to use this item.

On another note, I seem to remember hearing something about there being a "Hard" mode after you beat the game, but that was back at E3 this year, and I haven't heard anything about it since. Is it still true? I would love to have a go at harder versions of these bosses.

Hey Calpis, since you went through 4 as well, you saw the followining dialogue...

Are you surprised by the turn of events?

Oh and how did you like the little bit of exposition showing some parts of OoT with improved graphics?

I wasn't expecting the mirror to be broken, yet once I saw it, I wasn't surprised, due to the fact that since it's a Zelda game, I needed pieces of something to collect. I was however, surprised by Ganondorf's appearance (he looks totally badass). I expected his first appearance to be later in the game, if at all. Who exactly are those guardians then? He killed one of them before they sealed him away. Either way, I'm gonna hold on storyline stuff for the next day or so. I'll go around and collect heart pieces and play all the minigames I can find.

"Oh and how did you like the little bit of exposition showing some parts of OoT with improved graphics?"

This sounds brilliant, and is yet another reason the European Wii launch seems so far away. I'm not actually getting mine til the 18th (my birthday), and I think I might actually die from anticipation before then.

w00t, yay for this game!!! It completely exceeded my expectations in every way, and I still have a long way to go (darn being busy :P). So worth the 2+ year wait! :D:D:D:D Soon, I'll be done with work for the day so I can go straight home and play some more!!

EDIT: oh, and yay for the awesomeness which is wolf Link. Makes me wonder if he's gonna transform in SSBB, or if perhaps they'll have the wolf as a separate character.

Gamespot makes me laugh.

Apparently "its the same old Zelda"

Objectively speaking, it's still a little disappointing that the series hasn't evolved much at all with this latest installment.
It's the same damn game we've all been playing for the last 15-odd years. Hey, guess what? You get to go into dungeons...and find items...and put together pieces of heart to make new heart containers.

I find Matt's comment extreamly odd. Dungeons, heart pieces, items... what do you expect?

But wait... I thought they didnt like Majora's Mask because it was "Too different"

Majora's Mask is a great game, but it isn't for everybody. Even though it uses the same engine that drove Ocarina of Time, and the gameplay is the same on the surface, the adventure is extremely different. Some will appreciate the game's differences, while others will find it slightly out of place.

And remember the GTA series? What was that they said about it being the same game over and over?

The Good: Tons of variety; well-written dialogue; terrific casting; great surprises; same strong gameplay

I also have some legit concerns that Jeffs large size and his self described laziness may have played a factor in him not liking the idea of having to swing his arms around to use the Wiimote.

But I expected this from the same site that gave Mario Kart 64 a rating of, you guessed it, a 6.4

LMFAO

Personally I don't care for voice acting but if other games have it, Zelda really needs to have it as well

Hey Calpis, since you went through 4 as well, you saw the followining dialogue...

Are you surprised by the turn of events?

Oh and how did you like the little bit of exposition showing some parts of OoT with improved graphics?

I wasn't expecting the mirror to be broken, yet once I saw it, I wasn't surprised, due to the fact that since it's a Zelda game, I needed pieces of something to collect. I was however, surprised by Ganondorf's appearance (he looks totally badass). I expected his first appearance to be later in the game, if at all. Who exactly are those guardians then? He killed one of them before they sealed him away. Either way, I'm gonna hold on storyline stuff for the next day or so. I'll go around and collect heart pieces and play all the minigames I can find.

Gah, i'll hate myself forever for not reading the line that said BIG SPOILERS!! ><

Then again, it's still two weeks from the european launch, and although i pre-orderd mine, it's not really certain i'll get one. So it's only natural. :roll:

Some people are saying that Zelda is just recycling the same thing over and over. Collect items, go through dungeons, beat bosses, kill Ganon...

I say they put everything in space! And you fly a ship called Epona. That would totally kick ass!

Or not.

But really, I cant WAIT till I get to play this. I cant afford a Wii right now, so Im waiting for the GC release.

Some people are saying that Zelda is just recycling the same thing over and over. Collect items, go through dungeons, beat bosses, kill Ganon...

I say they put everything in space! And you fly a ship called Epona. That would totally kick ass!

Or not.

But really, I cant WAIT till I get to play this. I cant afford a Wii right now, so Im waiting for the GC release.

I'm hoping that the comment was just a sarcastic reference to Mario Galaxy.

I got to play it some yesterday. It was wonderful. The whole vibe is very "Zelda" from the start. And I have to say that the music is cool, both new and old tunes.

Holding the controller and nunchuk is as engaging and exciting as squeezing a pair of boobs.

I almost had an orgasm the first time I aimed and threw a bird to catch a basket.

Gamespot makes me laugh.

Apparently "its the same old Zelda"

Objectively speaking, it's still a little disappointing that the series hasn't evolved much at all with this latest installment.
It's the same damn game we've all been playing for the last 15-odd years. Hey, guess what? You get to go into dungeons...and find items...and put together pieces of heart to make new heart containers.

I find Matt's comment extreamly odd. Dungeons, heart pieces, items... what do you expect?

But wait... I thought they didnt like Majora's Mask because it was "Too different"

Majora's Mask is a great game, but it isn't for everybody. Even though it uses the same engine that drove Ocarina of Time, and the gameplay is the same on the surface, the adventure is extremely different. Some will appreciate the game's differences, while others will find it slightly out of place.

And remember the GTA series? What was that they said about it being the same game over and over?

The Good: Tons of variety; well-written dialogue; terrific casting; great surprises; same strong gameplay

I also have some legit concerns that Jeffs large size and his self described laziness may have played a factor in him not liking the idea of having to swing his arms around to use the Wiimote.

But I expected this from the same site that gave Mario Kart 64 a rating of, you guessed it, a 6.4

LMFAO

Personally I don't care for voice acting but if other games have it, Zelda really needs to have it as well
Man dude, in the unmod I just thought you were being a blind fanboy asswipe, but that review is pretty lol.

This is apparently the GameSpot editor's response to the criticism of Jeffs review.

Since I know people are upset about the review (which is odd considering how few people have played this game at the moment), I figured I'd share some opinions based on playing through the first five hours or so of the game.

It's the same damn game we've all been playing for the last 15-odd years. Hey, guess what? You get to go into dungeons...and find items...and put together pieces of heart to make new heart containers. I haven't gotten very far into it, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Triforce is in the mix at some point.

There's a difference between tradition and ossification, and Nintendo's been content to let this series stay the same for too damn long. What's more, in a lot of ways it's actually getting to be pretty annoying. The helper characters, in particular, seem to be intended to be cute, but they wind up being maddeningly insufferable. In a lot of ways, Midna, the helper character from Twilight Princess, is even worse than Tingle from Wind Waker. And I don't know whose idea it was to make the first dungeon in the game feature a large number of monkeys that follow you around making incessent monkey noises, but they should be shot. Most annoying. sound. ever. When you have the pointer active, it also makes a shimmering sound as you move the Wiimote around. It never ever stops making this sound, and it got so damn annoying that I simply turned the pointer off completely.

Since every game in this series is more or less the same, outside of minor details, choosing among them is more or less a matter of deciding which style suits you best. Wind Waker had, at the very least, a graphical sensibility that was unique, whereas Twilight Princess just seems...generic. For a game that plays up its theoretically realistic graphical style, it also has to do a bit better job of representing the world; it's fine that the Wii isn't as powerful as a 360 or a PS3, but at the very least it should be capable of matching the best-looking games on the GameCube.

From top to bottom, Twilight Princess is a game that was transparently designed for the GameCube and hacked to work on the Wii. The controls feel kind of shoddy in a lot of ways. I guess what disappoints me most about this game is the lack of ambition and innovation. The Wii has some promising ideas behind it, but if they're content to have their flagship title be Just Another Zelda Game then they're getting off on the wrong foot.

I guess if you like the Zelda formula, then you'll like this game. Speaking for myself, though, I can't imagine how anyone really gets excited for them anymore; the recycling of game mechanics ventured into self-parody territory years ago. I really think the series needs to take a cue from Resident Evil 4 and reinvent itself completely. Heck, even the Final Fantasy games manage to make some big changes to the series' conventions with each installation. As it is, everything about Twilight Princess, and pretty much every game in the series aside from The Adventure of Link, smacks of Nintendo being content to play it safe with their big-money series. Give me something new!

I thought they where supposed to be a professional game reviews site, not a bunch of 12 year olds.

Lack of inovation? Ocarina of Times wasnt really all that inovative other than the fact that it made the jump from 2d to 3d. According to their guidlines, its the same game; collect stuff, beat dungeons, save the princess.

I really dont see how they want it to change. I play a Zelda game expecting to collect stuff, solve puzzles, and go through dungeons. What do they want? A Zelda kart racer? And why single out Zelda? Why not complain about lack of inovation with other games? Gears of War is just Goldeneye with pretty graphics. Same concept by GameSpots definition. Pick up guns, shoot bad guys, and I havnt played it yet, but Im going to go out on a limb and guess there are some mission objectives in the mix at some point.

I also hear a lot of people saying "Its just one mans opinion, dont worry about it." I dont go to GameSpot to read people opinions. I go there to read an unbiased review of games. I want to hear whats in the game and how well the game works. I dont want to hear a rant about how your tired of collecting things and going through dungeons.

I now decree that Gamespot's Wii editor fails at reviewing games.

I think he was too busy trying to find weak points in the game to realize that is really damn fun.

The gameplay doesn't feel tacked on or rehashed at all: it's just good, solid, refined Zelda, and that's good enough for me. I just want to see them bitch and moan when Halo 3 comes out.