The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

CE

I agree on the midi part. I personally love games that can change & shift to match what's happening on screen. The midi in TP is really great, & sounds good enough to fool you into thinking that it's orchestrated at points. Especially the field theme. I think most people just want to have that fully orchestrated in game for novelties sake. I' much rather have dynamic music that changes to fit the mood, rather than a static fully orchestrated track that awkwardly transitions into other tracks.

Not to say i'm against orchestrated game soundtracks, I like em just fine. I just prefer the dynamics midi offers.

Same here, this is also why I prefer cutscenes to be done with the in-game engine rather than all the pre-rendered crap first introduced by the PSX and still being used in games today.

Dynamic stuff just adds a level of involvement to a game, even if it's small.

In my view, Twilight Princess has excellent music, and the samples used are of high quality.

After playing the Gamecube version, I can honestly say it's much better. The controls are so much more fluid and simple, and despite my initial assumption that it wouldn't make a difference, the gameworld actually seems much more... I don't know, better, when it isn't flipped around. It feels more natural.

After playing the Gamecube version, I can honestly say it's much better. The controls are so much more fluid and simple, and despite my initial assumption that it wouldn't make a difference, the gameworld actually seems much more... I don't know, better, when it isn't flipped around. It feels more natural.

That's odd. I feel the opposite way. I guess it just depends whether you like the controls or not. But, I have to disagree with you on the flipped part. It's pretty much the same awesome design flipped or not.

So, are people already overlaying maps to see the similarities and differences? Ocarina of Time had a similar thing going on with A Link to the Past. The Temple of Time in OoT for example sits in the exact same position as the Lost Woods in LttP, and other areas match up as well. It also helps a bit in timeline placement(Although some parts are obvious)

I think the whole overlaying maps should be loosely interpreted, not literal like many people are doing:

example: OMGZ! Kakariko Village in TP is 2.5 degrees off of the coordinates of OOT! Some cataclysmic event moved it.

The above is an exaggeration of what people say, of course. But seriously, I think Miyamoto places the villages and other important locations roughly where they ought to be, not spot on. If he did, then every Zelda game would, by necessity, have to be the same dimensions map-wise every single time, and that, well, gets old. If the games are to grow, so are the maps.

The slightly off placements of certain locations (or altogether different locations) are placed there not to confuse the timeline or because of cataclysmic events or whatnot, but simply, to expand the world that us, as gamers, can navigate. At most, I'd say each game produced reveals to us more of what the world of Hyrule really IS, rather than story-driven changes. Each following game produced reveals features and details that were not doable before because of tech limitations. Simply put, the world of Hyrule is expanding because technology allows Miyamoto to do that, and every time that happens he "paints" us a better picture of what he imagines Hyrule to be.

SPOILERS

How about the question of the OOT Kakariko? Assuming that the sign in the hidden village really does say 'Welcome to Kakariko', which one is it? Obviously the first Kakariko's proximity to Death Mountain is what it's got going for it, but the second has the character (basically) saying that Impa was created for the Sheikah as the OOT one was, and the fact the first one doesn't look anything like OOTs (except perhaps the graveyard). Whereas the second one could conceivably be a small part of a developed OOT kakriko.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Ok, I'm in the sky palace and I'm completely stumped. I have no idea where to go. I got the boss key, but can't figure out where to go now. It would appear that there is a switch in the central room that I need to hit (I'm guessing it will get the fans outside the northern door to spin, which should enable me to get to the northern tower, where the boss appears to be).

Anyway, I'm finally breaking down and accepting hints on how to get this switch.

SPOILERS

How about the question of the OOT Kakariko? Assuming that the sign in the hidden village really does say 'Welcome to Kakariko', which one is it? Obviously the first Kakariko's proximity to Death Mountain is what it's got going for it, but the second has the character (basically) saying that Impa was created for the Sheikah as the OOT one was, and the fact the first one doesn't look anything like OOTs (except perhaps the graveyard). Whereas the second one could conceivably be a small part of a developed OOT kakriko.

Anyone have any thoughts?

My thoughts are that TP and OoT are completely unrelated, which are also my thoughts on the original, LttP, Link's Awakening, etc.

So, are people already overlaying maps to see the similarities and differences? Ocarina of Time had a similar thing going on with A Link to the Past. The Temple of Time in OoT for example sits in the exact same position as the Lost Woods in LttP, and other areas match up as well. It also helps a bit in timeline placement(Although some parts are obvious)

Nah, just that as far as I can tell, Death Mountain in the east and Lake Hylia and the desert in the west is more consistant. That said, what the fuck Zora's domain.

Ok, finally finished the game. And honestly, I think it tops Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past as the best Zelda game to date. Both from a gaming perspective and from a cinematic/storytelling perspective, it was brilliantly executed.

I agree. The only thing that OOT and LTP have over this one is the better implementation of dungeon items in the overworld. Besides that, it is all very nice. i beat it a couple of days ago, missed some heart pieces and bugs, have to go do other sidequests, etc.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I beat the game and feel like I didn't stop to truly enjoy the scenery, since I was too busy concentrating on killing enemies. Now that I set out to finish the sidequests and go for 100% completion, I will take my time to enjoy every little nook and cranny there is.

Nah, just that as far as I can tell, Death Mountain in the east and Lake Hylia and the desert in the west is more consistant. That said, what the fuck Zora's domain.

That's because the GameCube version, which is a mirror image of the Wii version, is actually the official version. In the GC, Link is once again left-handed, and the locations match up a lot more accurately with OoT (with the obvious exception of the Temple of Time).

I don't know about the rest of you, but I beat the game and feel like I didn't stop to truly enjoy the scenery, since I was too busy concentrating on killing enemies. Now that I set out to finish the sidequests and go for 100% completion, I will take my time to enjoy every little nook and cranny there is.

I've got over 80 hours on this now cause I've played through twice, and I still haven't done a 100% completion. Still need to get all the poes on my second one.

Ok, finally finished the game. And honestly, I think it tops Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past as the best Zelda game to date. Both from a gaming perspective and from a cinematic/storytelling perspective, it was brilliantly executed.

I haven't played Link to the Past yet (one of those weirdos who had a Genesis instead of SNES...waiting for it to come onto the Virtual Console) so I can't judge it against that, but I also found Twilight Princess to be more enjoyable than Ocarina of Time. Specifically, enjoyed the story more, as I felt it to be more involved.