PRC336 - Let's Ruin This Castle (Super Mario Land)

Bundeslang

The People's Remix Competition 336
PRCv13-24

Hello everyone and Welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

Last round PlanarianHugger was the only one who submitted something in time. Since he was the winner of PRC334, that was a bonus mix. To keep the contest moving, Bundeslang promised to do a short remix of that source to end the round and continue to the next round.

MarioLand_1.jpgpic.pl?MarioLand

Source: Super Mario Land 1 - Ruins Theme (GB)

MIDI

Source Information

ThaSauce link: Click here to submit

To submit a song at the compo page a ThaSauce account is required.

To register and submit, do the following.

• Click the ThaSauce Link.
  • Click the 'You are not logged in' button in the upper right.
  • Click on 'register' (at the bottom).
  • Read the terms and click 'I agree to these terms'. If you don't agree with them, upload the song somewhere else and post a download link as mentioned above (by doing that, you allow me to upload the song at ThaSauce.
  • Continue the process by filling in your information.
  • You will get a question to confirm that you're not a robot. Here are some possible answers:
    • Name a compo: PRC
    • Who organizes One Hour Compo: Starla
    • Name a ThaSauce subdomain: compo.thasauce.net
    • Who created Mega Mans: Capcom
  • A confirmation mail will be send. There might be some issues with it (meaning that you don't get it), if that is the case, upload the song somewhere else as described above.
  • Once registered, login with your username and password, go to the mentioned page and submit the song. If you want submit two or more songs you can create multiple ThaSauce accounts or upload the song somewhere else and post the download link.
  • After uploadeding your song, please check if your song plays and can be downloaded and played without problems. Only upload MP3 files.

If anyone has problems with registering or uploading the song to ThaSauce, please upload the song somewhere else and post a download link in the thread. I recommend Soundcloud, don't forget to allow downloads to enable me to upload the song at ThaSauce.

PRC instructions

• Limitations at ThaSauce require your entry to be 20 MB or less in size. Length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed (only as Bonus Mixes).
  • Entries must be posted at the ThaSauce Link by Wednesday November 30th 2016 at 8:59 am ThaSauce time, check the ThaSauce page for the exact time left.
  • You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix. You can also upload it somewhere else and put a download link in this thread
  • Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.
  • Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they recieve a free first place vote added onto their score.
  • The winner of this round may select the source for PRC337
  • PlanarianHugger may enter as well.
  • You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC.png

Updated my PRC sites with the latest rounds. Also edited the ThaSauce pages in such a way that the results are correct (the scores might not be correct, but the songs are in the right order).

As mentioned before, the winner will select the source for PRC337. PRC338 will be the traditional anniversary round, this year it will again be a free round (with no limitations). The winner of PRC337 will select the source for PRC339. The winners of PRC338 and PRC339 both may pick a source for PRC340.

Hopefully the coming rounds will get more love as the latest ones, PRC331 was the last round with 3+ songs, PRC323 (if I'm correct) was the last round which ended on the originally planned deadline with more than 2 songs). I might consider changing the contest a bit, but I'm not sure yet.

The VGM community fragmentation is but a relic of the past that needs to go. Participating to TS compos is a process far too convoluted for its own good, especially in this day and age. Too many signing-up / signing-in and out of different sites to join/upload/vote, too much back and forth, which isn't user friendly. Add to that the fact PRC is a relatively small event with modest following, focused on obscure games and taking place on 2 different websites dedicated to a relatively niche and often misunderstood hobby. Think about how these barriers of entry potentially restrict the compo and might discourage aspiring participants.

OCR compos are successful in no small part due to covering popular games, which help attract a bigger crowd including well-known remixers, which in turn create anticipation and emulation. Addtionally, compos are being run entirely on site, including discussions, submissions and voting. Last but not least, their existence is being relayed via social medias, which helps spread the word about them. On the other hand, TS main site has been in limbo for a while, with no new mixes posted on RTS, next to no news posted on TS and no community interaction within the website proper. The life of the party comes from Compos, which are sadly being run in the back room in relative obscurity. It's nobdy's fault of course, but without some kind of promotion, participation remains limited to whoever already knows about PRC, is familiar with the current round's game, or is ok with the convoluted submission/voting process.

Kevin, man: the sheer dedication/hardwork you've put into running this compo for so many years is awe-inspiring. But these events need to be consolidated/integrated into a common hub where people interact regularly, not relegated to a dark corner of the web alongside those who make TS compos a reality. A bit of social media advertising might also do some good, cause unless you spread the word or go actively fishing for new blood, people aren't gonna magically show up in droves on your doorstep. Another idea could be to release yearly abums with the winning remixes or themed compilations of PRC songs, to promote the event. Lastly, getting in touch with VGM radios/hosts could help raise awareness for the compo and in turn improve participation.

Been slowly getting back into remixing, so I will do my best to join the compo again in the near future, whenever life permits. :)

On 11/24/2016 at 11:54 AM, Dj Mokram said:

The VGM community fragmentation is but a relic of the past that needs to go. Participating to TS compos is a process far too convoluted for its own good, especially in this day and age. Too many signing-up / signing-in and out of different sites to join/upload/vote, too much back and forth, which isn't user friendly. Add to that the fact PRC is a relatively small event with modest following, focused on obscure games and taking place on 2 different websites dedicated to a relatively niche and often misunderstood hobby. Think about how these barriers of entry potentially restrict the compo and might discourage aspiring participants.

OCR compos are successful in no small part due to covering popular games, which help attract a bigger crowd including well-known remixers, which in turn create anticipation and emulation. Addtionally, compos are being run entirely on site, including discussions, submissions and voting. Last but not least, their existence is being relayed via social medias, which helps spread the word about them. On the other hand, TS main site has been in limbo for a while, with no new mixes posted on RTS, next to no news posted on TS and no community interaction within the website proper. The life of the party comes from Compos, which are sadly being run in the back room in relative obscurity. It's nobdy's fault of course, but without some kind of promotion, participation remains limited to whoever already knows about PRC, is familiar with the current round's game, or is ok with the convoluted submission/voting process.

Kevin, man: the sheer dedication/hardwork you've put into running this compo for so many years is awe-inspiring. But these events need to be consolidated/integrated into a common hub where people interact regularly, not relegated to a dark corner of the web alongside those who make TS compos a reality. A bit of social media advertising might also do some good, cause unless you spread the word or go actively fishing for new blood, people aren't gonna magically show up in droves on your doorstep. Another idea could be to release yearly abums with the winning remixes or themed compilations of PRC songs, to promote the event. Lastly, getting in touch with VGM radios/hosts could help raise awareness for the compo and in turn improve participation.

Been slowly getting back into remixing, so I will do my best to join the compo again in the near future, whenever life permits. :)

Hahahaha.  If you guys ask me, I'm okay with 2-3 participants per round personally.  Means less vote tallying.  Still, having 4-5 participants is pretty awesome and makes me feel more relevant in the community (T_T).  More than 5 gets a bit out of hand, though.  These ideas seem pretty sound ;) 

Looking forward to seeing you back in the compo scene Dj Mokram!

Thanks for the replies. PlanarianHugger is telling the truth, many rounds end with only 1 song and 1 or 0 votes. Thanks again for entering, without your participation several rounds might not have ended with a winner. 

DJ Mokram is right, promoting the contest more might help to get more participants. The ThaSauce community is old and having to sign up for that might be an obstacle.

For me, organising the contest this way doesn't take a lot of time (+- 30 minutes per round, without voting and making songs). That's the reason why I'm still doing it, if it takes more time I cannot do it. I don't always have the time to actively promote the contest via Facebook or other social media platforms.

I'll make a poll about the contest in the next round. Depending on the outcome of that poll and the number of songs in the upcoming rounds I may take action. I don't want to change to many things since PRC must remain PRC and not change in a different contest.

Possible options:

- Stop forcing to use ThaSauce, let people upload the song where they want. I still can open the ThaSauce page as a possible place to have songs uploaded. Voting at this site (public voting).

- Make the rounds longer (1 month, like DOD)

- Let winners select a game instead of a specific source.

- Use sources from the request forum.

- Remove the limitation that sources may not have a song at Ocremix.

- Don't extend when the deadline is over.

EDIT: Two Days extension.

On 11/24/2016 at 11:54 AM, Dj Mokram said:

Another idea could be to release yearly abums with the winning remixes or themed compilations of PRC songs, to promote the event.

back in Jan 17 2015, for prc season 11. I kind of did that but placed it all on one youtube vid instead of an album. I was attempting to do it again for season 12 but some stuff happened here and there and I basically dropped the ball pretty badly. I don't know If I'll even attempt to make a season 13 vid because I really don't like saying I'll get something done just for me to not finish it; whether the project is small or large. I mean I wouldn't mind helping out in the end, I just don't like the feeling of betraying someone that has giving me the opportunity to be apart of "said" project.

8 hours ago, Bundeslang said:

Possible options:

- Stop forcing to use ThaSauce, let people upload the song where they want. I still can open the ThaSauce page as a possible place to have songs uploaded. Voting at this site (public voting).

- Make the rounds longer (1 month, like DOD)

- Let winners select a game instead of a specific source.

- Use sources from the request forum.

- Remove the limitation that sources may not have a song at Ocremix.

- Don't extend when the deadline is over.

- I've always felt PRC and MNP were brothers in arms since they're both being about 2 week long compos. It's probably still the best place for newcomers or beginners to show up. The monthly compos that does show up here usually last more than a month also while bringing plenty of people to its roster, but also has its fair issues of dropouts. Now the albums that gets formed here are basically the yearly compos but also with higher standards.

So in short, I kind of view these time based compos as the difficulty meter:

Biweekly = Easy <> Monthly = Medium <> Yearly(Albums) = Hard

I'm NOT saying the people that go to these compos (and/or stay) are without or lacking experience in any way. This is just my view of the compos that are based on time and encourages everyone to enter no matter how experienced the person is.

- I honestly like How the winners can't choose songs that are already in OCR, It helps bring new life to possible games and tracks that never got the love. I also liked it when it was a specific source because it was always super interesting on the many different possibilities and renditions people have made mixing in with there only style. Using some sources from the request forums is a pretty cool idea, could have the potential of bringing in more people. 

This is just my thoughts of the matter and hope all is well for the future of PRC. :) 

Hmm some interesting input. I may consider implementing some of what DJ Mokram and Bundeslang posited, espoused and suggested - variations of the same thing, I know.  *sips tea* - I'll see how Bundaslang fares and what other people suggest/tell me to do.  Ride the tide, as they say.  But for now, I'm okay with sticking to ThaSauce.  Hopefully PRC will get more participation.  I might have to hop in and participate myself ;) - I really appreciate what you do for the compo scene Bundaslang and for helping to keep it alive :D 

2 hours ago, Supercoolmike said:

- I've always felt PRC and MNP were brothers in arms since they're both being about 2 week long compos. It's probably still the best place for newcomers or beginners to show up. The monthly compos that does show up here usually last more than a month also while bringing plenty of people to its roster, but also has its fair issues of dropouts. Now the albums that gets formed here are basically the yearly compos but also with higher standards.

So in short, I kind of view these time based compos as the difficulty meter:

Biweekly = Easy <> Monthly = Medium <> Yearly(Albums) = Hard

I'm NOT saying the people that go to these compos (and/or stay) are without or lacking experience in any way. This is just my view of the compos that are based on time and encourages everyone to enter no matter how experienced the person is.

- I honestly like How the winners can't choose songs that are already in OCR, It helps bring new life to possible games and tracks that never got the love. I also liked it when it was a specific source because it was always super interesting on the many different possibilities and renditions people have made mixing in with there only style. Using some sources from the request forums is a pretty cool idea, could have the potential of bringing in more people. 

This is just my thoughts of the matter and hope all is well for the future of PRC. :) 

I echo Supercoolmike's thoughts. PRC has made me a better musician. The combination of shorter time forces me to finish songs and the selection of the source forces me out of my musical comfort zone. I don't know about where the music is to be submitted to, but it at least needs to be in a central easy to listen to location. If that is or is not ThaSauce then I don't know. I think the best way to get more people involved is to somehow better market the competition. An album at the end of the year might be a good way to do that. Some people (like me) haven't been on one and that could help ease people to the next step of making music. 

I just want PRC to continue so that it can help other starting musicians.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it a lot. I'm not stopping PRC yet; only if the upcoming 10 rounds have 10 extensions and <= 10 songs with only 10 votes and 5 default wins by myself I might consider it.

I also don't want to stop remixing unknown sources and start remixing the Ice Cap theme for the 29658th time, since that will be the end of PRC and the start of the BRC (Bundeslang's Remix Competition). We already had someting in the past called the Popular Track Music Competition (only 1 round was done, Terra's Theme).

Some interesting comments are made already, like the point about the length of the contest. Another interesting discussion might be: should PRC and MnP have similar deadlines (so that people can choose between or do both) or have different deadlines so that there's always a possibility to work on a song for one of the contests. I might change the schedule a bit so that deadlines are not at the same date (MnP has a bit longer remixing stage and takes 3 weeks in total on average).

I take this all into account when I set up the poll for the next round.

On 28/11/2016 at 3:25 PM, Bundeslang said:

EDIT: Two Days extension.

Oh, snap! Didn't notice the extension. Been wanting to remix Easton Kingdom for aeons. Lemme see if I can cook up something awful in 3 hours. :P

On 29/11/2016 at 0:56 AM, Supercoolmike said:

- I honestly like How the winners can't choose songs that are already in OCR, It helps bring new life to possible games and tracks that never got the love.

On 29/11/2016 at 1:57 PM, Bundeslang said:

I also don't want to stop remixing unknown sources and start remixing the Ice Cap theme for the 29658th time, since that will be the end of PRC

To clarify, I never meant to imply changing the compo to arrange super popular and overmixed songs. I was just using OCR as an example of success within the compo context. PRC must remain true to its goals and if you know me at all, then you know that arranging music from lesser-known games is my raison d'être as well. ;)

On 29/11/2016 at 3:30 AM, PlanarianHugger said:

I echo Supercoolmike's thoughts. PRC has made me a better musician. [...] I just want PRC to continue so that it can help other starting musicians.

Amen to that, brother. PRC and OHC have done so much for me back when I joined the community. It's one of the best way for newcomers to get their feet wet with remixing or for old timers to jump right back in after a long break. Compos are always a fun challenge and a great place to share, learn and grow as an artist whilst having a good time. :)

On 11/29/2016 at 4:57 AM, Bundeslang said:

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it a lot. I'm not stopping PRC yet; only if the upcoming 10 rounds have 10 extensions and <= 10 songs with only 10 votes and 5 default wins by myself I might consider it.

I also don't want to stop remixing unknown sources and start remixing the Ice Cap theme for the 29658th time, since that will be the end of PRC and the start of the BRC (Bundeslang's Remix Competition). We already had someting in the past called the Popular Track Music Competition (only 1 round was done, Terra's Theme).

Some interesting comments are made already, like the point about the length of the contest. Another interesting discussion might be: should PRC and MnP have similar deadlines (so that people can choose between or do both) or have different deadlines so that there's always a possibility to work on a song for one of the contests. I might change the schedule a bit so that deadlines are not at the same date (MnP has a bit longer remixing stage and takes 3 weeks in total on average).

I take this all into account when I set up the poll for the next round.

Actually, at LEAST 10-15 rounds ago, I moved to a 2 week model and am usually pretty strict about it, other than the occasional extension.  Or two (AT THE MOST).  I haven't really been comparing the deadlines, but if everyone thinks that Bundaslang and I should stagger the due dates, then I'm open.  Back to the previous tangent, I know that a 3-4 week long round is generally speaking too long, which I think Supercoolmike and someone else had pointed out a while back.  

Also... I will have to get more involved in PRC somehow - if anything it'd inspire me to get off my ass and actually remix something ;) - I don't wish to see PRC going extinct T_T

Good to see three songs at the end. I was sick in the last days (don't worry it doesn't have anything to do with the low number of entries in the last rounds:-D), so I wasn't able to 'officially' start the voting stage, but of course everyone knows how to vote. For those who don't, here's the announcement. I didn't listen to the songs yet, I will vote tomorrow. If my double vote will result in a tie, the song who gots the most points without my vote will win.

11 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Also, this round needs moar votes :P I don't want to be the only deciding factor here lol!

Don't know for now, but I will vote first and then check how many votes there are (to not influence my vote).:-D

Welcome to the voting stage 

The mixing stage is over. This round has 3 songs. The following people compete against each other    

PlanarianHugger

Supercoolmike

DJ Mokram

(If anyone wants a different colour / picture, please reply). For some reason I cannot upload new pictures anymore so I don't do that this time.

To vote, do the following:

• Visit the stated ThaSauce Page and listen to all the entries.
  • Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen.
  • Fill in the entries from first to third.
  • State a reasoning for it.
  • Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. However, they may not vote for themselve, they only have to fill in the first box, they should leave the third box empty. They get a free first place if they vote, so it helps for the results. Non participants are encouraged to vote to decide the winner and leave comments.
  • The winner of last round, Bundeslang, has a vote that counts twice.
  • Always look in this thread to find out who's the winner of the round after the voting stage instead of only looking at ThaSauce for the results.

You have until THIS Friday, December 2nd 12:59 am ThaSauce time to vote.

The winner may choose the source tune for PRC337.

Check the ThaSauce Page to vote.

If anyone have issues voting via ThaSauce you can vote by sending me a PM at Ocremix.

Results Time

The results are as follows:

Number of participants: 3 (thanks for submitting)

Number of votes:  8 (an amazing number of votes, thanks to everyone for the votes)

Lastplace.jpgSupercoolmike.jpgSupercoolmike did a nice one, but a score of 15 points is not enough to not get the last place wooden spoon.

Secondplace.jpgPlanarianHugger.jpgPlanarianHugger only avoided the spoon by one point, he got 16 points and second place

Firstplace.jpgThe winner of PRC336 is DJ Mokram, with 23 points congratulations.

At the end I didn't double my vote since it didn't matter for the results (if I'm correct). For some reason Ocremix doesn't let me place images with new url's anymore so I cannot add the picture of DJMokram here. Just imagine that his signature is there.

DJ Mokram, you did an amazing job. You may select the next source. Send the source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your source as fast as you can, but before this Sunday (4 December), 10:59 AM ThaSauce time.

You may select any source for any game, but not a source with an OverClocked remix or a source which has been used in PRC before. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links:

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

Check the ThaSauce Page for the results.