Streets of Rage 2 WIP - Get Started (Updated 12/18/2006)

Nutritious

Hey, this is my first WIP for OCR, so I was hoping to get some ideas/constructive criticism:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=621908

This is a remix of the first stage music of SOR2.

*Update* Version 3 now up on same link as above.

Midi of the original can be found at:

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/sega/genesis/SoRII1st.mid

If you want something closer to the original, you can get the OST from OCR (you can play it in winamp with the plugins from www.chipamp.org):

http://www.ocremix.org/songs/original/Streets_of_Rage_2.zip

Sorry, but this needs a lot of work. The drums are too quiet, the reverb-click type sound at the beginning is WAY too loud(This should be fixed if you turn the drums up), and like pu freak said, it sounds a little empty. Try adding some string style sound effects in the background, a deep pounding bass wouldn't hurt either, but you don't have to do either one if you don't want to. It sounds great to me, it reminded me a lot of some songs by Orbital. I haven't heard the music from that game, but I suggest you add a little more original stuff, it might sound a bit better that way. Also, the drums are a little too simple. Keep what you've got for them, the beat is awesome, just add some additional sounds for percussion. A good one would be a snare rim hit. This is actually a great ReMix, I started bopping my head to the beat, but it needs a bit of work. Keep at it ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds pretty good for early stuff. But there are some pretty easy things that need to be fixed. First, up the bass, the song sounds hard so you need real deep hard bass. Second, work with the drums, drums are critical in a song, make the drums a lot louder and work a little on the repetativeness. You still have to add some stuff to the song too, but I think it has a lot of potential and I'm a huge fan of SOR2 so I'll be looking forward to the finished remix.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, sorry for the long delay in updating, due to computer issues my project file was completely wiped out. Anyway, I started over from scratch and have made several updates to the tune. You can reach the beta2 version from the same link in the original post.

I appreciate the criticism above. I've messed with the levels on the bass and drums to bring them out more. Also, I've started working on tweaking/eliminating the repetative parts of the song. Don't judge this as a near-finished product though. I admit there is quite a ways to go on it :).

• 2 weeks later...
interesting mix... (I can't remember the source, but I also never liked the SoR2 OST)

however, it's quite boring till now. it hardly got my attention, except for the ending at 2:55-3:27

I'll be waiting for your next reply

That's why it's here in WIP :). Interestingly, though, that section is where I've deviated the most from the source so far. I can agree, though, that there's not enough going on in the other sections to make them very interesting, so I'll continue to work on them.

Since most here aren't familiar with the source tune, I've updated the original post with links to it. Meanwhile, I'll be working on the next update.