OCR03457 - Donkey Kong Country "Kong's Final Swim"

Liontamer

Aquatic Ambiance never gets old, so of course I can listen to this for 11 minutes. But I thought there was a limit on music duration. Anyway, I like the section around the middle of this track. Strange sounds began to be introduced and it building up was pretty nice. ZiSotto did a great job at capturing the aquatic feeling that the original had.

I enjoy long-form ambient very much and this is a welcome addition to OCR catalog, personally speaking. Well paced and sounds pleasant. The guitar samples are a little funny though, and some of the pitch bends kind of stick out here and there. As a plus the samples and their usage reminds me of old school tracker tunes. The good far outweighs the minor criticisms there.

3 hours ago, evktalo said:

As a plus the samples and their usage reminds me of old school tracker tunes.

Good call, yes... it's not a traditional ambient approach, there are certain sounds used that stick out & some which recall trackers/mods to me, too.

12 hours ago, Uffe von Lauterbach said:

But I thought there was a limit on music duration.

There's no strict limit any more, but there's a practical limit in the sense that the arrangement has to keep developing and also can't just be dozens of tunes thrown together into a mega mix or something like that :)

14 hours ago, Uffe von Lauterbach said:

Aquatic Ambiance never gets old, so of course I can listen to this for 11 minutes. But I thought there was a limit on music duration.

Interesting bit of trivia: this one track forced OCR to change its standards on length and file size, adopting the current standard we know and love today due to its sheer overwhelming awesomeness. Such is the way things go sometimes, and I don't think a single person is worse off because of it.

Except Pretzel's hosts, but whatever. :P

ANYHOO,

This is a great arrangement - takes its time and does so in such a way where it doesn't really lose you. The harmonies are rich, and honestly it never falls into the temptation of bringing everything in at once and blasting you, either. I like a good blastin' from time to time, but I appreciate the music that lets you just enjoy it in the background, too.

I like it a lot. Do give it your time and attention, this track deserves it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Challenge accepted. I've been looking for "the" Aquatic Ambiance remix for uh, a decade now and just gave up. This was the one tune that was just so good (so chill!) in the original that no one could fully top it for me.

And then this came out. So, yes I can handle it ... even during a gentle rain under a tin roof in a lush forest, on loop. That's the new challenge. Who wants to be the second person to take it on?

• 6 years later...

This is incredible. It's so relaxing and even when the main melody of the source wasn't directly out front, I could still feel the spirit of the tune. Long and chill, but super interesting throughout which is a hell of a feat. I could easily see myself falling asleep to this ReMix. Damn good stuff.