OCR01521 - Final Fantasy X "Via"

djpretzel

Great take on the song. I really LOVE the build up into the acoustic guitar, though I could hear a little buzz thoughout the song coming from it. Like when you don't hold down the fret hard enough. Just kinda... sticks out, but it's still excellent work.

The drums flow well with the instruments. The reverse feeds seem somewhat off-kilter sometimes and I have to agree with Gray on the snare's transient being too sharp, but TO's drums always work so well. Reminds me of Enigma's drums. Real dramatic.

The electric's tone throughout the solo just doesn't seem to fit well to me. Without much accompaniment, it's grunge really sticks out and is not warm enough compared to the rest of the song, but I can understand what's trying to be done.

Pixie's voice is right on.

Hell finally, its been ages since Tepid told me he had submitted this.

Linda música. The beat, the bass, and the piano are all sequenced very well, acoustic guitar is - as usual - very nice, but I hate the tone of the eletric one, I also think the solo around 2:06 could be better.

Pixietricks vocals are excellent, I do wish they played a bigger part on the song, tough.

Very nice collab, guys.

Great mix!

Very nice arrangement.

Recognise TO's style, always unique and enjoyable to listen to.

Pixiegirl, your voice is heavenly, I'm glad you didn't quit submitting to OCremix after that trouble with the last mix.

Tepid, haven't listen to many of your tracks. But always good to listen new things. :)

I actually d/led this song about 3 days ago off of Jill's site, realized it passed the panel, and then deleted it until I could re-download it today.

Just wondering, but what exactly is the point of doing that? Even if it was to get the OCR file for tagging reasons or similar, deleting it right away (to wait for that OCR file) doesn't really make much sense to me...

anyway...

This is a really good mix. There are all types of things going on, but they really fit well together, and just make an awesome final product. Nice Work!!

I'm very happy with the vocals in this mix. After hearing the introduction to the song (which is just class), I was waiting with disappointment for when Jill's vocals would take centre stage and push the rest of the song back. Thankfully it turned out similar to PriZm's Xenosaga mix, which rocked in its own right. Brilliant guitar, beats- this one's a keeper.

The reverse cymbal near the beginning is too trebley for headphones (and speakers?), and it's all in the right ear for some reason. Makes me have to turn the whole song down. Though luckily I can still enjoy it with headphones, unlike Protricity's ZAMN mix.

Besides that, this mix is so much of a mixed bag it's insane. With so much "experimentation" with the chords in the song, teamed up with the very beauty-flowing original as the base for interpretation, half the time it sounds like the best song ever created, and the other half is just interesting or decently good (or bad, depending on your tastes). Recently I've been thinking about how I love parts of songs which seem like they're going into a strange chord progression, but then resolve the final chord in the phrase in a way that sounds completely new and pretty. And this arrangement has quite a bit of that.

One thing very true is: a bit too short. In a way it sounds like a song that I would make since I never build anything up. Always gogogo to the next section.

Wow. Upon first listen I thought the electric guitar in the 2nd half was annoying. But now I really understand it, along with the whole song. I think most people would have very expected thoughts for a remix of this original, like "wait why is electric guitar in this", so it's very hard to listen to at first. I even thought, during the opening of the song, the drums were pretty basic upon first listen, and that they could have been done without. But now, and by now I mean a simple 15 minutes later, it's perfectly natural.

However, while I now understand everything for this particular arrangement, I still wish different ideas could be done with this song. Since it's so short and concise, I think it's missing out on some other very nice interpretations upon the very interpretive source song. Also, as it is now, there's less time to enjoy a very nice idea. I think I need to stop listening to this for today. Everything seems too natural now and less mysterious! Very Ni...wait I've said that like 5 times now.

The thought of adding an guitars and drums to Via Purifico has never struck my mind, I always felt that the piano in the original song was so beautiful that it didn't need to be changed. Boy, was I wrong. :[

The instruments that has been added to this new creation was fine by me, but I kind of jumped in my chair when pixie's voice entered the stage. I was expecting lyrics, but I never expected that pixie would make an opera piece. Fabulous!

More FFX goodness, within the space of...a week or two, I think it was. "Oh boy!" was my reaction. To the title. To the piece...wow. I am staggered that anyone would attempt to remix Via Purifico, since though I lack proper musical knowledge it seems, well, complicated. And even supposing one were to put it on the table, I at least would have no idea what to do with it. But this more than works. Like I said: wow. I think one of the bravest things would be assigning a baseline to it, since that (at least to me--one of my ears always seems tuned to the bass more than anything else) seems the clearest, most immediate statement that "yup, this song's gonna be different, just you wait." Once you have made that statement, then the ear of the listener is then straining for more variation and newness. Which you provide in abundance, titillatingly. Bravo.

Thanks for the feedback, I really owe it to TO for his excellent work on the drums and Pixietricks insanely attractive voice, both did a great job pulling the song through the stages. Just to clarify, I did the arrangement, and recorded the piano, guitar and sequenced everything else.

Regarding the guitar, I don't usually record the electric and I'm not the eldest or most accomplished guitarist here, but let's not get picky, not all mixes ya hear include both acoustic and electric guitar; and if you like it, we're friends :lol: I'm still playing religiously and it's been at least 6 months since I recorded this song, so expect more from me, and sufficient precision to wag your tail at.

Also, if anyone wants tabs I can provide them, you just need to be able to play bar chords.

Also, if anyone wants tabs I can provide them, you just need to be able to play bar chords.

I wouldn't seeing the piano score too, if that is possible.

Great mix by the way, really loved the way every other note sounded wrong, but it all works out great in the end.

Guitar blends in really well actually, and is the driving highlight of the mix overall. Except for its solo section. (Already posted before this, just wanted to say this.) I didn't like it at first for some reason, which just says how different each subsequent listen has actually been if such a dramatic change in my opinion has occured already.

Grade A stuff, even on this site.

Even though it might lack direction as noted by other posters, it is still probably in the top 10 of this entire site. This is one of the select few that I can actually grade professional... I would expect to hear this in an actual commercial or on the back-burner of a dark, mysterious scene in a movie. This is clearly the best 'in the background' track on this site.

Orch, this is clearly another strong submission and the way it was put together screams volumes, even if the track itself doesn't.

Ms. Goldin, although you weren't the front and center in this particular remix, I believe this is your best. Your vocal range is astounding, and for this reason, I believe your voice completely dominates other tracks. While this isn't a bad thing if you are trying to showcase your talents, it sometimes detracts from the song itself. Here you were put into a supporting role to the piano and electric and complemented it perfectly. Hitting the uppers really contributed a massive amount of meaning (read:emotion) to the track that might have been lacking in your absence. For this reason, every single artist was clearly highlighted without any single artist taking away. By putting a measure of restraint in the amount of use of vocals, this song really came into its own.

All too often you see tracks trying to pass itself by flooding the sheer talent as opposed to the original, well thought out processes of music. Congrats to all three of you. This is a the exmplar of a perfect collab.

Sounds like a piece of work, the sequence and transitions keep the track alive definately. I started playing the track when i was going down a cavern in FFXII and i fell in a spot wher the minimap was fuzzin up and met an Esper While this music was playing. It definately made the experience memorable since i was a low level, new to the game, and very focused in the dark room of the night. I got whooped, but all i could think is how perfect the track was. The tiddy bitties of switcheroo's on the guitars grabbed my attention, kinda like how I think Radical Dreamers: Unstolen Gem should be made for Chrono Cross.So Staying on subject your track is like walking down a path your skeptical to walk and a Jill trying to rile you up for a good scare.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01521 - Final Fantasy X "Via"