Which sample libraries did Vagrant Story use?

Jedinhopy

I know Vagrant Story uses sequenced music with instrument banks.

But there exists no tool to convert them both to midi and soundfont and vice versa.

VGMTrans is not my cup of tea.

But:
(SMF2SEQ.EXE ) is in the right direction. But vagrant story can't run (pqes) based .seq music.

And how do i make vagrant story use soundfonts from other videogames?

Vagrant Story uses the best sounding .PSF1 driver out there.

But no one creates all the required tools for it.

And even then i don't know the samples origins.

I know that i would even need to have a playstation reverb with psx frequency response to match the settings of the Vagrant Story ( .PSF ) songs and their panning positions + volume settings for all instruments. Or else that playstation emulation sound is missing. Samples don't sound great on their own. That emulated playstation SPU simply enhances their sound quality .
Take eternal spu for epsxe as an example.

Or we need a vst instrument which can play .psf files like soundfonts.

The sound quality of .sf2 files is heavily dependent on which sampler player algorithm interprets it.

Use the Vagrant Story videogame as a synth.

It's reverb and EQ frequency response is part of the effect section of the playstation sound hardware.

It's sad that the playstation hardware don't have midi inputs.

In essence. The playstation sound processing hardware is a hidden multi-timbral rompler.

The playstation videogames speaks with the playstation sound hardware by using (1010110001010000010010101000110010) language.
That communication connection needs to be hacked. And then throw in 16-midi channel support into there to make it function.

Connect a usb cable to your computer and fire up FL STUDIO.

Treat the playstation hardware like MIDINES if the sound hardware can't be properly emulated in software form.

Not sure what you're on about my friend, but I can tell you this:

All of those old Square guys used sound modules made by Roland back in the day. 

Sakimoto and Iwata both used XV5080s in the FF Tactics/Vagrant Story Era and you can still buy and import these from Japan online for around $500 - $600.

hqdefault.jpg

11 hours ago, AngelCityOutlaw said:

Not sure what you're on about my friend, but I can tell you this:

All of those old Square guys used sound modules made by Roland back in the day. 

Sakimoto and Iwata both used XV5080s in the FF Tactics/Vagrant Story Era and you can still buy and import these from Japan online for around $500 - $600.

hqdefault.jpg

But it will not sound 100% like it's been run through the (Highly Experimental) plugin for winamp that can play (.PSF) files.

On 12/20/2016 at 5:27 AM, Jedinhopy said:

But it will not sound 100% like it's been run through the (Highly Experimental) plugin for winamp that can play (.PSF) files.

Perhaps that level of perfectionism should be recognized as the very lofty goal it is and not pursued any further. You're NEVER going to get something to sound 100% like whatever it is you're trying to sound like. Best you can do is the best you can do with what's currently available.

Additionally, I recommend getting the XV-5050 since it's a higher quality XV-5080 with even some Fantom sounds in it and can be found at half the cost of an XV-5080. The only real drawback is that it also has half the polyphony, but with a quality audio interface and some recording know-how, that problem can be worked out.

4 hours ago, Meteo Xavier said:

Perhaps that level of perfectionism should be recognized as the very lofty goal it is and not pursued any further. You're NEVER going to get something to sound 100% like whatever it is you're trying to sound like. Best you can do is the best you can do with what's currently available.

Indeed.

To be honest, I always find these aspirations to sound 100% like a 20 year old game soundtrack a little weird.

I mean, even these modern Chiptunes that would be made with Super Audio Cart or something are generally of a quality only dreamed of during the time of its samples' sources.