OCR03624 - *YES* Dark Souls 3 & Demon's Souls "The Curse That Binds Us"

djpretzel

As with @OA's Skies of Arcadia mix, this is probably a DP, but I don't know the source that well. If source checks out, feel free to make DP candidate. -djp

---

ReMixer - RoeTaKa
Name - Alex Roe
Email - 
UserID - 9374

Games Arranged - Dark Souls 3
Arrangement Name - The Curse That Binds Us
Songs Arranged - Lorian, Elder Prince, Lothric, Younger Prince (Dark Souls 3 -- this is one song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFRaZs6ri7s ), Demon's Souls (Demon's Souls -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn7dW6xCMXY )

Game info -
    Game - Dark Souls 3
    Composers - Yuka Kitamura, Motoi Sakuraba, Tsukasa Saitoh, Nobuyoshi Suzuki
    Systems - Playstation 4, Xbox One, PC

Arrangement breakdown (by Sir Nuts request! Using time stamps from the links above):
Remix      | Original
0:00 - 1:16 0:53 - 1:23 (and up to 1:48, it's similar)
1:29 - 2:14 0:13 - 0:53
2:52 - 3:11 0:00 - 0:31 (from Demon's Souls)
3:11 - 3:37   0:53 - 1:23
3:37 - 4:02  1:48 - 2:13

Comments:

After my last Dark Souls 3 remix, I got to see what people's favourite songs were from the soundtrack by requests. This track probably got the most requests, and I was daunted by it because I just could never think what to do with it. Usually I pick something I enjoy and the idea naturally forms because I have a personal attachment to it, when you realize that properly then people will engage it because it's not tainted by anything else and with that you hope people will relate and be drawn to it. If I had gone with my gut instinct, I'd probably have made something sad and reflective as this song is for two brothers whose souls are merged and they turn their backs on their duty. In the end I went for something close to the original but just another take on it, which I'm still happy with. I do these remixes because I enjoy them but it also gained me quite a following, over 20,000 subscribers on YouTube as of writing this, so I was happy to keep doing these. But I also feel it's coming to an end now and it's time to focus on more original material, and perhaps get back into some different games to remix.

My take on this was to keep the energy and the epic feeling but do my own twist here and there. The triplets are dropped from the big choir sections, it's fun to hear things in different moods, it's also in a different key. The section before 0:51 has very rapid spiccato but then switches to a focused rhythm that's more driving, more of a heroic vibe about it -- I like that sort of thing. The melody at 1:57, I felt I probably should've used more but instead gave it a bigger moment with choir than in the original. The following section I just made some nice chords with the triplets, I was heavily reminded of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (love that soundtrack!) and did something that reminded me of that. 2:52 is a little cameo from Demon's Souls, made me laugh when I thought about it and how it would segue into the big choir section really well. 

That's about it, hopefully in the future I'll remix different things more often! I've always been an underdog person myself, usually going for things that aren't popular...it's nice when something like the Souls games do find their audience.

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/06/07 - Dark Souls 3 'The Curse That Binds Us'
  • 2 weeks later...

Great soundtrack music - grand and full of energy. It manages to be even more epic than the Dark Souls 3 source, which is impressive considering its own grand orchestral style. Timestamps help out a great deal, and while it's in a different key it's still easy to recognize.

There are one or two nitpicks that I can pull from this (but realize they are just that - nitpicks) that has to do with the humanization of some of the strings. The upright bass in the background swells every attack when it would likely slur a few notes together. It's mitigated by the piano a bit, but it was just noticeable. Also, at 1:30 the lead viola (I think it's viola) has a similar swell in the attack when it makes more sense to create a phrase.

That's literally all I can say about this, though - otherwise this is just downright amazing. Loved it, great work, let's put this out.

YES

Yeah, source is all there, substantially transformed despite being in a similar style, but still recognizable in inspection.  I just have a few minor crits about the choir: The reverb on it is really heavy and results in a lack of clarity.  It also gets buried a little in 0:53-1:00, 1:55-2:14, 3:13-3:22, and 3:46-3:56.  Finally, in the end fade-out, the choir is more exposed and sounds much more noticeably fake.

Otherwise, this is great stuff!

YES

• 1 month later...

Wow, this is epic. Great take on the original, which I can definitely hear (thank you very much for the specific time stamps between the mix and the original, BTW!). The mixing felt great overall with great balance between all the parts. The soundscape sounds full without being overcrowded, and the flow of the mix is also very good. I have no bad things to say here!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2016/06/07) *YES - TAG* Dark Souls 3 'The Curse That Binds Us'
  • Liontamer locked this topic