Crowdfunded Projects (Kickstarter, Patreon, etc.)

DarkeSword

Swiftom, I agree with you completely. Big Blue would be an amazing game if they scaled it down, asked for less, and got it released. I actually don’t think that there are that many new underwater games that would actually catch people’s attention like this one would.

I think that a publisher would be willing to back a scaled down version of their idea. After all, they have had some work with some successful games, and they’ve already gotten started to some degree as well.

I’m looking forward to seeing what they can accomplish in the future :).

I'm invested in the 10 year hoodie Kickstarter. As long as i get my hoodie i will be happy.

there is always the possibility that the company with belly up within the 10 years of mending but I'm okay with that possibility.

19 hours to go.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jakehimself/the-10-year-hoodie-built-for-life-backed-for-a-dec/posts/457837?ref=activity

I'm seriously considering Kickstarter to help my little indie game project, but still, it's something I'd prefer to avoid if possible and fund on my own. Something I'm heavily researching though... taking the jump is a little scary though.

The dream of something taking off is something I think starry eyed indies often gravitate toward and I don't think it's realistic at all. I know it'd be great if it happened, but real life, yo. Every time I see an indie project from no-name devs with only conceptual stuff, the promises they're making often seem too over the top to be fully delivered, and I fear that over promising and under delivering will end up hurting the reputation of Kickstarter. I know I instantly think of either well known pro's with niche audiences or over ambitious indies. It's working for now, but I guess I fear a crash of some sort later on, inhibiting people's willingness to invest on future projects. Then again maybe I'm just paranoid and/or jaded.

Better get while the getting's good though. Haha.

Edited by Strike911

I'm seriously considering Kickstarter to help my little indie game project, but still, it's something I'd prefer to avoid if possible and fund on my own. Something I'm heavily researching though... taking the jump is a little scary though.

The dream of something taking off is something I think starry eyed indies often gravitate toward and I don't think it's realistic at all. I know it'd be great if it happened, but real life, yo. Every time I see an indie project from no-name devs with only conceptual stuff, the promises they're making often seem too over the top to be fully delivered, and I fear that over promising and under delivering will end up hurting the reputation of Kickstarter. I know I instantly think of either well known pro's with niche audiences or over ambitious indies. It's working for now, but I guess I fear a crash of some sort later on, inhibiting people's willingness to invest on future projects. Then again maybe I'm just paranoid and/or jaded.

Better get while the getting's good though. Haha.

The things I see on Kickstarter which impress me the most game wise are when:

1) You have 50-80% of a game already and want money to hire animators/musicians to spruce it up.

2) Are in talks with Nintendo/Sony/XBLA/OUYA to put game on consoles and need funds for dev kits.

As long as they offer a download as finished product it's as good as just selling the finished game, just as a pre-order rather than after the game is done, and it makes consumers feel good about investing as they get a sense of accomplishment.

They 'helped' you make something good :)!!

People who put games up which aren't in a fit state to be shown off yet are just chancers, and to be honest anyone bidding to support them is wasting their own money.

We've seen such a good run of high quality 'strong' kickstarter funded games recently, it's going to be 'VERY' interesting when these start being released.

Good luck with the gamer just had a look at your site, it's fairly awesome :)

Edited by Swifthom

• 2 weeks later...

It's time for some Video Game-Inspired Fantasy Death Metal

This is my kickstarter for my very first album. It's a death metal album with a lot of dramatic moments and unique lyrics.

http://www.rockethub.com/projects/23343-zoltan-game-inspired-fantasy-death-metal-album

Check out all the OCR talent on this album!

Vocals: Brandon Strader

Guitars: The Legendary Zoltan

Bass: Furilas

Guest Solos: Meteo Xavier and Xarnax42

Mixing and Mastering: Zircon

• 2 weeks later...

let's say someone is going around selling bags of air, just plastic bags full of air. and people start buying the bags from the guy.

you can judge the seller for "selling" them

and you can disagree with buying them.

but the whole transaction is okay because nobody is forcing anything on anyone.

I just feel bad for the investors because from the little I know, it seems that they fans are just paying the guys to do a podcast. they stopped for a reason (whether the it was the show or not), now they are going to be doing something that is no longer driven because they "wanted to" but now because other people want to. I think creativity and quality can suffer if the heart isn't into it.

but just like the rest of Kickstarter, I say let the market work itself out. I think it's not any more or less exploitative then a guy selling an idea for a new pen or wallet design.

• 3 weeks later...
they stopped for a reason (whether the it was the show or not), now they are going to be doing something that is no longer driven because they "wanted to" but now because other people want to. I think creativity and quality can suffer if the heart isn't into it.

They stopped because they no longer had the time to make it. Another dude in the office was editing and uploading it just on the side, without pay.

And I'd argue that they do want to, on some level, or they wouldn't have put this out there in the first place.

Armikrog

Doug Tennapel of Earthworm Jim fame and some staff from The Neverhood are making a new game in the same vein as The Neverhood, even Terry Scott Taylor is doing the music! I really hope this gets made.

(And no, I don't really care about that whole kerfuffle with Tennapel on his comic.)

Hex MMO TCG, from the company who's made other TCGs like the World of Warcraft TCG. It's basically Magic: The Gathering online with RPG components, dungeons, equipment and socketed gems to modify cards, and so on. They've got a week left to go and they've got more than 4x their goal, so it's happening.

Hex looks really really fun! I hope they get to 1.5 and get tablet support. They'll really be in the money if they can release it on iOS.

I'm happy to announce that my game-inspired fantasy death metal album kickstarter...

http://www.rockethub.com/projects/23343-zoltan-game-inspired-fantasy-death-metal-album

...HAS SUCCEEDED!

If you aren't in on it, you've got 8 hours left to get TWO CDs AND a video game for just $25!

Hex MMO TCG, from the company who's made other TCGs like the World of Warcraft TCG. It's basically Magic: The Gathering online with RPG components, dungeons, equipment and socketed gems to modify cards, and so on. They've got a week left to go and they've got more than 4x their goal, so it's happening.

yeah. at this point they're working towards getting a 'major fantasy writer' to write a book about the universe, at 1.8m total (including paypal, which is ~100k at this point).

also, i'm in at the 35$ level, so if you're gonna play, you should let me know =)

yeah. at this point they're working towards getting a 'major fantasy writer' to write a book about the universe, at 1.8m total (including paypal, which is ~100k at this point).

also, i'm in at the 35$ level, so if you're gonna play, you should let me know =)

I went in at $50, and I'm definitely up for playing with an upstanding gentleman such as yourself :D

• DarkeSword changed the title to Crowdfunded Projects (Kickstarter, Patreon, etc.)