Crowdfunded Projects (Kickstarter, Patreon, etc.)

DarkeSword

It's like someone offering to buy Zoltan an ice cream cone, and Zoltan's like holy shit I'mm so excited I'm going to get 10 scoops and dip it in chocolate and then dip it in sprinkles and have it coated with gold shavings but then you're like "Hey screw you dude I offered you $5, you went overboard on what you should have done"

And then Zoltan's like "Hey I will sell my other food to help contribute to this colossal, heart-killingly good ice cream cone, buy my other products so I can keep making this bloated cone with the gold shavings and whatnot"

And who really knows what the money is being used for? Tim Schafer probably bought some little cones on the side and enjoyed those with the money he got, instead of just using the money for the one, adequate and normal cone he was SUPPOSED to get.

You can't trust anyone with money, unless they release, in full, their budgeting statements. That's the sad reality.

It's like someone offering to buy Zoltan an ice cream cone, and Zoltan's like holy shit I'mm so excited I'm going to get 10 scoops and dip it in chocolate and then dip it in sprinkles and have it coated with gold shavings but then you're like "Hey screw you dude I offered you $5, you went overboard on what you should have done"

And then Zoltan's like "Hey I will sell my other food to help contribute to this colossal, heart-killingly good ice cream cone, buy my other products so I can keep making this bloated cone with the gold shavings and whatnot

I love that analogy...

But it's wrong. Zolton asked for money to buy a cheap vanilla ice cream but got enough to buy an extra fruity, organically sourced, home-made icecream from the super posh farm. Then he went to town on the sprinkles, because he'd been given more money, and realised that he only had enough for a normal sized scoop because of all the extras, which was a shame because for 6 months between being promised the money and spending it he'd been promising himself and boasting to everyone about how this would be the largest portion ever!

However, if he was patient, Zoltan knew with the change left over from the first scoop, and some more cash he'd aquire through 'perfectly legitimate means' he could enjoy that first scoop now and have a second (just as extravagantly adorned) scoop six months later.

:)

Hope Cake Pops

Alright I know this project is a little different in that it's not a big game or music project .. it's this girl named Hope pursuing her dream of expanding her small Cake Pops business--like a real life Diner Dash? or Cooking Mama?

I kind of see her as like a metaphor for me, except she is actually putting herself out there and doing something with her life and really trying to pursue her dreams. In that sense, isn't she like a metaphor for the "hope" in all of us, to strive for something better?

::crickets::

or just me?

Well, I backed it. Sorry if the pic is huge.

photo-main.jpg?1371795764

Man you are one of only 10 backers XP

As much as I hate to see folks fail it kinda makes sense why she would compared to gaming kickstarters. Most of them can be digitally distributed when finished and so can appeal worldwide. I also feel it lacks something of a vision, she's just gathering funds to improve an already existing (in some form) business whereas most notable kickstarters' I've seen are there to fund something that would never exist through the usual channels.

There is little to no reason for anyone who doesn't visit her area or is an existing customer to invest in her. Though it's a shame the things look quite tasty.

• 2 weeks later...
I think this deserves its own thread joe :razz:
Kickstarter Central If you are a posted or to-be-posted remixer and have a Kickstarter you're working on, you can make a separate thread.

Yes I think why not

I think this deserves its own thread joe :razz:
Yes I think why not
I wonder if they'll run into any issues with Square Enix.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130723/05523623899/final-fantasy-fan-film-kickstarter-project-apparently-with-square-enixs-tacit-approval.shtml

consider me SURPRISED

Just saw this:

The String Arcade Recording

A recording of video game music, spanning 8 bit games to the present, arranged & enhanced for string quartet.

I've met Dren McDonald at a number of Game Audio functions like summits and seminars and such. He's a cool dude who has written music for a bunch of video games. (not that he'd remember me for I as a whole am forgettable, but a cool dude nonetheless)

Edited by DrumJ8

• 3 weeks later...

I'm quite surprised I don't see the Kickstarter for "Video Games Live Level 3" here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1916334303/video-games-live-level-3-game-composers-of-the-wor

They are looking to fund production of their 3rd album (studio album this time). Tommy Tallarico seems to be having quite a few guests this time around, among others Jillian and Andrew Aversa (pixietricks and zircon) and BT. OC ReMix itself seems to have a track on it's own for a bonus CD...

Anyways, pledge away! Make it happen!

• 2 weeks later...
  • DarkeSword changed the title to Crowdfunded Projects (Kickstarter, Patreon, etc.)