Crowdfunded Projects (Kickstarter, Patreon, etc.)

DarkeSword

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9

Keiji Inafune's new game. A modern Mega Man title, WITHOUT Capcom being able to interfere or screw it up or cancel it.

I am most excited by this.

ooohhhhh shiiiiiiiiiit

you have no fucking clue how excited I am (okay, you probably do, I'm just saying that)

Edited by Gollgagh

So awesome! I hope they meet the Wii U/PS3/360 stretch goal. :)

They've made 200k+ in less than a day. Awesome.

I love the look of this! (I really hope the backers choose the Roll-esque design for 'Call'(I know that name is for the 'Beck and 'Call' pun but I get giddy and pretend its a reference to Winona Ryder's Alien Resurrection character).

yeah guys screw capcom right? screw them for not making a game they can't make well because kenji inafune made it and not capcom. so when capcom doesn't make that game that they straight up don't know how to make in the first place we should get really mad at them

i mean seriously guys capcom is the worst. right? right????/??//

i hate mega man fans and am in some small way unhappy this game exists because of the joy it brings them

also, when a major developer essentially outsources their 'idea engine' to their fans a la MML3 they might as well be saying 'we have no idea what the fuck we're doing someone come make this game for us'

yeah guys screw capcom right? screw them for not making a game they can't make well because kenji inafune made it and not capcom. so when capcom doesn't make that game that they straight up don't know how to make in the first place we should get really mad at them

i hate mega man fans and am in some small way unhappy this game exists because of the joy it brings them

also, when a major developer essentially outsources their 'idea engine' to their fans a la MML3 they might as well be saying 'we have no idea what the fuck we're doing someone come make this game for us'

Edited by ocre

I can't just be happy for a game icon_frown.gif

Yeah i'm not sure what tangent your going about here. Keiji Inafune was a key player in the MM franchise, but to say they would be completely clueless on how to make a Megaman game after he left is a bit odd as he wasn't the ONLY guy working on the game. Capcom is just... bad at making games in general these days. Also, I'm sure Capcom was at no fault for Keiji leaving, just like all the other key members of Capcom leaving after Capcom's many terrible decisions and treatment of their developers. Not Capcom's fault at all!

Wow. How sad and bizarre.

Yes, what a terrible idea to reach out to your fans and have them participate in the creative process of your game. Its not a way to keep in touch with your fans and keep everybody happy, it MUST mean you're out of ideas! (BTW I think most Megaman Robot Masters, starting with MM2 and forward, were based on ideas/drawings sent in by fans during contests they had. Mostly just in Japan, except MM6 which had some boss designs from around the world)

Anywho, I am extremely excited to see results of this Kickstarter. I'll be eagerly anticipating the release of Mighty Number 9 and hope that Keiji, Comcept, and Inti Creates make many people happy :)

Inti Creates has already worked on some of the better MM games (MMZero series, MMZX/ZXA, MM9/10) so hopefully they'll keep it up for this one.

They are also freakin' awesome at making music, so I hope they get to do some tracks too.

Edited by Crowbar Man

I can't just be happy for a game icon_frown.gif

well you can because i <3 you

everyone else cannot.

stuff

okay

it's like a capcom fighting game without yoshino ono (capcom fighting evolution) or mario without shigeru miyamoto (super mario bros. 2) or 3d metroid without retro studios (metroid: other m)

say what you will about these games but they are all, very clearly, the black sheep in their respective lines. when your major creative force is gone it doesn't come out the same.

the major issue is mega man fans are like the picky five year old who will eat literally nothing but peanut butter cookies. it doesn't matter if they're stale, or the majority of people aren't interested in eating them, or if by continuing to make these peanut butter cookies the baker can't create any new recipes, and people stop coming to his shop. the mega man fan will cry and throw a tantrum until he gets that cookie just how he wants it. and then grumble about how it wasn't warm and gooey in the middle.

Edited by The Derrit

Yoshino Ono only really did SFIV, Shigeru actually was involved with Super Mario Bros 2 (or more accurately, Dream Factory: Doki Doki Panic, the game SMB2/USA is disguised as), and some key members behind the Metroid franchise were unfortunately involved with Other M.

Though you may have a point at least with Megaman & Keiji, as the games not directly involving Keiji's influence were pretty bad (MMX5 through MMX8 for example, are pretty terrible and Keiji had nothing to do with them). They could of got someone with talent (past and present) to make these games going forward but they apparently had issues finding talent.. or didn't care. Even for MML3, Keiji wanted to create a proper team to finish up but Capcom refused.

Capcom mistreated their devs, made poor decisions, and have lost every key player they had in the past (Keiji Inafune, Atsushi Inaba, Shinji Mikami, etc). Not really sure why someone would root for them in this instance

The only bad news is if Capcom has been treating MM like crap before, if the fanbase moves over to the Mighty Number 9 series I doubt Capcom will bother with MM anymore (except making more terrible mobile games like the broken/bad "MMX" port and MM XOver).

But if MN9 turns out great, that's all that matters I guess. Can't wait to see how things go!

Edited by Crowbar Man

Let's review Capcom's track record for the last decade or so:

- Created one of the most influential action games (Devil May Cry) then ran it into the ground

- Revived one of the most influential horror games (Resident Evil) then ran it into the ground

- Revived a beloved arcade game (Ghosts N Goblins) then promptly forgot it (again)

- Slowly trampled every last bit of life out of one of the biggest franchises in video game history (Mega Man) eventually imitating its own games (poorly in some cases) because they ran out of ideas.

Not to mention Steel Battalion for the Kinect was a mess, Lost Planet was pretty much abandoned the same way Ghosts N Goblins was, and Dead Rising 3 has lost all of its originality and fun to the grey-brown borefest of AAA American games.

Capcom was one of my favorite companies up to the early 2000's, but they've made some really bad calls and I haven't bought a Capcom game for many years now.

Not really sure why someone would root for them in this instance

i'm not rooting for capcom so much as i am perfectly okay with letting mega man die instead of having a sonic-esque fall into mediocrity

with inafune gone a bunch of people raging at capcom saying MAKE MORE MEGA MAN CAPCOM WOINFWEOINFWEIFWNEFIWENOFWEIN is bad for everyone, because mega man fans will get crappy mega man games, and capcom will waste money. it's just that the only party that has figured this out is capcom.

Actually that ship has already sailed. Megaman already faded into mediocritcy a while back, Keiji was attempting to bring him back into the limelight (MM9/10, MML3) but now that idea is probably out the window. Also Capcom already makes crappy Megaman games and will probably continue to make crappy Megaman games. (See MM XOver). A key player leaving hardly stops a company from continuing to milk a franchise :/

Anywho, new thread dedicated to Mighty Number 9 now!

Edited by Crowbar Man

The original Shantae for GBC was unfortunately a very limited run and now a collectors item. Its hard to find a copy of it for less than $100+ If that is a mint game, signed by devs, that is actually a pretty awesome reward for what is basically a "donation" of sorts.

You can get it on eShop on 3DS though for anybody interested. Virtual Console for Shantae, and DSiware for Shantae: Risky's Revenge. Great games!

Also, if nobody caught it: Jake Kaufman (aka "virt") does the music for the Shantae series. Awesome music!

Edited by Crowbar Man

Looking at the game play, it looks beautiful. I'm really digging the art style. I recently completed the original game on my 3DS and grew to like it though traveling area to area was a hassle but transversing the labyrinth was quite enjoyable. Right now I'm playing Risky's Revenge and this game fixed all the problems I had with the original, plus it looks gorgeous.

This song is pretty damn awesome.

I definitely pledged $200 for this. (I'm a sucker for art books.) :3

• 2 weeks later...

m6aFY0Z.png

This (official) image... is amazing haha

Inti Creates of Megaman (Zero 1-4, ZX/A, 9/10) and upcoming Mighthy No 9 fame has been unveiled as the co-developer of Shantae: Half Genie Hero :)

Two of some of my personal favorites combined. Awesome

Also for those who didn't already see, Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse was announced for the 3DS eShop a little while back (also co-developed by Inti Creates)

Shantae: Half Genie Hero is very close to the kickstarter goal (16 days left). Sadly doesn't look like its going to rocket past it like Mighty No 9 but timing the two close together was probably not the best

Edited by Crowbar Man

• DarkeSword changed the title to Crowdfunded Projects (Kickstarter, Patreon, etc.)