OCR00019 - Super Mario Bros. "Frivolous Funk"

It's great! Its funk, therefore, does not have to be exact, or perfect. It's enjoyable

The band may be called "funk," but there is little to no funk in this requestrocity.

If you appreciate Mario Bros., music, or the music of Mario Bros., I don't see how this is enjoyable. This is just a stumbling through the general rhythm of the Mario Bros. theme. I'm surprised they played this five times on tour without taking the 20 minutes to sit down and transcribe it. I could understand this performance if they hadn't heard the music since playing the game in 1986, but every other remixer here spends time on their work. If there is a worse piece on this website, I'd like to hear it.

• 1 year later...
Strange how this wasn't pulled in any of the lockdowns. Sure it's not an easy piece to play and the recording quality is good enough, but it's really annoying how it doesn't really play the actual melody, only almost, and sometimes not really at all.

It's an arrangement Dafydd. An arrangement. You can clearly hear the source and a few passages are verbatim, like the undreground BGM.. Honestly. I do not think it should have been bulled off during lockdown.

Most of all it's skillfully performed and very good.

I know it's an arrangement. So are many of the songs that have been no:ed or removed over the years...

I know you know, I actually mentioned some points that you might have missed though. Like the Underworld BGM and good playing (sure some misses but it's live and the drummer is skilled). I still wonder why you think it should've been removed.. As long as you recognize the source (it IS cleverly arranged, and again for emphasis the Underworld part) it's all good, right? It still holds true to the important parts of the standards, even though the standards are higher now there's no point in removing the older songs because they are sub-par to the newer ones, it's still in line with the site rules.

EDIT: I guess you meant this part is holding it back?

3. The source material must be identifiable and dominant.

* While interpretation and original additions are encouraged, arrangement must not modify the source material beyond recognition.

* The amount of arranged source material must be substantial enough to be recognized.

It's very identifiable. Anyone could tell this is mario. And it's very dominant, in fact it's the whole song. It's not modified beyond recognition because, as I said, anyone can hear the mario theme from this. Same goes for point two.

I guess the judges (and many others obviously) might not agree with me and say that the original melody is not intact in terms of what exact notes are playing but I stand by my statement that it's very much recognizable AND a somehow interesting arrangement of a well-known tune.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Not totally big on this but I don't hate it either. It doesn't feel like the weird notes are a jazzy arrangement choice as much as, well, missed notes. As a super spontaneous thing like it apparently was, I can't really put heavy on it's faults. But, yeah there are better arrangements of this song, even better arrangements with this live and funky flavor. I dunno.

But people need(ed) to chill in these comments hahaha :tomatoface:

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00019 - Super Mario Bros. "Frivolous Funk"
  • 3 years later...