OCR00273 - Chrono Trigger "Schala's Paradise"

m68030

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ehhh... a little too repetetive. Prominent percussion and electronic melody that just repeats over and over and over again... Prince Vejita would take a lesson to listen carefully to the way JD Harding manages to mix his trance up a bit, so that, while still trance, doesn't get boring. Or he could learn from McV, SP, DJP the art of solos. This isn't an entirely bad remix, but I don't particularly like it.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Looks like that even Schala can loose it sometimes. If this represents her paradise, she must be some sort of partymaniac when she´s not on the screen. Weird, but completely understandable.

Anyhow, I did like the remix, cool synths working together to give us a groovy technoexperience. But it DOES get repetive, after the first loop, there isn´t much more than that to it.

But the first loop was good, no questions in that.

• 1 year later...

If you like the first 15 seconds of this a lot, you'll like the remaining 3 minutes, because nothing really changes.

The definition of driving, there are no drum fills to speak of, and the song primarily features the looped drums and the tick tock bell part. The melody is pretty buried, and there isn't much arrangement to speak of.

It's good for awhile, and the sounds set a nice mood, but it's lack of direction and creativity keep this one from going far.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This song makes me feel like I'm fighting an Endurance fight to get to Schala. I found myself pretty amused that both "Paradise" and "Schala's theme" went together so nicely.

I have nothing really negative about this song, it's name is pretty self explanatory to what the track will sound like (take it that you have heard both tracks on their own). I really wished there could have been a meter change, but I'll leave that comment for another track. ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

So, another old track. I'll try to go easy on this one while watching out for a character count that doesn't go over 9000. :tomatoface:

So for an early 2001 track we got this foundation that's layered down decently in sound levels for its time. Like a lot of them, the sounds seem to show their age (not to mention barely sounding exciting give or take the B section melody synth) and the arrangement is really conservative, but it's driven by what can be seen at the time as a fitting and appropriate setup. Structurally, it's not all that bad.

What irks me is that with the different synths being used as lead melody sounds for the A section and the more prominent B section, there's a ridiculous amount of over-used sustain on the melody sound for the A theme, and to hear that note extend itself during the B theme sections actually feels somewhat uncomfortable and rushed to me. In fact it might be borderline unlistenable, though part of it seemed to be saved by the attention paid to the instrument sound levels.

So it's a good 2001 mix but with some easily-avoidable flaws that push this back considerably. Overall I'm not really too crazy over it, but it might satisfy some people craving for more Schala or at least some early remixes of this over-interpreted theme.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear. Schala... as overdone as it is. It's a fantastic source.

This is done in a way I would have never picked. I always thought that it was a sad solemn song.

This in my opinion detracts from the emotion in the source. I'm not a huge fan of this mix.

I can understand that it may also come from the fact that there are millions of Schala mixes.

Though for a 2001 mix... this is quite good production wise. I'm really impressed by it actually.

• 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00273 - Chrono Trigger "Schala's Paradise"