muropakettimies

Pokemon G/S - Vs. Lance/Red Orchestral Remix

Recommended Posts

Hi!

Here's song that I was making just for fun while testing some new virtual instruments I got. It turned out pretty good in my opinion, so I thought I should post it here and maybe submit it to OC.

I've had tons of fun making this song and I hope you enjoy as well, and maybe have something to criticize. I have like zero experience in orchestral music so I wanted to challenge my self.

Original song is from Pokemon Gold/Silver - Lance's Theme

Remix: 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sz0hdkkt281ppyv/Pokemon Red - Lance_2.mp3?dl=0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a fun listen. I would say though that the instruments in general sound rather mechanical. There is definitely some velocity magnitude variation going on, but some instruments feel rather exposed and/or small, like the cello (?) at 1:03, which seems to be a solo version of the instrument rather than an ensemble version (so the texture doesn't feel as thick), and your brass instruments. It could additionally be because there isn't enough reverb for cohesion/uniformity.

Also, the longer notes in the piece as a whole don't have significant expression automation, so the dynamics kind of leap from low to high to low, rather than being gradual at transition points.

I like it, but I think you should try to layer your instruments more so that there is more of a "wall of sound", and work on the CC11 automation to increase the dynamic range of what's going on. Here's an example of something orchestral that did pass the OCR bar:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, timaeus222 said:

It's a fun listen. I would say though that the instruments in general sound rather mechanical. There is definitely some velocity magnitude variation going on, but some instruments feel rather exposed and/or small, like the cello (?) at 1:03, which seems to be a solo version of the instrument rather than an ensemble version (so the texture doesn't feel as thick), and your brass instruments. It could additionally be because there isn't enough reverb for cohesion/uniformity.

Also, the longer notes in the piece as a whole don't have significant expression automation, so the dynamics kind of leap from low to high to low, rather than being gradual at transition points.

I like it, but I think you should try to layer your instruments more so that there is more of a "wall of sound", and work on the CC11 automation to increase the dynamic range of what's going on.

Thanks for the reply!

I started to work a little on dynamics and duplicated violin and cello and made some humanization by hand. Here's updated version that I'll be checking tomorrow again if there's something I did not notice. I hope there is even slight improvement. Even though you did not point out anything about percussion's, I slightly made some changes on velocities and the patterns on some places.

Added horns to intro and end to make it more powerful.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/86l5h37s45m8eso/Pokemon GoldSilver - Lance_2.mp3?dl=0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should compare with your previous version; it seems that simply changing to an ensemble version for your cello has made the sound smaller, likely because there is more natural reverb in the ensemble recording than in the solo instrument. Also, the dynamics in your percussion matched the previous version more closely (look at 1:36 - 1:40, for example, of when the percussion is too loud compared to the surrounding instruments), so consider adjusting those velocities further, especially for the snare and the low end percussion.

It's up to you whether you want to lower the velocities on the percussion or raise the CC11 on the surrounding instruments, although I would recommend the adjustment to primarily the surrounding instruments.

I do think the dynamic range has shifted downwards, leaving it room to be more pronounced; now it could just be more pronounced. I like the new incorporation of the french horn leads at 1:42 - 1:46, though. A nice trick to make your quiet sections sound less like loud playing turned down and more like actual quiet playing is to use CC7 (volume) to turn up the volume temporarily on the quiet sections, adjust the CC11 accordingly, and then bring CC7 down again (on those same sections), as CC11 is the percent of the volume set by CC7, and isn't measured in absolute, but relative numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.