OCR03495 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Chemical Burn"

Gario

Hello OCRemix,

I have been a fan of the video game music you choose to upload for quite some time now and would love to have the opportunity for one of my tracks to make it up there as well!

My ReMixer name: OverShield 
My real name: Dean Kontos
Email: 
User ID: 33724     (just made a new account)

Name of game arranged: Sonic 2
Name of arrangement: Chemical Burn
Name of song arranged: Chemical Plant Zone

My main inspiration to remix this track is because it's the first game I grew up playing as a kid. I love the original arrangement so much I thought it would be fun to put my own EDM twist to it. It starts off with a mysterious intro and ends with a punch. I also used familiar sounds from the game to try and audibly simulate sonic interacting with the level.
I know this song has been remixed before, but I hope you hear it as something different and enjoy it!

Best,

Dean

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/06/08 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Chemical Burn'

Slick, some dubish Chemical plant comes our way. Great production values, really fun arrangement, and the source is taken in a direction it hasn't been taken before (an impressive feat, considering it's Chemical Plant Zone).

There are a few nitpicks on my end, though: the beginning pad has an elements that seems piercing in the mid-high EQ. 0:29 also seems excessively wet and muddy; I know that was purposeful, but it got to the point that it just sounded like noise. It wasn't clicking there. The mix is generally clean and easy to pull everything from, but there were one or two moments where I felt the lead punched through a little too much, making the mix feel unbalanced (such as 1:32).

These are really nitpicks, though - overall I got a real kick out of the high energy levels present in this track, and it was very well produced. It should be an amazing addition to the Chemical Plant tracks that are on this site.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/06/08 - (2Y) Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Chemical Burn'

I only have two minor critiques beyond what Gario (correctly) mentioned: First, I found the sidechaining in a couple of places, most notably at 0:42, to be just a little heavy, but it was over before it began to really bother me.  Second, there are a lot of places, like at 1:15 and 2:10, that have what sounds like a filter on an LFO, that I also thought were just a little too dramatic and distracting.

Otherwise, yeah, an original take on an overused source.  Lots of fun flourishes, tasteful use of SFX (I especially liked the drop into the warp effect at the very end and the underwater segment), just an enjoyable arrangement all around.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Inventive arrangement here with plenty of sfx used to spice things up.  I have two issues with this one, the sidechain gets a bit too aggressive at some points, and the main melody disappears behind some of the noise/airy sfx.  Regarding the arrangement I'm very happy the remixer took a lot of care in the mangling and splicing of the chemical zone theme and wasn't just happy with playing the source verbatim over the new edm base, which is something you hear often in the remixing community.

Regarding the production, besides the issues mentioned above, it all seemed pretty clean and well-crafted.  You gave everything its own space, drums were coming up crystal clear and punchy.  Overall great rendition of this classic theme in a style that I can't really place in any other edm genre, but that likes to bounce between dubstep, future bass, complextro, and others.  Good stuff.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03495 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Chemical Burn"
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic