Some writing help

Synth

So, I'm a guitar player and, I'm working on my first song ever. Pretty much, I was messing around and came up with this, and I want to put a guitar solo over it.

But this is where i'm running into my problems. I can't come up with anything, and I have no idea of how to approach this.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

It's a good start. A cool way to start off with a song is composing on a piano (analog or electronic). Writing melodies on that is easier than the guitar, as you have easier access to all the notes, but you can always add upon it when you take it to the guitar itself. Striking up inspiration is as simple as listening to other songs, usually paying attention to nothing but the guitar. Above all else, when it's like a chore and it's too hard to write anything, take a break and try later. Writing music should flow easily without any problems, so it's a natural kind of thing. It should never be taken like a chore or if you're frustrated with it.

Well, I could tell you what I would do, but then it would be my solo. :P

Use Yoozer's URL (say that 5 times fast) to find out what key you're in, and mess around with scales until you come up with something you like. If this is your first song it's probably not going to be easy. Me, I know exactly what I'd do over it, but that kind of intuition comes only with genius or experience, and I'm no genius.

-steve