OCR03546 - *YES* Final Fantasy 8 "Attack on Dollet"

Gario

Hey there OverClockedReMix judges,

Here's a modern & trailer-ish remix I made of "The Landing" from Final Fantasy VIII. 
It's my first submission ever, and it was evaluated by Gario in the forums. :)

Contact Information:

My ReMixer Name:
Alex Moukala

My real name:
Alex Moukala

My email address:

My userid:

Submission Information:

Name of the Game Arranged:
Final Fantasy VIII

Name of the arrangement:
"The Landing -REDUX-".
If this one isn't ok, then my second choice is "Attack on Dollet".

Link to the ReMix:
http://smarturl.it/TheLandingOCR

Link to the original track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v6BtJaBQmo

Personal comments about the track & what inspired it:
I can still remeber the day when I discovered OverClockedReMix. 
I downloaded a certain "Final Fantasy VII - Voices from the Lifestream" album, which I thought was an extension of the FF VII Soundtrack that I spent my entire childhood listening to. 
To my surprise instead, after pressing the play button, I realized it was an amazing compilation of remixes, which would soon mark my journey into the realm of music composition.

I remember that sense of overwhelming inspiration I felt for days after witnessing the work of all those super young composers, thinking to myself, "if they can do it, well, maybe I stand a chance too!".

The fact is, I've always been passionate about music, but not having any musical education or former experience with instruments, I simply felt l wasn't entitled or experienced enough to attempt to write it, that is, until that fateful day I discovered OverClockedRemix.
That day I finally found some motivation to try and tackle this artistic scratch, and set to spend some time learning to produce/compose music and become good enough to have one of my tracks featured on OCR.

It's been three years now, ever since I seriously committed to make music every single day. 
After many many hours spent composing, countless tutorials and articles digested, and after working for stock music libraries to hone my craft, I found myself composing music professionally for Hollywood Trailer Music labels such as Really Slow Motion Music & Sound Design and others.

After all that experience, I'm still very far away from my highest artistic goals, but I feel like I can finally tackle one of my first ones: so here I am, submitting a track for the first time to the OverClockedRemix judge panel!

I hope you guys will enjoy the track, but regardless of that, I want to take this chance to personally thank the whole crew & composers for having created such a huge embodiment of inspiration which OverClockedReMix has been to me. :)

Much love, and sorry for the long description!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my, this instrumentation.  Epic only begins to describe it.  Such a rich soundscape.  Gorgeous.

Arrangement-wise, certainly it's laid out in nearly the exact same way as the source, but there are lots of small change-ups, plus of course the instrumentation is just above and beyond.  "The Landing -Redux-" is perhaps the more accurate title, because in a sense it's "just" a massive sound upgrade of the original, but that upgrade is so substantial that I think this is well above the bar.

Those big percussive hits really cut through the mix, and there are so many of them, it does get a bit grating after a while. In 2:15-3:05 especially, it causes some overcompression.  There's also perhaps too much of a dynamic contrast between the loudest and softest sections, such that I can't hear them both comfortably without adjusting the volume.

Those are my only criticisms, though, and they're fairly minor considering the strengths of this arrangement.  Overall, this sounds fantastic, and I'd love to see it posted (with the backup title, of course).

YES

I loved it when I heard it in the WIP boards, and I love it here. I hear none of the (slight!) issues I had with it in eval, so it's a pretty darn easy pass, in my book. It's conservative, but man does that Hollywood orchestral flair really shine in this.

The title will likely need... well, a title, but I think he'll be able to come up with something.

Great work!

YES

• 5 weeks later...

I was just commenting on Russell Cox's Castlevania III "Prelude to Darkness" as a good example of a structurally conservative OC ReMix that expanded upon its source tune, and this was another solid example here. Agreed with the others that this effectively takes "The Landing" and gives it a nice epic cinematic sound upgrade with good additive touches. I heard the overcompression MW mentioned as well, and while it wasn't enough to pull this down to NO, it would be nice to get another pass at that, just to clean this up and get things sounding their best. Nice work, Alex, and welcome aboard!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/06/26 - (3Y) Final Fantasy 8 'Attack on Dollet'
  • 3 weeks later...

I agree that 2:15 does sound overcompressed.  I think the buzzy sfx playing at that point adds to the perception of overcompression, but I also hear some pumping there too so the limiter is definitely working too hard at that point.  -7.6RMS is pretty loud for an orchestral track.  Not enough for a NO, but next time ease up just a bit or automate volume so you don't get such a compression spike in the track.  I love the alternating crispy and clean on those big hits.  Track is really well orchestrated and very exciting. This is a big winner for me, I love it.

YES 

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/06/26 - *YES - TAG* Final Fantasy 8 'Attack on Dollet'
  • Sir_NutS locked and unlocked this topic
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • Sir_NutS unpinned this topic