Reunion (Free Netlabel) News Thread

GaMeBoX

A friend of mine has started a site where he has gathered a bunch of musicians to release original electronic music. It was originally intended only for Trackers, but it became a general electronic "netlabel", where everything is released for free. They release music in a quite steady pace for being a startup, and they are probably interested in hearing new interesting music from a few people from this community. Unfortunately, they are quite unknown so far. So without further ado, here is their link: http://www.reunionstudio.org

BREAKING NEWS!!

Now they have a torrent up and running! Check it out now for the first 30 songs in one handy package :)

http://www.reunionstudio.org/Reunion_0-30_Torrent.rar.torrent

My fave around these songs is "Gasoline" (so far), by "the platonist" (who is incredible with impulsetracker). It sounds like a typical good game-song and i can imagine a 2D landscape of cool platforming when i hear it.

What do you people think ? Also, if you people have any good links to similar sites, bring em on! Im always interested in finding new good music out there.

Btw, for those who didnt know, im normally known as GaMeBoX around here, but my account dont work at the mo.

I'll be checking this out

It'd be nice if the site offered the songs in their original formats [like .it] so I can save a bit of space :) down with MP3!

Are you going to have full EP/album releases in the future?

I checked out Storm by Freeman and your recommended track, Gasoline, and this is actually some decent dance music. Thanks for plugging this.

Electronic netlabel? Cool. Releasing the music for free? Eh... not as appealing to me. You guys should do compilation albums at least.

Hey man :) Tell me more about your view on this.. I can understand that single tracks may not appeal as much as albums or other compilations. What about the free part ? why not, and what alternatives are there really ? What are your thoughts.. ?

Overcoat >>

Glad you liked it, thanx for the link, ill be checkin it out, piece by piece.

Nothing wrong with being capitalist. ;)

I just think that if we, as musicians, invest lots of our own time into original material - plus money for gear - there's no reason we shouldn't ask for people to pay for it. You could always do something like... have a rotating list of free MP3 singles @ 128kbps on the main page, then periodically release a compilation CD of 15 songs or so and price it reasonably at say $9.99. You could then get the CDbaby hook up so you wouldn't have to worry about shipping, OR if you don't really want to go the physical route, send them one copy and sign up for their free digital distribution. That way you can get the label's music all over iTunes and tons of other online music shops. Free promo, and you get 81 cents to the dollar. Alternatively, set up a Paypal shop (also free) where people could pick up higher-encoded MP3s or even WAV/FLAC versions of the tracks with a small donation. There are lots of ways.

As a CONSUMER sure I like free stuff. And really, if you just want to give away your hard work, I can understand that too. But it's not appealing to some people to invest a lot of time into something that they won't get anything for. This is sort of the case with me. I make ReMixes which are by nature free, and I have fun doing 'em. I don't expect a penny. For original stuff, on the other hand, I spend more time & money and I would prefer not to just give that away; or at a minimum, not ALL of it (I have given away free downloads before).

Good post man, i totally agree with what you say. I will link up "the platonist" who started reunionstudio to this thread. I had a similar idea about a year ago with my domain bitmapstereo.com where we would release some free songs and sell albums/compilations, unfortunately i stopped when i couldnt afford to get a copy of photoshop..But i have the shop system up and running with an e-commerce service that is usually for software, but works for any kind of files, where i can take creditcard or paypal, + they can send a physical CD as well i think, with cover art.. One question; Have you seen anybody do this and actually have it working, ie, people buy music? Any links ?

Well look at this .. hmm yeah dolber there is a site called Subco @ www.subco.org . they also release music for free, but with EPs instead of single tracks as we do . And also Zircon :P I'd like to make some money out of my musicmaking too, but since you have to start somewhere, Reunion is a good idea. What i do now is simply a project, something to kill my free time with. I hope i'll get more "serious" in the future, not that i really care but still :)

Addition: i don't give everything away either, you know this is 2 tracks of my approx 900 pieces i've written over the years ..

well anyway, before judging , take a listen, won't ya? :)

/Platonist

edit: the url is http://reuniverse.org these days. fun, right?

Good post man, i totally agree with what you say. I will link up "the platonist" who started reunionstudio to this thread. I had a similar idea about a year ago with my domain bitmapstereo.com where we would release some free songs and sell albums/compilations, unfortunately i stopped when i couldnt afford to get a copy of photoshop..But i have the shop system up and running with an e-commerce service that is usually for software, but works for any kind of files, where i can take creditcard or paypal, + they can send a physical CD as well i think, with cover art.. One question; Have you seen anybody do this and actually have it working, ie, people buy music? Any links ?

Yes, I have two albums out that I sell online in both physical and digital formats. It's been selling well.

Are those things printed up yet?

Yep. They should be available within 14 days.

It'd be nice if the site offered the songs in their original formats [like .it] so I can save a bit of space :) down with MP3!

hey cool you liked it!

well to be honest .. most of my .it files are bigger than the mp3 itself :)

:roll:

if you're interested in joining Reunion. please contact me . my email adress is on our website (www.reuniverse.org) . im always keen on hearing new stuff . so go right ahead!

/Platonist

hey cool you liked it!

well to be honest .. most of my .it files are bigger than the mp3 itself :)

:roll:

I can see why, since samples in module files aren't compressed. Sometimes I have the same problem when if I use several samples.

• 2 weeks later...
Get a more visually appealing site going... And I may submit a track or two.

Hell you can have my entire first album if you want it, but that stuff is all extremely old.

hehehe well the real design is under construction by

this guy : http://whitedeer.deviantart.com :)

another thing : FFmusic DJ has joined us releasing his first track today. it's quite old and it's been available on his personal page for some time already,

BUT still it's some good stuff :)

• 3 weeks later...
Electronic netlabel? Cool. Releasing the music for free? Eh... not as appealing to me. You guys should do compilation albums at least.

we'll prolly do a compilation in the future .. but you know, we just started the project.. nothing happens in 5 months .. :P

:D

PS. there are now 12 releases since sept, i think thats quite good! we plan to have 3 more releases until newyear. so don't forget to check us out occationally.

also: we'll get an RSSfunction in later versions of the website.. DS . //thanx for listening//Platonist

New Release at the site

i don't usually repost when there's a new release online

but this time you have to get it

It's from a Threepiece project called Easily Embarrassed . and i'm sure you'll LOVE this one (if you're into it that is) . the style reminds alot of Shpongle and other psybient/ambient bigshots! .

this is pure perfection!

www.reunionstudio.org!

/Platonist

• 2 weeks later...