Gario

ReMixerName: mikedm92

Email: 
UserID: 33294

Name of games arranged: Wolfenstein 3D, Spear of Destiny
Name of arrangement: Get Psyched
Name of songs used: Evil Incarnate, My Loved Ones Are Gone
Links to songs: Evil Incarnate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkaAfYkxPeQ
                       My Loved Ones are Gone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usidnQcehnQ

Comments: A very challenging song to make! Finding space for all of the layers was tough. I wanted to try take the climax of the guitar solo and raise it on an emotional level. The original song is quite somber and I wanted to reflect that but using the loudness and power of heavy metal.

Delicious metal remix of some classic music... oh boy, do I like it. The power metal is just pure chuggy goodness, and the switch to the ballad, while a little sudden, works beautifully to break the piece up. I could hear this as an instrumental on a Megadeth album, and it would work amazingly well. Considering Megadeth DID do a VG metal arrangement or two in his time (Duke Nukem!), that's not entirely out of the range of possibilities.

The game SFX at the end was sudden and didn't fit at all, but it doesn't kill the arrangement. I would be remiss to leave out the fact that it plays out a little like a medley, but I've heard metal tracks that transition from power metal to a ballad before, so it didn't bug me too much. Overall some high quality power metal to tickle everyone's ears with... everyone WILL listen to it, right?

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/07/07 - (1Y) Wolfenstein 3D & Spear of Destiny 'Get Psyched'

I'm with Gario on this one.  I thought the intro voice clip worked really well (turns out dying Nazis sound a lot like death metal, who knew?), but the one at the end, indeed, not so much.  I think you could have done something better with that scream without including the music.

It does seem a little medley-ish on the surface, but as Gario said, it's not an uncommon form, the transitions are elegant, and as a whole it flows quite nicely.  The musicianship is solid, the interpretation is on point.  Great job taking some primitive MIDI music and infusing it with life.

YES

• 1 month later...

Pretty good metal rendition of these songs.  Production is mostly clean and sharp, though I found the snare on the first section a tad loud, it felt better on the solo section after the breakdown, I assume because the many layers are occupying its most resonant frequencies.  Not a dealbreaker here as the production is good.

I thought the arrangement was alright, the first section felt like it dragged out on just rhythm guitars for too long, but that may be due to the nature of the source tracks.  The track does expands melodically as it progresses, without taking out the driving energy that it brought from the start.

YES

• 1 month later...

I was a little worried when the others mentioned the medley sort of feel, but listening myself I agree with the others that the progression is natural between them. I enjoyed the percussion work as well, nice variation of fills and they kept things interesting.

I agree that the end vocal clip doesn't really add anything to the track and wasn't really doing it for me. I would prefer to have it removed if we could ask the artist, but in the end it wouldn't be a dealbreaker to posting for me.

Nice work with these two sources to put together a cohesive track!

YES

Just checking this before we posted it, and loved it.

Spear of Destiny - :01-1:43
Wolfenstein 3D - 1:43-3:40

I thought the transition from SoD to Wolf3D was sudden, but you can hear how it was purposeful; not ideal, IMO, but it definitely works just fine. Bobby Prince really did a lot with some flimsy sounds, creating some timeless & catchy hooks that Michael was able to flesh out. Nice job expanding both themes and giving a big boost of energy to both! Welcome aboard, Michael, and keep sending in this great stuff! :-)

YES