OCR03580 - *YES* Super Smash Bros. Melee "Choose Your Character! (VERSUS)"

Gario

Contact Info:
Submission Info:
  • Game arranged: Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Arrangement name: Choose Your Character!
  • Song(s) arranged: Menu 1
  • Comments: 
A laid back jaunt through Super Smash Bros. Melee!

This remix was originally created for the Materia Collective fighting game tribute album, VERSUS. Shout out to the fellas behind the Collective for organizing this fantastic project; enjoy the remix

Just noting we already have a mix with this name from the same game by Sbeast.
http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR03269

EDIT (3/14): Whoops. Forgot to actually vote on it.

The arrangement was 3:22-long, so I needed at least need 101 seconds of overt source usage for the VGM to be dominant in the arrangement. MindWander and I basically agreed, and I counted some tails I could still hear for a little longer:

21.5-23.75, 26.5-33, 39.5-41, 47-52.75, 55.5-1:12.75, 1:22.25-1:40.25, 1:43.75-2:25, 2:28.5-2:30.5, 2:34.75-2:40.5, 2:47-2:54 = 107.25 seconds or 53.09%

Pretty smoove arrangement. The sax and other brass samples weren't the most realistic, and some of the textures were murky. Not sure why the main beat sounded so "crispy" as it were, but it wasn't a big deal. That said, the presentation was solid.

I was almost very disappointed with the ending seemingly being at 2:59, because it felt flat, but the transition into the light strings instead was more creative, so props on faking me out. :-)

YES

Lovely instrumentation, not at all what I was expecting (especially since the title had prompted me to think of Sbeast's remix).

This is a very liberal interpretation.  Much of the first half uses the source's chord structure, but uses the actual notes for just a few notes at a time.  I'm going to timestamp the sections I can clearly peg as coming from the source:

• 0:21-0:23
  • 0:27-0:31
  • 0:40-0:41
  • 0:47-0:53
  • 0:56-1:12
  • 1:23-2:24
  • 2:47-2:50

Total: 99/202 seconds = 49%.  I'm going to call that close enough, given that the chord structure strongly evokes the source even without the melody.  And I'm probably missing some of the accompaniment from the source being used.

Otherwise, this is really nice.  Other than the strings at the end (which have some odd static to them), the instruments are executed well enough to fool a casual listener, and the production is clean.  The arrangement is peaceful without getting boring, with frequent changes in instrumentation and energy.  Fantastic work!

YES

Huh, this was borderline liberal? There was a lot that clamped this down as relating to the source for me, especially the harmonies that follow the source precisely. The small snippets of actual theme does bring it all together in a pretty tight manner. I also notice a whole lot of segments that pull from the source that are not included in your numbers up there (2:28-2:30, 2:36-2:37 have a direct yet truncated relation to the source, for example, in the piano and sax portions).

Otherwise, I thought this was a pretty tasteful arrangement. Really nice acoustic guitar (though it is a little tinn-y), great little background piano and pads, and that sax is oh-so tasty. The lighter choices for the percussion really brings it all together in a manner that just works. I for one would've been happy as hell to hear this in a real smash game's choose your character screen. Awesome work!

As Larry pointed out, though, this DOES need a new name, due to naming conflicts from a prior submission on OCR.

YES

• 1 month later...

I think the source connection felt tenuous for only the first minute of the song, after that it was pretty easy for me to make the connection to what was being performed vs the source.  In any case, this is a pretty lovely arrangement which is well performed, and with plenty of interpretation to go around.  The adaptation works very well too, and I can easily picture this as an alternate option for the real choose your character theme.  The ambiance feels pretty rich, without being too busy or lacking clarity.

This is a clear winner for me.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03580 - *YES* Super Smash Bros. Melee "Choose Your Character! (VERSUS)"
  • Liontamer locked this topic