OCR03733 - *YES* Street Fighter 2 "Burning Vigor"

Gario

Holy CHRIST, that is some meaty guitar and drum work (sick gallops on them drums, to boot). So simple, so short, so goddamn elegant. This is a perfect little thrash arrangement; there's no reason to panel perfection. ;)

- Gario

Contact Information 

That Headband Guy
Mike Stevenson

Submission Information

Street Fighter II
"Burning Vigor"
Ken's Theme - USA

A typical "THG" metal arrangement - starts with the theme, builds to an original rhythm/solo (while keeping in the confines of the source material) and resolves back to theme. Production wise, no notable faults that are picked up by my ear. Your experience may vary, which is fine! For the solo section, I was going for a very 80's Yngwie Malmsteen keyboard versus guitar - typically operating around D Harmonic Minor which gives it a classical-esque flair.

Kind regards,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree this is pretty solid, starts off very conservative and by-the-books, but after it goes through the first round of the source we're treated to keyboard and guitar solos running seamlessly over the original progression.  I think more could've been done to expand on the source though, as the original parts don't last very long, and when the song returns to the source nothing is changed or evolved (It's a pretty short remix too).  The arrangement didn't blow my mind because of this, but it's a solid delivery overall.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/08/14 - (2Y) Street Fighter 2 'Burning Vigor'

Rather than a direct post, I'm moving this to the panel to give my feedback and criticisms. The mixing lacks highs, so there's a lossy, distant sound to this. I would have liked something more to the melodic treatment, but what's here is OK due to an effective genre adaptation with some new part-writing thrown into the mix. The original breakdown from 1:06-1:27 was OK, but the texture felt thin despite everything going on. 1:45-2:15 sounded like a cut-and-paste of :00's lead guitar with different drumming underneath. This gets by, but should have been developed further. Would love to see you explore the possibilities of longer arrangements some more with future subs, Mike, and also brighten up the soundscape a little just so all of the strong performances sound cleaner and more upfront.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/08/14 - (3Y) Street Fighter 2 'Burning Vigor'

Sounds legit - it's fair to put this on the panel. I'll give some further thoughts on it, though needless to say it's going to be a YES from me considering I tried to DP it (Spoilers!).

I can hear what Larry pointed out on the lossy sound of it - not something I caught on first pass, but it's certainly there. It doesn't bother me too much, though - the rest of the spectrum is at a healthy level (the bass maybe a bit too much so, if I'm going to nitpick), and the highs, while a bit lower than everything else, aren't non-existent. It still sounds great, but I agree it could've sounded better.

I'm not hearing any issues as far with how the arrangement comes together, though, save for it being on the conservative side of the fence (which isn't a bad thing, per se). The solo at 1:09 sounds like a classic thrash solo, with all of the instruments dropping out other than the bass (with them guitar stabs); that's a stylistic choice that perfectly fits the genre here. I'm going to also point out that at 1:57 the lead guitar is the ONLY thing that's the same - everything else is playing utilizing different patterns, such as the reverse gallop, which gives it a different feel to the beginning. It's a really cool contrast to the original part at 0:12, and it wouldn't have the same impact if the lead was also altered. The section at 0:00 and 1:45 is nearly the same across the board (with bleeding over from the prior portion), but I'm honestly not against the 12 seconds of repetition in a track - it's not excessive.

I definitely agree with brightening up the soundscape, but I personally thought the arrangement was perfect for what it was. Great performances on it, to boot, so how could I give it anything less than a resounding yes?

YES

Pretty straightforward take on Ken's theme, though still very cool.  Keeps it very conservative at the beginning, but the arrangement fleshes out more in the second section with the synth/guitar solos and some variation on the progression of the song.  Would've liked to hear still more development on the arrangement side since the track is pretty short (2:33) and spends a good chunk of the time covering the original melody (though with different backing).

Definitely hearing Larry's lofi comment.  Perhaps with some mixing adjustment to the high end, this would have a crisper sound to it in general.

Performance is excellent.  Drum writing is energetic and varied. Ending was sadly a bit underwhelming, but this is fun take on a classic track.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/08/14 - *YES* Street Fighter 2 "Burning Vigor"
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic