OCR03512 - *YES* Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin "Hail to the Present" *RESUB* *PROJECT*

Gario

Note: I did NOT post the version sent in the e-mail, but rather the version that he tweaked for the sake of the album he eventually released for the sake of consistency, as well as the fact that he sent this BEFORE making adjustments for the album posting.

- Gario

Old Decision

1) Remixer Name- Yoshiblade

2) D L

Forum ID) 52832

1) Game Being Arranged- Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

2) Name Of Arrangement- Hail to the Present

3) Name Of Arranged Song- Hail From the Past  

4) Original Composer- Michiru Yamane 

5) Oxford University, Suite 1987

Oxford, England
Dec 5th, 1936

"Esteemed colleges, I present to you the most peculiar occurrence I can recall in all my years. Approximately 10:31 P.M. I attempted to reach Cairo Relay Station. I felt it best to contact, Dr. Carter and report on our current situation, when as quickly as I have ever seen, an errant sandstorm blew in from the East. Our radio produced nothing but static on frequencies I know to be valid, until I heard the most haunting sounds that, I should think, have ever existed. My immediate reaction was to engage my personal wire recorder and capture these bizarre sounds. The wave like squelching seems to be a warped radio signal, yet I clearly hear a violin and drums that beat with a rhythm I found to be irresistible and drives with a spirit I have not yet encountered in my travels. There seem to be an interaction between a one Jonathan and Claire and a yet unknown female ( who’s voice is like that of a siren to my ears) The strange effects, which I can only deduce are of an electronic origin (which are of no discernible origin, at least no current origin) clip and stutter, twisting the waveform of these fantastical sounds, as if one were fumbling with a tuning knob, which is very apropos, due to the nature of my interaction with this eerie encounter, the likes of which may very well change not only how we Egyptologist understand this mysterious place, but our very understand of the past, present and future”

Prof. Harker PhD. Esq. MD. Rev. LMNOP

Beefed up the snare, fixed some levels and smoothed out some transitions.

Ive got some spoopy Halloween themed remixes coming down the pipeline soon, I realize they probably wont get a listen until after Oct 31, but just a thought if you wanted them for the Halloween Season. Thank You for the Listen!

Original https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg1PDaOnU2Q

This is cheating a bit, but I'm going to use my evaluation from the album eval, as nothing has changed from that.

Arrangement: The source is clearly there. It's perhaps a bit conservative, but that's not too big a deal on an album. The arrangement flows well enough.

Production: Production is pretty clean. Sometimes the background instruments get muddy, and the strings sound like they could use some humanization (more realistic articulations, specifically) when they're the center of attention (like at 1:48), but otherwise it's alright

A bit conservative, and a touch more realism on some of the instruments would've been nice, but I don't think it's enough to give this anything but a YES.

YES

I definitely still see what the old crits were talking about, though they're all improved.  The snare is still thin and splashy, but I didn't think it was buried or out-of-place with the kick.  The voice clips still sound a bit odd because of their poor sound quality, but it's not a dealbreaker.  I personally strongly dislike self-congratulatory ones like the one you end with, but that's purely my pet peeve.  The overall arrangement is a bit conservative but well over the bar.  A few of the synths are a bit strange, especially the one that starts at 1:13, but again it's a small issue.  And while the strings are definitely fakey, in a synth-heavy, glitchy arrangement, it doesn't bother me much.

It's fun, it's different, and it'll be a fine mixpost.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/08/25 - (2Y) *RESUB* Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin 'Hail to the Present'

The main issue I had with the previous version was the overall texture sounding puny; thankfully, this has been adequately filled out. Even with some relatively simple writing for the beat patterns, they now fill up the background better. I still had the same criticisms on the lossy sound, and the voice clips feeling disconnected from the track, but the arrangement's strong enough to carry this. Would have liked for this to sound sharper, but re-balancing some of the more problematic instrument combinations and beefing up the soundscape were enough to nudge this over the line.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/08/25 - (3Y) Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin 'Hail to the Present' *RESUB* *PROJECT*

The soundscape is nice and full.  The leads sound buried to me, they lack presence, they could be so huge and make such a great statement.  The lead sounds are good but the volume and mixing aren't quite there with the leads.  The arrangement feels quite repetitive overall, especially with the same arp pattern repeating all the way through.   Drums could be mixed bigger.  I have no problem with vocal clips generally, but I agree with MindWanderer that the quality of these clips isn't so good, and the final clip feels too self congratulatory.  Still, nice track.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03512 - *YES* Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin "Hail to the Present" *RESUB* *PROJECT*
  • Liontamer locked this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic