Tetris Attack - Bowser Stage and Panic Mode (EQ update)

tweex

Hey guys,

I had a thread for this a while ago but I'm starting up a new one for the final version of this song.

The song is practically complete. What I need from you guys is some final notes on the production value. What needs to be turned up/down, how's the EQ, any polishing that needs to be done, etc.

Thanks for the help.

No EQ Version:

www.tweekmusic.com/bowser.mp3

EQ Version:

www.tweekmusic.com/bowser_2.mp3

Gave it a quick listen this is def solid.

That shakugachi flute sample haha, I've always wanted to use that exact sample myself just haven't found a song to use in yet.

Arrangement and composition are excellent.

EQ:

As the song progresses the lack of anything substantial in the high frequency ranges leaves me with a feeling of lack of variation in the soundscape. There is just so much coming at you from the lower frequencies in the first half of the song the "sound" itself starts to feel monatonous(my spelling sucks) The arrangement isn't monatonous.

The piano at times feels a little dry, or just that their could be something more to it. Maybe just a few EQ adjustments. Like around 1:13 and 1:32 and on for example. Just try to produce a higher quality sound. It's nothing really bad, just something that bugged me a lil bit, nuttin major at all.

The EQ and piano things are uber picky, I'm assuming ur wanting some real tough critiqueing though.

Def sweet drums and ethnic feel.

The more I listen to it, the more I see exactly what you're talking about. The EQ in this mix is very "Low Heavy." I definitely feel the lack of high frequencies in there, especially when I compare it to Klaus Badelt's work in Pirates of the Caribbean (one of the main inspirations). I will def need to EQ it up a bit and potentially add some higher ranged instrements/effects.

The EQ and piano things are uber picky, I'm assuming ur wanting some real tough critiqueing though.

It's not uber picky at all. It's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for :)!!

Any other feedback would be wonderful. Thanks everyone :)!!

Wow the newly EQ'ed version does sound better. I can def hear all the little things goin on a lot more. It's just more enjoyable to listen to now.

The only thing I'd add, and this is personal preference is a strong melody coming in over top of everything for a section. I'd put it in the last section where the breakout is. I know of some wicked japaneese string/flute vst's that could work. Of course you could use trumpet too.

The only thing I'd say now if ur wanting this to pass the judges panel would be to try varying the sounds used in the rythm section a little bit. Gets some other stuff besides the drum coming in for a breakdown, buildup, accentuation. Have them cut through the soundscape, so the listener is really like ooo ahhh, you know those moments.

Def a unique soundscape, you got tons of little things coming in and out that makes the listener give this a more than one listen just to hear everything your doing.

• 8 months later...