OCR00275 - Chrono Trigger "Island of Zeal"

m68030

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

who's one of the best composers on OC? [maze]dude, please make some mixes like your original works. Goodbye at the Airport is one stunning piano track. mixes like Bamboo Moon, Willow Weaver, Electric Fantasy 2, and Ghost Circus would be great as well

anyway this is probably my favorite version of this "zeal" theme. no one can mess with these choir synths. great mellow groove

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

so im checking the wip board and i see wintermutes wip.. and someone points out that there are a couple very good mixes of this song already, so i decide to check it out, since i enjoyed wintermutes, but i might have missed a couple. turns out i was missing THIS ONE (i was able to pinpoint quickly due to djp's new database feature ;)) and... damn i cant believe i missed this one. it sounds marvelous =) i dont know if id lift it up to the status that djp has brought it to, but its definately worth a listen or 2 or 15 =)

• 6 months later...

I only recently got to play Chrono Trigger and since there are too many songs on the site to download for a 56ker like myself, I don't usually listen to songs from games I haven't played. But of course, once I play them and find out the music is freaking AWESOME (as per CT), I go to download and man, what a task I have. I'm only just now getting around to listening to this one and it's one of those things where I say to myself "If only I knew earlier."

I love this mix. Love it love it love it. I loved the song and this is an updated version, with some nice original arrangement thrown in. Just what makes a remix great, to me. I don't go in for the overaverage techno stuff too much so I was pleased to hear what I would imagine the song to sound like had the original composer had more power with the SNES soundbank. I love the choir, personally. Sounds fantastic, I can't pinpoint why it sounds different from most choirs. Reminds me of an 80's movie that I can't put my finger on... *stares into space* Anyway, I also like the sitar, though I'm reminded of the song "Every Time You Go Away".

But enough gushing. Great mix, should have more posts, don't know why it doesn't, and a worthy addition next to my other favorite Mazedude remix, Cyborg Blobby.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ugh.. this is practically a midi rip. there is absolutely nothing interesting here; it's exactly like most of the other zeal remixes. there is minimal rearrangement and variation, and the instrumentation/drumwork is uninteresting at best. 3/10.

you could not be anymore wrong...

intelligent life on earth DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUY

this was a great remix in my opinion

i'm glad that he kept the repeating pattern

but he kept it subtle

which makes it, to me, better than the original, in which the repeating "background" phrase was overpowering

the harp arpeggios just made my day

and so did the choices of synths (vocalizations synths done nicely)

like the ambience too

very mellow

very soothing

good stuff

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm gonna have to agree with zircon here...this mix doesn't really offer a lot besides a little cool sitar work near the end. This is forgivable though, since it's one of the earlier mixes on the site. I've come to expect much more unique and interesting things from Mazedude. He's learned to take a lot more risks than he did with this mix.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Come on dude, you can better than this! He put some nice feeling in the track with cool rainstorm effects and all but STILL it doesn´t really have something that makes this mix something different than the original. It was a nice song, it was, but I´m not downloading it.

Sorry, dude.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've got a lot of Mazedude's stuff on my playlists lately, and though I have to say this isn't his best, its still worth a mention! I love the beat - the drums and bass make it sound like a latin piece, and the twinkly (I'll call it twinkly cause I'm not sure exactly what it is xD) synth just adds something a bit lighter to even it up. The one qualm I have with this piece is the fact that it simply fades out - it would have been nice to hear a nice dramatic drum solo or a clash or something at the end. Otherwise, very pretty n__n

• 5 months later...

Although I agree that this piece is missing a little something to really make it stand out from the original, I like how you kept most of the original song intact. It's good to not see another "remix" of a song that you can hardly recognize what the original song was.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

some nice harp glissando's and effects, but it's so close to the source I'm not really sure how this survived lockdowns 1 and 2. It has a little bit of arrangement in the form of a second counterpoint in the second half, but compared to most of Mazedude's other works, this is pretty uninspired.

It's still a great listen, with clean production and some high quality sounds, but it seems really halfassed; it even has a fadeout.

I love Mazedude's work, but this one is just a bit too vanilla. I can understand it being one of the earlier mixes in the site. Check it out, just don't expect to be blown away.

• 5 months later...

Wh... what? Conservative Mazedude? This is the sort of music Bizarro Mazedude would consistently produce.

Actually, as safe and riskless as it is, Mazedude's knack for choosing the perfect blend of sounds and instruments is still here. And truth be told, I'd much rather listen to this over some of the other drab renditions of this theme; I even prefer this over the original.

However, this mix doesn't hold up all that well, even after disregarding Mazedude's asskicking experimental future. The small amount of arrangement sounds nice for what it is, but is it enough? I think not, and it seems to be the general consensus.

An interesting first OCR mix, but perhaps interesting for the wrong reasons. Humble beginnings, indeed.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

This is pretty conservative, considering Masedude does awesometastic things with music that makes my ear bleed out massive amounts of joy. But hey, a mix is a mix, and I like this mix.

The instruments are really well done, and the thunder/rain effects are nice. All up, this is a pleasant track, nothing hugely mindblowing, but a pleasant track nonetheless.

• 5 years later...

I feel that this track is definitely greatly carried by how well-made it is. Really fond of the percussion usage and the water effects in the background. Everything just sounds so clear and pretty, I actually didn't know this track came out in like...2002(!!)* because its fidelity sounds on the level of something I'd hear today.

What is the lead melody "played" by? It's peculiar in a good way...I swear it sounds like singing when it hits the higher notes, which makes it both pretty and kind of eerie too.

*(for reference, I was 11 when this track came out)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00275 - Chrono Trigger "Island of Zeal"