OCR03695 - *YES* Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon & Legend of Zelda "Only Link Can Do the Duck Walk"

Gario

ReMix: Only Link Can Do the Duck Walk ()

ReMixer name: Hylian Lemon

Games arranged:

Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon
The Legend of Zelda

Songs arranged:
Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon - Overworld Map (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GC1MR8q5oM)
The Legend of Zelda - Overworld (at 1:05-1:08, 1:56-2:17, 3:04)

Wand of Gamelon info:
System -  Philips CD-i
Composer - Tony Trippi (Note: Wikipedia also credits William Havlicek as a composer. The in-game credits list Trippi under "Soundtrack" and Havlicek under "Audio Producer." An interview with the director of the game also credits Trippi as the sole composer. I can't find much of any info on Havlicek. So...I have no idea.)

Comments:
Link is the only person known to have mastered the duck walk. When he's in trouble, it's up to Zelda to save this ancient art!

I'd been wanting to arrange this tune for a while, but I didn't have any solid ideas until I started a spreadsheet to keep track of all my past and future Zelda ReMixes. First I thought, "Well hey, what if I change the rhythm to something a bit peppier?" After that, the pseudo-80's-pop-chiptune aesthetic just kind of leaked in unintentionally. It's not a big leap from the style of the soundtrack as a whole, but maybe a little goofier
Edited by Liontamer

Listened to this song about 100 times after hearing it on the WIP boards, and I can't get it out of my head. It's so goddamn cheezy that I can't help but love every bit of it. There's quite a bit of solid composition in this, to boot - really good blending of the Zelda 1 overworld with the Wand of Gamelon theme. I can't say that I don't love that you stuck with my naming suggestion, either, lol.

Not much to say other than my praise, but my ears may have just gotten used to it over time. I think it's high time for our first Phillips CDi remix on OCR, and this is the perfect candidate for it.

YES

Ah, The Wand of Gamelon.  Along with Link: Faces of Evil and Zelda's Adventure, the only reason anyone's even heard of the CD-i.  And this is a suitably ridiculous remix for that ridiculous game.  I love how it tries to be anthemic around 1:11, but it's just too goofy to even take itself seriously and quickly falls apart.

I don't have much to add either.  Lemon has this style down to a routine production-wise, and while this arrangement is a little random and strange at times, that's a big part of its charm.  Let's get the CD-i added to the remix database for the very best of reasons.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/11/20 - (2Y) Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon & Legend of Zelda 'Only Link Can Do the Duck Walk'
  • Liontamer changed the title to 2016/11/20 - (3Y) Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon & Legend of Zelda 'Only Link Can Do the Duck Walk'

Super fun stuff.  The original soundtrack was pure Cheddar, and this mix follows in the same vein somewhat, but makes things a hundred times more interesting by clever arrangement ideas.  I don't know why but this reminds me a bit of some songs from Rygar... maybe it's that, unlike the original, it has much more of an adventurous feel to it.  

Anyways solid stuff, should please the Wand of Gamelon fans out there, we know those 2 guys must be in dire need of fan remixes!

YES