OCR03639 - *YES* Dark Souls "Conflagration"

Gario

Contact Info:

Remixer name - Phonetic Hero
Real name - Pete Lepley
Email adress - 
User ID - 44763

Submission Info:
Name of game - Sonic 2, Sonic 3D (Saturn)
Name of arrangement - Conflagration
Source names (and links) - Gwyn, Lord of Cinder
Composers: Motoi Sakuraba

Additional:

Gonna start with a little about what I've been up to, and a bit about how this remix came to be in the first place - I've been freelancing full time for about a year and a half as of this submission, and without a single doubt, it's been the hardest I've ever worked in my life.  I'm going on almost a full year of working every single night with very few exceptions, though I knew the first couple/few years would be a grind to gain experience and work my way up.  I've been scraping by for the most part, but I'm also very happy and grateful to be doing what I'm doing (if a little exhausted at times).  This remix was "commissioned" by a friend who helped me out when I got financially sucker-punched and was at a very low point, and I can't thank him enough for saving my career from going dormant for a time.

As for the remix itself, I've taken a few opportunities lately to try to improve my orchestral work.  I've also never played Dark Souls before haha, but the source track has a mournful-yet-resolute vibe that really gripped me after hearing it.  I tried to expand on that and stay true to the source, despite having pretty limited context for it in-game.  Hopefully I did right by it!

Thanks for listening, and a humongous heartfelt shout out to all my friends and fans who have helped me get to where I am today <3

An unusually conservative remix for pH, to be sure.  I think the extra layers constitute enough interpretation for our standards, though.  Some great orchestration here.

The levels, however, still need some work.  There's some heavy distortion in the louder sections, most notably 2:17-2:42.  I'm actually seeing it clipping by 0.35 dB or so.

After listening to this looping all afternoon, ultimately I think the distortion is just too much.  It's a really great arrangement overall, which is why I didn't mind listening to it so many times, but that crackling really is distracting.  Should be an easy enough fix for Pete, so hopefully he can do that and send it back our way quickly.

Edit: Yes, yes he did.

YES

• 1 month later...

This transforms a track that by its nature is pretty low key and transforms it into something much grander. I'm loving the overall large sound that this transforms into - it surprises me that the original didn't transform this in that manner (I haven't played Dark Souls 3, so I couldn't say another track in the OST does so).

MindWanderer is correct on the production issues, but I don't think they're so excessive as to sink the arrangement. Be careful with your big instruments coming in all at once next time, though, as the combinations of the big bass, the large brass swells, etc., are the primary cause of the worst hot production moments in this. It's not perfect, but I think it's still within the bar as is. It production does hold this back from the front page, though, pay attention particularly to 2:17 - 2:42 - that's the area of most concern for this one.

Otherwise, great work!

YES

I'll admit I know Pete mostly for his complex+catchy edm songs, so this was a pleasant surprise for me.  Somehow this remix changes the tone just slightly, tipping it over to a more epic/Hollywood soundtrack style, and it works very well in that respect.  Different instruments play the role of the source's melodic leads in the original piano rendition, and the supporting harmonies play along well.  The performances seem good for the most part in this track, but the mixing is not quite optimal here.  I think this needs a much more relaxed mastering, even if it needs to be bombastic and epic and loud at times, you should let the dynamics of the track do that for you.  Also the other Js are correct in the points where distortion is occurring and I noticed that right away, I think this is something that needs to be fixed before posting, if it gets to the front page.

I will put a conditional on the distortion points being fixed, since this is pretty much my only deal-breaker here and it's not hard to fix, but not something I would let a song going to the front page get away with.  But since that will most likely require relaxing the mastering, I will advise Pete to just let the track breathe with more headroom and have the large dynamic range that symphonic arrangements usually have.

YES 

EDIT:
Contacted Pete and he'll give us a new version with a second pass on the mix in a few days, I'll update the thread then with the new version.

EDIT 2:
Pete has provided a new version, which fixed the distortion pointed at 2:17 and 2:42.  I've updated the first post with it.
 think the mix could've been relaxed further, but not being ideal doesn't mean it's not ok.  Changing my vote to a yes.

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2016/09/28 - (2Y/1N) Dark Souls 'Conflagration'

Oh hey I only listened to the second one, no mixing issues for me! Great expansion of the source, I agree that enhancing the mood of mournful yet resolute was a great way to go. The track sounds natural and flows really well. Good to hear more from you PH, and I'd love to hear more orchestral from you in the future!

YES