MnP sexy 69: FF4 - Theme of Love

HoboKa

4 hours ago, Ronald Poe said:

I'm fine with getting last place (I'm used to it  in compos), I'm still rather proud of my work. I mainly join compos to hone my skills and learn from my mistakes. I also think this would've been more appropriate for Round 64, LOL.

Trust me, music production is a long, long road out of hell.  I'm still struggling myself and I've been at it for 8+ years (not working on it every day, mind you).  So expect to struggle a lot, and it's okay to be upset and flustered once in a while in the face of positive (or negative) feedback from random peeps on the interwebs; it's all part of the process haha.  

8 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Trust me, music production is a long, long road out of hell.  I'm still struggling myself and I've been at it for 8+ years (not working on it every day, mind you).  So expect to struggle a lot, and it's okay to be upset and flustered once in a while in the face of positive (or negative) feedback from random peeps on the interwebs; it's all part of the process haha.  

I have more failed songs, remixes, and mixes than I do successful ones. I've been at this for a good while too. I imagine most folks who have done this for a while are probably pretty similar. 

22 minutes ago, APZX said:

I have more failed songs, remixes, and mixes than I do successful ones. I've been at this for a good while too. I imagine most folks who have done this for a while are probably pretty similar. 

Yep.  You also don't want to see my OCR rejections list.  I don't mean to brag, but I probably have the longest record of NO's than anyone else here.  T_T

I know how you guys feel. Do you guys honestly think I post all my remixes and pieces on my Soundcloud? I've got 3 rejections (all of which were reasonable and polite) and have been hesitant to submit another one (out of insecurities mainly). As you guys can tell my eccentric style and repetitious nature don't do me any favors. I'm probably going to enter next round ...

By the way, my soundcloud is "Dark Ronald Poe" and it's full of remixes and original pieces (most of which are tributes to Kingdom Hearts but some are inspired by Scott Pilgrim).

On 3/11/2017 at 8:08 AM, Ronald Poe said:

I know how you guys feel. Do you guys honestly think I post all my remixes and pieces on my Soundcloud? I've got 3 rejections (all of which were reasonable and polite) and have been hesitant to submit another one (out of insecurities mainly). As you guys can tell my eccentric style and repetitious nature don't do me any favors. I'm probably going to enter next round ...

By the way, my soundcloud is "Dark Ronald Poe" and it's full of remixes and original pieces (most of which are tributes to Kingdom Hearts but some are inspired by Scott Pilgrim).

Aye, the struggle is real man...

OCR standards are pretty friggin' high bar and many brothers and sisters have been left huddling in the trenches, shell-shocked and nursing bruised egos...I and a few other people (won't list names, because I don't really feel like stirring the pot), spoken with agree that the bar is too high for casual hobbyists - I mean look at the NO list in the Judge Thread...I find it a very saddening sight.  Granted some remixes truly are terrible - being off-tempo, off-key (etc), pure sonic despair encapsulated... But I'd like go to out on a limb and say that those cases are pretty rare.  Don't quote me on that though lol!

Also, back in the day, there was ThaSauce and VG Mix for the average shmuck who just wanted to faff about, but...well that pretty much just leaves it to the compo scene and YouTube I guess.  On the PLUS side, the feedback on this site is MOSTLY very sound and it will help you to grow if you really invest the time and effort to do so.  It all boils down to what you wanna with it.

23 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Aye, the struggle is real man...

OCR standards are pretty friggin' high bar and many brothers and sisters have been left huddling in the trenches, shell-shocked and nursing bruised egos...I and a few other people (won't list names, because I don't really feel like stirring the pot), spoken with agree that the bar is too high for casual hobbyists - I mean look at the NO list in the Judge Thread...I find it a very saddening sight.  Granted some remixes truly are terrible - being off-tempo, off-key (etc), pure sonic despair encapsulated... But I'd like go to out on a limb and say that those cases are pretty rare.  Don't quote me on that though lol!

Also, back in the day, there was ThaSauce and VG Mix for the average shmuck who just wanted to faff about, but...well that pretty much just leaves it to the compo scene and YouTube I guess.  On the PLUS side, the feedback on this site is MOSTLY very sound and it will help you to grow if you really invest the time and effort to do so.  It all boils down to what you wanna with it.

The bar is high I agree, but if you've honed your craft in composition and mixing skills it isn't that high. I mean I work a full time job and what not, but I still find time to do this stuff because I love it! I'm not as strong compositionally as I'd like to be, but mixing wise I know a thing or two despite my disagreements with folks on mixing ideas and concepts, but that starts to happen when you have an idea of what to do lol.

I got one track through after getting it rejected once (fair criticism and such). Then another two got rejected. One I felt was completely fair and justified and even requested that it be removed because I felt it wasn't up to par in the first place, but decided to let it go anyway. The second I don't agree with and am not going to do anything about it because I felt that it was too subjective of a judgement. I know it may seem that I'm being strong with words there, but it is how I feel about it and why I'm not going to do any changes. Sorry, don't want to stir the pot either, just what I've experienced thus far.

4 hours ago, APZX said:

The bar is high I agree, but if you've honed your craft in composition and mixing skills it isn't that high. I mean I work a full time job and what not, but I still find time to do this stuff because I love it! I'm not as strong compositionally as I'd like to be, but mixing wise I know a thing or two despite my disagreements with folks on mixing ideas and concepts, but that starts to happen when you have an idea of what to do lol.

I got one track through after getting it rejected once (fair criticism and such). Then another two got rejected. One I felt was completely fair and justified and even requested that it be removed because I felt it wasn't up to par in the first place, but decided to let it go anyway. The second I don't agree with and am not going to do anything about it because I felt that it was too subjective of a judgement. I know it may seem that I'm being strong with words there, but it is how I feel about it and why I'm not going to do any changes. Sorry, don't want to stir the pot either, just what I've experienced thus far.

SAME HERE MAN...most poignantly was my Sonic CD collab-remix "Titillating Tempest" - the panel's chief argument was that it didn't have enough source material...that argument coulda swung both ways if I really felt like time-stamping everything and putting forth my own argument, but IDK if it's worth the stress and time to do so.  Jordan Etienne/Damashi and Xenon Odyssey worked their asses off for it, if not even more I did.  

Makes me kinda wish that we could petition for a second-opinion with entirely fresh ears on the joojing side of things. 

Also, on another weird ass tangent, I feel that shit tons of super liberal interpretations do pass the panel.  I bet EVERY solid remixer has experienced that it at least once - where they and other people know that their remix was pretty solid, yet the panel just had to jdfgt it too much.  

21 minutes ago, HoboKa said:

SAME HERE MAN...most poignantly was my Sonic CD collab-remix "Titillating Tempest" - the panel's chief argument was that it didn't have enough source material...that argument coulda swung both ways if I really felt like time-stamping everything and putting forth my own argument, but IDK if it's worth the stress and time to do so.  Jordan Etienne/Damashi and Xenon Odyssey worked their asses off for it, if not even more I did.  

Makes me kinda wish that we could petition for a second-opinion with entirely fresh ears on the joojing side of things. 

Also, on another weird ass tangent, I feel that shit tons of super liberal interpretations do pass the panel.  I bet EVERY solid remixer has experienced that it at least once - where they and other people know that their remix was pretty solid, yet the panel just had to jdfgt it too much.  

For me the remix that made it through was what I'd call a fairly "liberal" interpretation of an oddball of a SNES game that hadn't even been entered into the annals of OCR, The Lawnmower Man (was side scroller shooter-esque), and the first level track. What made me want to do it was the bassline. I mean how can you listen to that bassline and not want to do something with it? Anyway, the track that spawned from that was Cyber Mower. Now, it does waffle on for a bit in the beginning and the original did have a very drab middle though I wanted it that way. So, I beefed up that section and basically left the end alone because rockin' synth solo is rockin'. 

The one track that got kicked back that I didn't like was my remix of FF VIII's Blue Fields, Serene Pastures. If I recall the primary thing was some disharmonious bits and a lead & mainline that felt like it was written in a different in a different time signature than what I remixed to. I mean I put a lot of work into that remix, and really I felt and still feel that it was too subjective of a judgement. But hey it is what it is. Something I had in the works for the longest time was a Super Metroid remix of Upper Brinstar, but the project just kept causing me issues in various ways. So, in the mean time while I try to find something else I want to remix I've been mucking more with hardware and scratching my head about mixing Valkyrion (I know it is probably overdue, but man I can't figure it out :( )

54 minutes ago, APZX said:

For me the remix that made it through was what I'd call a fairly "liberal" interpretation of an oddball of a SNES game that hadn't even been entered into the annals of OCR, The Lawnmower Man (was side scroller shooter-esque), and the first level track. What made me want to do it was the bassline. I mean how can you listen to that bassline and not want to do something with it? Anyway, the track that spawned from that was Cyber Mower. Now, it does waffle on for a bit in the beginning and the original did have a very drab middle though I wanted it that way. So, I beefed up that section and basically left the end alone because rockin' synth solo is rockin'. 

The one track that got kicked back that I didn't like was my remix of FF VIII's Blue Fields, Serene Pastures. If I recall the primary thing was some disharmonious bits and a lead & mainline that felt like it was written in a different in a different time signature than what I remixed to. I mean I put a lot of work into that remix, and really I felt and still feel that it was too subjective of a judgement. But hey it is what it is. Something I had in the works for the longest time was a Super Metroid remix of Upper Brinstar, but the project just kept causing me issues in various ways. So, in the mean time while I try to find something else I want to remix I've been mucking more with hardware and scratching my head about mixing Valkyrion (I know it is probably overdue, but man I can't figure it out :( )

Cyber Mower was you???  Totally didn't realize, I love that remix!! :D 

Can I hear your FFVIII's Blue Fields/Serene Pastures remix?  You can post in here or via PM, doesn't matter to me.  

Upper Brinstar can be a cunt to work with, as it's difficult to improve upon something that is already a masterpiece haha...got at least 1 NO'd remix of that source material too, so go figure.  I'm sure Valkyrion remix will present itself when it wants, or it may never - umm...maybe approach it as a cover-mix at first, then add subtle changes as you go??  Might evolve into something cool.  

10 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Cyber Mower was you???  Totally didn't realize, I love that remix!! :D 

Can I hear your FFVIII's Blue Fields/Serene Pastures remix?  You can post in here or via PM, doesn't matter to me.  

Upper Brinstar can be a cunt to work with, as it's difficult to improve upon something that is already a masterpiece haha...got at least 1 NO'd remix of that source material too, so go figure.  I'm sure Valkyrion remix will present itself when it wants, or it may never - umm...maybe approach it as a cover-mix at first, then add subtle changes as you go??  Might evolve into something cool.  

Yeah Cyber Mower was me. That was a fun remix to do. I'm still a fan of the synth solo at the end. 

The Blue Fields/Serene Pastures remix is on my SoundCloud. My Upper Brinstar remix basically sits like this. 

The problem with my Valkyrion remix is that I'm having issues with mixing it. I just can't get it sounding the way I want lol.

11 hours ago, APZX said:

Yeah Cyber Mower was me. That was a fun remix to do. I'm still a fan of the synth solo at the end. 

The Blue Fields/Serene Pastures remix is on my SoundCloud. My Upper Brinstar remix basically sits like this. 

The problem with my Valkyrion remix is that I'm having issues with mixing it. I just can't get it sounding the way I want lol.

Cool, listening now.  Follow me back nigga.  I'll post comments on your SoundCloud :P 

EDIT

Yeahhh...WAIT - it feels more like something from the Ultima with that funky brass...WAIT oh there we go 1:27 onward feels more like something from Metroid Prime, which is a very good thing lol.  I'm digging the shtuff after 1:27, especially at the 2:45/3:00 ish area, oh man.  3:20, is a kick ass wub wub break down.  This sorta reminds me of AM2R (Hydro Station) LOL!   Lots of neat subtle touches, 4:00 is really cool too with the popcorny/plucky synths.  4:36 to end is pretty cool.  Over all, I'd say this remix is kinda like a real sexy chill-out cyber-punk remix - best way for me to describe it.  IDK if it's OCR material, but does it have to be??  "Vectoral Exploration" is a pretty swag remix already - I'd say improve upon what you've got already and maybe make the 1:27 area a bit more recognizable to the source???  IDK...just throwing some darts in the darkness :P 

52 minutes ago, HoboKa said:

Cool, listening now.  Follow me back nigga.  I'll post comments on your SoundCloud :P 

EDIT

Yeahhh...WAIT - it feels more like something from the Ultima with that funky brass...WAIT oh there we go 1:27 onward feels more like something from Metroid Prime, which is a very good thing lol.  I'm digging the shtuff after 1:27, especially at the 2:45/3:00 ish area, oh man.  3:20, is a kick ass wub wub break down.  This sorta reminds me of AM2R (Hydro Station) LOL!   Lots of neat subtle touches, 4:00 is really cool too with the popcorny/plucky synths.  4:36 to end is pretty cool.  Over all, I'd say this remix is kinda like a real sexy chill-out cyber-punk remix - best way for me to describe it.  IDK if it's OCR material, but does it have to be??  "Vectoral Exploration" is a pretty swag remix already - I'd say improve upon what you've got already and maybe make the 1:27 area a bit more recognizable to the source???  IDK...just throwing some darts in the darkness :P 

The problem with Vectoral Exploration really wasn't that issue of it being true to the source or such. I mean the source is all sorts of sprinkled in there. The backing pads, the originals just stretched. The lead line was totally all me. But I mean there is so much source in there it is crazy. Like 95% is source in some fashion or another. Really just using the bits and pieces in different ways. But really the issue boiled down to the project file causing me all sorts of grief. Like randomly freezing or getting a straight DC spike. So, yeah. 

1 hour ago, APZX said:

The problem with Vectoral Exploration really wasn't that issue of it being true to the source or such. I mean the source is all sorts of sprinkled in there. The backing pads, the originals just stretched. The lead line was totally all me. But I mean there is so much source in there it is crazy. Like 95% is source in some fashion or another. Really just using the bits and pieces in different ways. But really the issue boiled down to the project file causing me all sorts of grief. Like randomly freezing or getting a straight DC spike. So, yeah. 

That happened to me with several mixes too, particularly on my older PC.  Its shitty when that happens T_T