OCR01523 - Mega Man 2 "Too Hot for Heat Man"

djpretzel

Evilhorde is right. This would be a bitchin' ringtone: but as a piece of music it doesn't find the medium between high and low fi. It seems stuck in between both with a less than desirable outcome.

Arrangement-wise it's not bad at all, but nothing that really threw me for a loop, or a "let's hear that again" moment.

A very unique little piece. I'm pretty sure I have to like it a lot but I'm still having difficulty understanding it since I've never heard anything quite like it before.

The pitch effect used, I suppose it's best called 'fast interval scales' or something... it goes hand in hand with the chiptune vibe you're using, but is also so prevalent that it quickly makes for, almost, a new instrument all together.

Very puzzling, exactly what I look for in a mix... and of course, great source tune.

:nw:

fish/10

Mixes that do stuff unexpected with the source tune are always great.

Indeed. AeroZ has played with the original melody much, adding some new twitches and sudden changes in the rhytm and pace. Fun to listen to, but as CW stated before, if it's a keeper or not is a question I'm divided at.

Nah, I'll just take it. Nice stuff, Aero to the Z. Now fetch me one who is too cold for Iceman. :wink:

I enjoyed this for the most part, some of the sound effects going on behind the melody were a bit annoying, but the track would've most likely been too empty without them. Nice interplay between multiple lead voices otherwise. Interesting stuff, though I definitely agree on its suitability for mobile phone usage.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a fan of Megaman...

but damn if this isn't an awesome video game remix. Quite a few of the recent uploads just aren't to my liking, but I listened to this one, I knew I had a keeper. I really enjoy it, very catchy, very upbeat, just great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ya know... chiptunes are great and Megaman is great. This song is not. It's really kind of a mess. There no clear direction, there's nothing really too interesting going on, and there's not much originality. And then it goes and repeats itself... Maybe I'm oldskool and bitter? It gets a 2 out of 5.

• 3 weeks later...

I really enjoy listening to this. I really like what you've got going on sonically here--I love the drums, and i love the chiptune sound to it. You've also got some nice counterpoint going on. I'm not a fan of the wierd chirpy things, but that's not a big deal (i think they could be less frequent/less long). I listen to this a lot actually, in the car, when walking, it's really cool. At first I didn't appreciate it that much, which is why I'm not posting this until now. After a while i really started to dig it's style.

Nice job :D

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

AeroZ's first OCR track, back when he was only the Prince of Sweden. :-)

The only things I dislike about this mix is some of the flange effects used on the drums (which don't happen frequently), and the off-tempo sound effects (which happen a bit too frequently).

Everything else is fantastic chiptune-inspired bliss. I love the crazy and fun decending arpeggios, bringing to mind the sound effect that plays when megaman (or his robotic foe) gets to zero energy.

Very fun and fast stuff, minor issues contained, but overall very strong.

Check it out. :-)

• 9 months later...

So, I burnteded me an mp3 cd for my car once upon a time, and I had this gem stashed away in my music folder that I never use to listen to songs on my computer.

Long story short: one day while driving home one late night, I hear this sound on the speakers: it's almost like a vomiting noise. I wondered if something was wrong with my car, or if in general there was something to be worried about, like hungry, angry zombies attacking my car to eat my brain, right?

But alas, I was mistaken. It was just an awesome Heatman remix that I hadn't heard in a long time. It's disgustingly and infectiously and zombie-eating-your-brains-delicious-brains good.

• 9 months later...

AeroZ track number 1! Awesome intro right off the bat. Thd short popcorn synth sounds wonderful The rhythm of it really helps to drive the piece. The drums are particularly good. The change in time signature is especially good. Excellent production value. This sounds like a glorified chiptune, but at the same time, it still sounds really well produced. Not a midi rip at all. The bubbling/pulsating bass/synth sounds cool. It really gives the track the rhythmic pocket. Very cool. Excellent work on your first OCR mix!!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01523 - Mega Man 2 "Too Hot for Heat Man"