I think my music is boring

CubicHero

For about a year I compose music so I'm still a beginner. The thing is, I think that everything I create is really boring. Like... super boring. On the other hand, my friend thinks my music is quite nice. Of course we all know it is the best to give your creations to strangers so here I am. Link goes to soundcloud to my account where I uploaded two tracks. One is a music piece that my friend really likes and the other one is just piano piece I made recently. I just simply wanna ask you what you think. Do you think it sounds nice or rather is really bad?

https://soundcloud.com/user-416396021/tracks

The piano piece is nice, though it would benefit hugely had it had a human element to it.

Spark sounds nice too.  I mean, yeah it's boring if you're trying to create a number one pop hit or a metal song and this is what you ended up with, but as background music for a narration or something this is fine.

What sort of music inspires you?  What sort of music are you trying to produce?  What/who are you comparing yourself to that would consider this boring?

This is primarily an issue of composition. Focus on improving that before anything else.

• Your pieces lack a strong sense of harmonic direction and movement.

• The melody lacks phrasing, pleasing contour or true thematic structure. It sounds "random" as a result.

• The pieces are extremely repetitive. Without introducing new elements at regular intervals, repetition gets boring fast. Think of it as if you're sitting outside on a summer day. First, you notice the breeze passing through trees; then, you hear a dog barking in the distance; next, you notice the sound of traffic, etc. Each time a new sound comes in, you're still hearing the previous ones, but your focus is now on the new one. Use this same effect in music.

• The arrangements don't feel very "full". Try adding in more instruments, counter melody, arpeggios etc. Basically, create more movement.

• Try harmonizing some of the melodies either via counterpoint, thirds, octaves or other doubles

• Greater range of dynamics to create sections that sound "bigger" than others. Some sections should be soft, others played more fiercely.

• Use cadences, instrument flourishes, rolls, etc. to create transitions between sections.

Thank you both for your answers. AngelCityOutlaw, I understand that I have many things to learn to make my music sound at least close to "good".  To be honest I started to learn music theory only some time ago. In that case I would like to ask you, would you recommend any sources where to learn about all that stuff? I know it would be the best to learn from a teacher, but unfortunately I don't have money to do so. 

I know you didn't ask me, but here:

https://www.musictheory.net/lessons

Learning music is something that takes time. Time and effort. Especially piano. Piano, is in my opinion, the hardest instrument to master. But, that doesn't mean it's impossible. Sure, your stuff may not be great, but keep at it, and each day, it'll get better. If you have any questions about music theory, you can feel free to ask me. That's a personal invitation.

1 hour ago, Ridiculously Garrett said:

I know you didn't ask me, but here:

https://www.musictheory.net/lessons

Learning music is something that takes time. Time and effort. Especially piano. Piano, is in my opinion, the hardest instrument to master. But, that doesn't mean it's impossible. Sure, your stuff may not be great, but keep at it, and each day, it'll get better. If you have any questions about music theory, you can feel free to ask me. That's a personal invitation.

Piano is hard to master? Please. Though I have perfect pitch so I really shouldn't be saying anything....

On 2/22/2017 at 8:21 PM, TheChargingRhino said:

Piano is hard to master? Please. Though I have perfect pitch so I really shouldn't be saying anything....

@TheChargingRhino This wasn't really helpful in any way, or relevant to the topic, and came off as arrogant. Best to chime in with something relevant to the thread; if it's a tangent of some kind, it shouldn't just be objecting to someone's claim made on the side, and then dropping your asserted perfect pitch in. I'm not sure you're aware of how that comes off, but it doesn't come off well.