Music from the Sly Cooper game series used in Saturday Night Takeaway

Rexy

A quick history on the show: Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway is a variety show that airs on ITV in the UK during the late Winter / early Spring.  The TV duo (Ant McPartlin and Declan Donnely) are one of the most iconic double acts of the past 20 years in this country, having grown as entertainers that worked efficiently as a duo.

A quick history on the game: Sly 2: Band of Thieves is a stealth / platforming videogame released on the PlayStation 2 in 2004, and the second game in the Sly Cooper videogame series.  A lot of musical motifs in the second game, as composed by Peter McConnell (whom most guys that frequent here would recognize his work in Psychonauts and Grim Fandango among other Lucasarts titles), would go on to be recurring themes in the game's following sequels.  The Paris theme in particular ended up shaping motifs for what would eventually become the main theme for the Sly series as a whole.

What appears to be a re-recording of a fragment for the Paris theme can be heard as backing music during The Missing Crown Jewels, the new recurring mini-drama within the current season of Saturday Night Takeaway.  The time-stamp for the musical fragment goes from 2:13-3:02.

When I heard it when watching tonight's show live, my mind suddenly got blown and I had to type my baffled thoughts on Twitter within seconds.  Now here comes the next interesting thoughts regarding all this - did someone at the show's production team at ITV or Mitre TV think they could acknowledge videogame music in such a way and highlight the score to a mainstream viewing audience?  Could it be a case of just putting in the music without giving any form of loyalties?  Or was there something else that might've been behind the scenes?  Either way, I've heard videogame music being brought in through TV before but ITV was the last channel I was expecting to try and pull this off.

Thoughts, assuming people outside the UK can actually see the first video link?

The first link isn't viewable in the U.S., unfortunately.

Anyway, hard to guess, and it might depend on their development process.  I'm not sure if U.K. media is as careful about copyright and licensing when it comes to that sort of thing as the U.S. is, so it's possible some random person just snuck in in there, or someone might have pulled it out of some general list or database without realizing what they were getting.