OCR03507 - Duke Nukem 3D "Nostalgic Dump"

Liontamer

Hot diggity, nice to see some more Duke Nukem 3D love. I almost remixed this theme a while back, never did, so it's cool to hear someone else tackle it.

I feel it takes a bit to get going, but I'd agree with the judges that it almost has a mellow aspect once the groove comes in. Rather than headbangin' I find myself swaying back and forth, envisioning ol' Duke shooting them aliens up in a casual, laid-back manner.

I'd prefer a little more variety as the track continues, perhaps a different lead sound or a change in the percussion, but still, a nice track that hits that nuanced "aggressive chillout" style. Now to go check out the rest of "Reduked"!

Not going to lie, this is an arrangement that I find myself coming back to ever since I first heard it. It's the kind of track that, while it doesn't really have that 'one moment' that really strikes you as amazing, its consistent high quality overall keeps you smiling through the whole track. As mentioned in the write-up there's a period where it gets a little stale, but the track gets right back into it and doesn't let up after that.

There isn't really a mood that this track doesn't fit, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Solid work, a great track if you want to chill out OR shoot some alien scum.

;)

• 1 month later...

Huh, the koto mixed with the hard bassline industrial beat was weird and interesting to me, and I gotta say, I'm surprised with how much I like it. I love listening to songs and ReMixes and hearing combinations I never would have thought of before. Very cool sound here. The watery effects were great, and really, like I said before, I'm kind of fascinated that this has such a hard beat going for it, but it seems more relaxing than heavy. I'm guessing the synths have that effect on me. In any event, I dig it. Great debut, man.