OCR01524 - Cave Story "Moon Rhapsody"

djpretzel

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know why this one doesn't have the same number of reviews as some of the other OCR classics, I really think this piece is amazing. Every instrument is handled with care, but the drums, violin, and flute really feel natural and harmonious to me. My only complaint is that the violin feels mixed really loudly, it's kind of startling!

I personally think this is Doug's best-written and best-executed song, I'm glad the judges hassled him about certain aspects to get this one as good as it is today. One of my favorites and it pains me to see this one only have a few pages of reviews.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Our first mix from Mr. Doug. The opening ambient SFX was great. The pure tone of the synth juxtaposes quite nicely! The quirky drum beat creates a great vibe. The bass chuggs along pretty well in there. The strings are a little electronic-y for me, but they add a nice touch. Love the oboe tho. The slow breakdown section is great and brings in a great dynamic change. The marcato strings are a little slow in attack, but it's not a deal break at all. The LIVE violin is gorgeous. So much so that my wife just leaned over and asked me, "Is that from the Spanglish soundtrack?" Congrats on that :)! This is a very minimalist piece in a lot of ways, but it still has lots of movement. I really like it. Doug's drumming ability has never been in question, and he finds the perfect balance here. Awesome work!

• 6 months later...

I love this remix already. It really does maintain the atmosphere throughout, and you did a great job with everything. The instrumentation choices, I think, were perfect. Probably, the only thing that might have been changed is the panning on some parts (bass synth melody?) and some volume levels, as mentioned before. Thank you. :)

• 3 years later...

This is so charming. If you know what is the final cave like, you understand how awesome this sounds after some fucking difficulties. Doug and his mother just nailed this feeling of... calm after the storm (or something like this :P) This is very emotive arrangement. Drums feel so soft and bass is pretty good too. But live instruments like viola, violin and flute made it a bit more than perefct. Great work!

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Man, it is so nice to hear woodwinds in a remix. I think the lo-fi synths sound a little robotic, which is jarring given the lovely strings and woodwinds, but the general "vibe" is good enough that I can easily overlook it. I love the lead violin that comes in, but I wish it was there more, because it's just so pretty!

Cave Story's yet another game I haven't played, hence the lack of critique about the usage of the melody in question. :S Sorry!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01524 - Cave Story "Moon Rhapsody"