MnP 70: Halo 2 - Impend

HoboKa

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Round 70: Halo 2 - Impend

Midihttp://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP70_Halo_2--Impend.mid

Youtube:

"Moving up to Halo 2 and there is a wonderfully foreboding piece titled, Impend. The MIDI to it. I mean enjoyed the game a ton, and I know it was popular. Amazingly the actual music for most of the game is super simple. This should be interesting. Plus there is no need to try and figure out how to get a guitar now hehe."

-APZX

Deadline: March 26 Sun @ 1 PM

Vote Ends: March 28 Tues @ 11 PM

Submit your remix Here when completed. 
**If you have technical difficulty with account activation at ThaSauce, please contact me via PM and I will submit your track and will also tally your vote**

MnP ARCHIVE  - made by Trism ;)

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines
1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.
2. Most or all of the source notes must be present (but not necessarily in the exact same order), secondly the mood (energy, pacing, feelings being conveyed etc) should also be retained. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell.
3. If you decide to do a genre swap (i.e. symphonic to techno), make sure that the conditions of #2 are met.
4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
6. All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

1 hour ago, APZX said:

I already got a few ideas for this. I'll see if I can get a bonus submission up in time. Honestly, I can't wait to hear how folks interpret this piece. As I said I feel it is wonderfully foreboding. Should definitely be interesting. Lets hear how you guys think sonically about some action Sci-Fi video games!

I might compete as well.  Depending on my level of anxiety and energy and time and stuff x_x

Whew sorry for the delay.  I'm gonna hand the round to Chalis.

"Step into the Future" is well, it's very liberal, but I'll grant that the MIDI was quite limited AND it's difficult to emulate an expensive pitch bending vocal sample.  The percussion also felt off the mark when stacked against the source tune - BUT that being said, I thought the sound design was an interesting idea - something befitting an original chill-out oldschool electro-pop jive.  Thanks for participating Chalis!

Chalis, please PM me for round 71.  

My thoughts . . ., I guess. 

HoboKa - Impendz--Adult Ambient Diapers

Solid intro strings. Bright and a touch sombering. Lovely. Then you just straight up go dark and I love it! Wonderful atmosphere. The percussion just sells it. That broken, I dunno, glass-ish sound? Pure class. The vocal is creepy as all get out and that riser around 1:20? Mmmmm. Big heavy kick jumps in too. Then you've got this uplifting bit that comes in with the strings. Just wonderfully creepy. 

Chalis - Step Into The Future

Beyond the article being capitalized lets see. Nice little bright arp. I mean you really decided to take this away from being too dark and made it a bit lighter. The interpretation with that plucked lead is also awesome. Good sub bass too, and you kept the kick out of its way. Smart choice. Personally, not a big fan of the hats. Just kind of like a fusion of older electronic and more modern sensibilities in writing. Interesting. 

24 minutes ago, APZX said:

My thoughts . . ., I guess. 

HoboKa - Impendz--Adult Ambient Diapers

Solid intro strings. Bright and a touch sombering. Lovely. Then you just straight up go dark and I love it! Wonderful atmosphere. The percussion just sells it. That broken, I dunno, glass-ish sound? Pure class. The vocal is creepy as all get out and that riser around 1:20? Mmmmm. Big heavy kick jumps in too. Then you've got this uplifting bit that comes in with the strings. Just wonderfully creepy. 

Chalis - Step Into The Future

Beyond the article being capitalized lets see. Nice little bright arp. I mean you really decided to take this away from being too dark and made it a bit lighter. The interpretation with that plucked lead is also awesome. Good sub bass too, and you kept the kick out of its way. Smart choice. Personally, not a big fan of the hats. Just kind of like a fusion of older electronic and more modern sensibilities in writing. Interesting. 

Thanks for providing feedback for both of us APZX. :D 

EDIT

Oh!  Forgot to comment on your BONUS thar.  Gotta re-listen to it...

APZX's BONUS: "Egalic" 

Nice use of Obeirman synths there.  That pitch bendy synth reminds me so much of Axiom Verge :D - and your percussion work is probably the most MNP of all 3 of us - very Halo-ish sounding, which is good.  Lots of nice reverb/delay effects on it and it is VERY robust.  That bass is nice too.  Cool reverb kick too.