Email: 

User ID: 54548

Link to remix: 

Game: Metroid Prime

Arrangement Title: Thardus Lives!

Original Tracks: “VS. Thardus”, “Title”, “Samus  Appearance Jingle”

The original soundtrack for the game can be heard here:

https://youtu.be/tBq_SueS8oo?t=1h43m59s

One of the biggest problems I have with remixing is that I have a hard time finding tracks to remix. The thing is, with the soundtracks I really love, I find that I can’t contribute to them in a way that I feel doesn’t take away from the arrangement instead of adding to it. So I tried something different: find a tune that I liked, but didn’t necessarily love, and play around with it to see what I come up with. And here we are, with one of my most favorite game OSTs ever composed.

I found the tune begged for a harder edge and some bite, so I went in the metal direction with it. However, keeping the guitars only playing the melodies was paramount to not having the track so in-your-face as to be overwhelming, I found; but to fill out the track and keep the density of the original (which I found to be key to its impact) I found myself employing layer after layer of sound texturing via synths, giving it the quasi-industrial feel.

The middle section came about because I couldn’t figure out what to do after the reverse cymbal effect where the original track loops back on itself. It needed to be turned up a notch there. So after some experimentation, I gave in and went full guitar—which I couldn’t help putting the title melody over.

Fantastic arrangement of an unusual source.  Absolutely does what it says on the box.  I don't really have any criticism; this is just a really well-executed metal interpretation of the Thardus battle music with just a little of the title theme used for flavor.  Let's get it up.

YES

Yeah, it's pretty straight forward, but man those otherworldly sounds utilized in the source really translate well to guitar. The piano is a bit mechanical, but it's really a decorative element so that's a pretty small nitpick. It's well produced, powerful, and gets my blood pumpin'. I'm with MindWanderer 100% on this one - let's do it!

YES

• Gario changed the title to 2017/01/07 - (2Y) Metroid Prime 'Thardus Lives!'
  • 1 month later...

Really nice interpretation of a source that probably wouldn't get much love otherwise. Definitely achieved the harder bite you were looking for! My tiny tiny nitpick is that some of the earlier section feels like the guitar player isn't sure what note to play, which I think just stems from translating the source to the guitar. I'd say that's more of a personal preference, and it wasn't a big deal by any means. Great work overall!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Hearing this main source, NOW I get why Mazedude likes this soundtrack, since it totally sounds like he was borrowed to create this one. :-)

I thought the drums were the weak link here, since they didn't really fill out the back here, and I thought the soundscape could have been even airier. Otherwise, this was a solid rock cover of the theme with some expansive instrumentation touches but retaining the creepy piano to retain that feel from the original. After 2:49, the title theme was integrated with aspects of the main source, which let Chris present some more interpretive ideas along with more wholly original stuff as well. The final shot of the verse at 4:12 could have been a boring retread, but Chris beefed things up thanks to the organ; good addition of energy and tension for that final section before closing it out. Good job!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03554 - *YES* Metroid Prime "Thardus Lives!"