Are PMs limited to 5 people?

prophetik music

are PM to: lists limited to five people? i can't tell if it's a bug in how the forum's interacting with Chrome or if it's a hard limitation. the PM system has some issues with Chrome 56 at least.

if it's a limitation, can it be changed on a per-user basis? it's hard to communicate with a lot of project members without using direct email, and i'd prefer to use the forum if possible.

• 1 month later...

@prophetik music Confirmed, this is currently a hard limit for users of the "Members" group; relevant settings:

• Conversations allowed to start per day = 5
  • Conversations allowed to start per minute = 1
  • Maximum recipients per conversation = 5

These are intended to mitigate any spambots that might make it through (or, I suppose, overzealous users?) from abusing the PM system.

1. Do you need more & why?
  2. If so, and perhaps regardless, we may create an "elevated" group above regular members for users who have been around a good while, made numerous contributions, etc., and we could bump these settings for these ELITE SPECIAL PEEPS...

Just my two bits on this:

1 hour ago, djpretzel said:

Do you need more & why?

I would say yes, but depending on the situation and what you are using it for. For my part:

• Start 5 convo per day - as a director of a project, I have found this to be quite limiting, especially when I was trying to recruit for the project. Of course, this limit does not extend to existing conversations, so once contact is established it's not as much of a problem; however it slows things down and can be irritating when you are so limited on your progress within the OCR forum, especially when starting out.
  • 1 convo per minute - I have no problem with this, probably because I'm a slow typer. :) Multiple conversations at once do happen though; I guess it depends how much one multi-tasks when it comes to talking to many people at once.
  • 5 folks per convo - I have found that most collaboration work in my project is generally between 2 or 5 people, so generally I think this is okay. There are places like OCR Discord to go if you need a wider forum, as well, but it would be nice to have the option/be able to request more than 5 folks per convo when dealing with project staff or larger collaborations.  
1 hour ago, djpretzel said:

If so, and perhaps regardless, we may create an "elevated" group above regular members for users who have been around a good while, made numerous contributions, etc., and we could bump these settings for these ELITE SPECIAL PEEPS...

I think this is a great idea. As the above is hinting at, my belief is directors/producers of larger projects could make best use these additional resources, but I think ELITE SPECIAL PEEPS (love the sound of that) could apply for the same status should they require the need to do so.

Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, djpretzel said:

@prophetik music Confirmed, this is currently a hard limit for users of the "Members" group; relevant settings:

• Conversations allowed to start per day = 5
  • Conversations allowed to start per minute = 1
  • Maximum recipients per conversation = 5

These are intended to mitigate any spambots that might make it through (or, I suppose, overzealous users?) from abusing the PM system.

1. Do you need more & why?
  2. If so, and perhaps regardless, we may create an "elevated" group above regular members for users who have been around a good while, made numerous contributions, etc., and we could bump these settings for these ELITE SPECIAL PEEPS...

upping the maximum recipients per convo would be nice to let project admins send 'email blasts' to their project members. we  used to be able to send 10-15 at a time and that was real nice. an elevated group would be fairly easy to manage there, i'd think, and would prevent that people who have no remixing experience pinging the entire remixer list to join their SUPER MEGA SWEET NEW PROJECT that they abandon twelve minutes later...maybe only after a project's out of the recruiting stage and shows functional leadership? maybe also up the number of PMs you can send in a day, but even that, i dunno. the per minute one is fine.

Dropping my two cents, project directors should have a few special privileges when it comes to PMs and communications, as these limitations have impacted myself, as well (particularly, the mass messaging limitation), especially since I'm coordinating two separate though related projects that each need their own separate mass messages from time to time (happened on the same day, once, it was actually quite irritating). Might not be a bad idea to consider this one of the things granted upon official album status automatically, and something granted on request specifically for those whom are putting in serious work on an album in the recruitment thread. These limitations won't affect most users at all, but the users it DOES impact generally are either spambots (which was the point, and I imagine it's effective) or people trying to push music and projects that help OCR become a better place, which does make it important to address.

Calling it ELITE SPECIAL PEEPS would do wonders for my ever growing ego, so you should certainly call the group that if you im[. ;)