OCR03795 - *YES* Final Fantasy 6 "Six Feet Beneath the Veldt"

Gario

Contact Information

• Sagnewshreds (Other collaborators said they were fine with just being credited in the submission writeup as none of them have OCR accounts or regularly remix VGM)
  • Sam Agnew
  •  
  • userid: 32371

Submission Information

• Game: Final Fantasy 6
  • Name of arrangement: Six Feet Beneath the Veldt
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Wild West
  • Hosted link: 

Hey there! My first post on the OCR forums was about how awesome the thrash band Artillery was, so I thought it only seemed fitting that the first remix I submit would be a tribute to that band. This also just happens to be from my favorite game of all time. This is the Veldt music from FF6 in thrash metal stylings of Artillery.

This one was originally recorded for Dwelling of Duels’ MAGFest/Collaboration month February 2016. Since the theme was collaboration, I recruited old bandmates and friends of mine from the thrash metal scene.

Collaborators include:

• Mike Dreher from Condition Critical and Lich King on bass

• Tony Barhoum from Condition Critical for a couple of guest guitar solos

• Brian Westbrook from Lich King on drums and mixing/production

I did all of the arranging and guitar parts other than Tony’s guest solos (and got to bust out two solos myself as well!)

Here’s a source breakdown:

0:00 - 0:21 This is a reference to both the original Veldt theme and the intro to an Artillery song which the name of this remix came from. We tried to make the drums a mix between the Veldt drums and the drums from that song. The guitar riff has the same rhythm as the Artillery song, but with the notes from the first section of the source tune.

0:22 - 0:44 Original riff that I wrote to go under the lead coming up.

0:45 - 1:05 Lead guitar with the main melody from Wild West (the source tune).

1:06 - 1:27 The next section from Wild West played as a thrash riff with lots of triplets. The lead coming in after the first break is the melody from the section of Wild West that the rhythm guitar is referencing.

1:29 - 1:39 Guitar solo by me. The rhythm guitar under the solo is the bass from the last section of the source loop.

1:40 - 1:50 This is a thrash rendition of the same section of the source that the rhythm guitar during the solo was playing.

1:51 - 2:08 Guitar solo by Tony Barhoum

2:09 - 2:32 Guitar solo by me. These two solo sections are the only parts of the song that have no references to the source.

2:33 - 2:53 Thrash riff directly based off of the source tune. If you couldn't tell from the rhythm guitar, the lead comes in halfway through this section making it more obvious.

2:54 - 3:14 Thrash riff also referencing the same section of the source. This one is a little more obscure because it was originally supposed to be another guitar solo from someone who did not have enough time to record their parts.

3:15 - 3:49 Breakdown riff directly from the source.

3:50 - 4:00 Drums directly from the intro of the source tune. Mike also decided to lay down a little mini bass solo over this section, which I didn't originally plan on but think it sounds rad.

4:01 - 4:43 The rhythm guitar plays the main melody from the source tune, and halfway through this section Tony Barhoum rips another guitar solo.

4:44 - 4:56 Short ending riff not from the source.

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully the breakdown was helpful :) The arrangement is pretty liberal, but after going through the breakdown I'm certain that it contains enough of the source material.

There were some things I wanted to change about this before subbing, but I figured that since it's literally been over a year that I might as well just submit the damn remix.

It's a little dirty, and a little loud, but it's thrash, so that's not unreasonable.  Arrangement is pretty awesome, I didn't think it was too liberal by any means: there's lots of original content, but Sam's breakdown matches up with what I hear, and adds up to over 50%.  For all his self-deprecation about production skills, I don't have any problems with this as it stands.  Nice work!

YES

Such a heavy, thrashin' arrangement you've got here. The original material expands the material rather brilliantly - when I first heard this I had no idea how you'd make it work, but then you fit it all over the source like a glove. I love it.

The production on this is pretty bass-heavy, but it's well within our standards. The performance is great for the most part, and the balance of the mix is good. Source usage is as you say in the break down, which is more than sufficient. What can I say, I really got a kick out of this one.

YES

• 2 months later...

Nice, definitely a great adaption of Wild West. As Gario said, the expansion and original material fits in and out of the source really well, and everything felt solidly connected. If I were to nitpick I'd say that the track felt a tiny bit muffled at times, but it wasn't anywhere where I couldn't make out parts or anything. Nice work!

YES

• 3 weeks later...

Golly gee willikers, these chugs!  the guitar work is excellent here, and the interpretation is really awesome.  Tons of variations on the original motifs as well as original content without failing to provide context from the source.  2:34 is a great example of this, the original melody is modified without losing familiarity.  Excellent work all around, my only nitpick would be that the mix could've been just a tiny bit brighter, and that I didn't dig the false ends and stop after the 3 minute mark, but they do bring some pacing changes which are welcomed.   Up to the front page with this one!

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2017/03/12 - *YES - TAG* Final Fantasy 6 'Six Feet Beneath the Veldt'
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic