OCR03589 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past "Technicolor Thunderstorm"

Gario

ReMix title: Technicolor Thunderstorm
Game: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Source tune: Dark Mountain Forest
ReMixer: Hylian Lemon

Comments:
This is part of the Link to the Past album directed by WillRock and DaMonz. I’m not 100% clear on the distribution details, but my understanding is that individual tracks will be postable on OCR at some point or another.

A Link to the Past contains a lot of great source tunes that have been remixed and arranged and covered more times than is possible for a human brain to comprehend. I almost feel silly making another contribution to that kind of ocean, but hey. If I’m going to arrange something from every Zelda game, I’ve gotta hit the big ones too.

This source in particular usually gets a pretty cinematic treatment, so I felt like that was a good opportunity to break away from convention (although Platonist beat me to the punch with his excellent chips).

Despite Lemon's trademark chippy goodness, this is a bit of a departure for him.  It seems a little more conservative and less whimsical than his usual efforts, bouncing back and forth between the source's dark tones and his usual upbeat ones.  It also repeats the main hook of the source 7 times, granted in a different way every time, but to me it felt like it was getting old.

That said, I don't have any significant objections to this as a whole, certainly nothing that makes me doubt that it's worthy of a mixpost.  It's still fun, production is still fine, and it's plenty creative.

YES

I'm a big fan of Hylian Lemon's approach to chiptunes, and this one presents no exception to that. It's always lighthearted, bouncy and seems to TRY to put a smile on your face (and succeeds, like, 97% of the time).

All the chips are delicious, though the strings sound like they've been resampled a few too many times - they have a strangely muffled and overly processed sound to them that didn't quite gel with me. It might be more personal taste than anything on that front, though.

Yeah, nitpicking aside, this is a really cool arrangement. I dig, as usual.

YES

• 2 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to 2017/01/27 - (3Y) Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 'Technicolor Thunderstorm'
  • Nutritious changed the title to (2017/01/27) - *YES - TAG* Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 'Technicolor Thunderstorm'
  • Nutritious locked this topic