OCR01559 - *YES* Final Fantasy 8 'Fisherman's Revelation' *RESUB*

Liontamer

Original decision: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2950

Hey guys and pixie,

For any of you whom were judges in ye old times, I submitted an older version of this mix, which was recorded and mixing with my old software, Cakewalk HS 2002. 2 years later, after a couple requests from various peeps and one WIP that was left aside, I decided to remake the original mix, and record some shizz with my new software Reaosn and Cubase. After swindling, the one referred to as, Bladiator to perform my piano realistically with his own flair, the piece came together. It's not as raw as the original, but it's a hella lot better produced, and that was the issue last time. Same reverse guitar, delayed effects, no distortion but this time the necessity of piano.

The game I've remixed is Final Fantasy VIII

The original song title (which I've visited a couple times) is Fisherman's Horizon

I am 17 years old, and go by Tepid, whilst Karl (age unknown) goes by Bladiator (like a vicious bodily function)

My email is usually, but gmail was down at the time.

Hope this see's the panel soon, I'm looking at you Larry (you heard the originals, this should amuse you) *pleads

Thanks,

Phil

EDIT: Sorry about this, I rerecorded the rhythm guitar in the 1:00 - 1:20 section and decided to pull the ambience out in the end. The guitar has a brighter tone since I used a different pick, but I think it sounds better. My details are on the original email.

Thanks,

Phil/Tepid

Some of those piano chords at the beginning sound off-key to the rest of the tune, it happens occasionally through the rest of the piece too.

I'm going to focus on my main problem with the piece: The drums. What are they even in the piece for? They don't add anything substantial. The section around 1:30 is the only place they seem to possibly fit, but the tone is all wrong for this type of piece, you're using a rock kit for crying out loud.

My second issue is that the piece is processed to be rather loud in context. I know this is similar in the way we did "Via", but the piano and guitar I think would be better if they were toned down a bit so they could both be heard without mushing into each other.

That being said, it's an enjoyable remix, and in spite of the issues I have with it, it's well above the bar.

YES

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF8_minipsf.rar - 307 "Fisherman's Horizon"

Some of those piano chords sounded off, I agree (e.g. :24, 2:00, 2:18). You acclimate to them over time, probably because they resolve OK; wouldn't know.

Starts off at :02 (wha?) with some nice plucked strings and piano. Drums and bass fill out the track at :20. I agreed with Lee on the overall tone of the drumkit not quite feeling right. If the drums had been louder, then they would have affected the piece in a negative way. Here however, these bros left it at a low enough volume to simply supplement the other material, so I was cool with it.

The bowed string arriving at :41 is the sexckz. Very emotive and it blends in extremely well with all of the other instruments. I like how Phil made the source tune much more melodious here, a quality the original frankly didn't have.

Great change in dynamics at 1:01 by dropping the beats and focusing on the piano and acoustic guitar, before building right back up into the beats at 1:20, then going for the chorus again at 1:38 only with much more activity in the background for more intensity compared to the first chorus. Even though the soundscape was full, I could still pick out every major part here; solid mixing.

I was admittedly disappointed by the key change at 1:56, hoping the arrangement would go in a different direction featuring new variations of the source. Nonetheless, good transition at 2:32 with the woodwinds moving toward Karl's piano close. Track cuts off at 3:05, booooooo. Nothing major, but perhaps meriting a fix.

Loved the very personalized approach here for an otherwise conservative take on the theme, where nearly every sound seemed carefully selected. There's a synergy here with this collab that I haven't heard done this effectively since Lee and Karl collabed on Final Doom "Clairvoyant Elegy". Awesome job to both Karl and Phil.

Even though I did judge the first submission of this way back, I unfortunately don't remember it vividly enough. What I do remember was that it was an awesome premise that turned out a swampy mess. I suggested a total overhaul, because I liked the concept and didn't wanna see it die. Thank the Jesus you didn't let this one go quietly.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

This is well executed. The combination of various sonic elements ends up sounding very nice. Karl's piano work is great, as always, and the guitar (plus backwards guitar) works nicely.

The melodic and harmonic elements of this piece are top notch. As TO mentioned, the rhythm section is really subdued (except for one section), but that's not neccesarily a bad thing.

Me likey.

YES