OCR03706 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, LoZ: OoT & LoZ "The Champion of Hyrule"

Gario

ReMixers - RoeTaKa
Names - Alex Roe
Email - 
UserID - 9374

Games Arranged - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Arrangement Name - The Champion of Hyrule
Songs Arranged - Breath of the Wild (also Overworld from Zelda and Princess Zelda's theme from Ocarina of Time)

Game info -
    Game - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    Composers - Manaka Kataoka, Yasuaki Iwata
    Systems - Wii U, Switch

Arrangement breakdown:
0:00 - Zelda Overworld Fanfare
0:10 - Breath of the Wild
1:00 - Zelda Overworld
1:22 - Princess Zelda
1:42 - Some Breath of the Wild interpretation
2:02 - Breath of the wild (to finish)

Comments:

I came to this game without much expectation besides the trailers that were shown, it's been a long time since I've really gotten into a Zelda game. I played A Link Between Worlds on the 3DS which was really good but it was like a really cool nostalgia game with a twist. Breath of the Wild reminded me of how much fun it is to just go on an adventure and be filled with surprise and adoration for everything in the world. I finished it and just wanted it to last a little longer (even though I played nearly 100 hours) so doing a remix was the next best thing!

I made one Zelda remix once, it was really bad haha. Though I do remember it doing decently in the SoundClick video game charts...I don't know why! It was a poor attempt to mimic something like Disco Dan's Triforce Majeure, and to that extent also Zircon's work inspired by that remix. Triforce Majeure is a really iconic remix, I'm listening to it now and it reminds me of the good old days.

The idea behind this remix came to me as I was playing Breath of the Wild. It seems there's some mixed opinions on the soundtrack and many Zelda fans miss having the epic and exciting music the series usually offers for its overworld and other locations. So I was inspired to take the main theme of the game and give it a somewhat overworld style. It was really fun to add some classic Zelda into the mix, they're sources I've never touched so it was exciting to try and make them sound authentic with these samples. I also rarely use woodwinds so this was a good opportunity to play with those a little. I had a great time making this so I hope you all enjoy it too!

It's a very well presented Zelda track, and considering the success of Link's latest outing it's pretty timely, to boot. The track overall does feel a little wet - some toned down reverb would've done this track some good. I'm not 100% sold on the humanization of the instruments (the articulations in particular for the brass and strings sound the same through and through, regardless of phrasing), and I know Roetaka can put out absolute perfection when he wants to. It's not bad - hell, it's still pretty good - but I know he can do better with his other submissions.

Nitpicking the humanization and reverb levels aside, the arrangement is great, and the production is solid. I think it'd be great to post a Breath of the Wild track sometime in the near future, in keeping with the Zelda hype.

YES

Ok so I have been binge-playing BotW so I had to hear this.  The remix is quite good.  The pace feels a bit fast for what I was expecting, almost rushed.  The backing elements are too upbeat and march-like for my taste, for this source material.  The humanization is good enough to get the job done.  The mastering is too hot, you hit -7.4db RMS in the intro and -6.9 in the outro, yikes for an orchestral track.  The entire track also strikes me as a bit sizzly in the highest frequencies.  All that said, I love the arrangement, it's a go, yes it is.

YES

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2017/03/16 - (2Y) Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 'The Champion of Hyrule'

Agreed that the wetness isn't doing this any favors, and it's actually causing clashing notes in some places (e.g. 0:30-0:44).  And I agree with Chimpz that the march-like beat doesn't always match the melody, the Zelda melody from 1:00-1:21 being the worst offender, when there's some nice varied pacing in the lead that just ignores what the percussion is doing.

Still, most of this is a pretty great arrangement, and I don't think the issues are enough to warrant a rejection.  Definitely not Alex's best work, but I'm still OK giving this a

YES (borderline)

• 1 month later...

For me the 1:22 transition to Zelda's theme from OoT was abrupt, IMO, and the worst offender of the structure here. I actually disagree with Gario about Alex achieving "absolute perfection" as it were with his pieces -- not being a hater -- but I didn't have any hangups about the instrumentation execution or volume relative to the bar, and obviously Alex should take in the critiques of the Js on those issues to refine his work. It's not something I would have focused on, but Gario was right about the brass and string humanization being a sticking point and sounding samey. Otherwise, the arrangement was lovely, and I disagreed with Chimpa on the pacing or tempo feeling rushed. Nearly everything clicked well, and the energy and creativity in the orchestral approach were strong. A great way to bring Breath of the Wild to OCR! :-)

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2017/03/16) *YES - TAG* Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, LoZ: OoT & LoZ 'The Champion of Hyrule'
  • Liontamer locked this topic