MnP 71: Circle of the Moon - Tower

HoboKa

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Round 71: CV: Circle of the Moon - Tower

Midihttp://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP71_(tower).mid

Youtube:

"It's a version of Vampire Killer in Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, and I chose it because it's my favorite song from the game."

-Chalis

Deadline: April 11 @ Tues 1 PM

Vote Ends: April 13 Thurs @ 11 PM

Submit your remix Here when completed. 
**If you have technical difficulty with account activation at ThaSauce, please contact me via PM and I will submit your track and will also tally your vote**

MnP ARCHIVE  - made by Trism ;)

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.
  2. Most or all of the source notes must be present (but not necessarily in the exact same order), secondly the mood (energy, pacing, feelings being conveyed etc) should also be retained. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell.
  3. If you decide to do a genre swap (i.e. symphonic to techno), make sure that the conditions of #2 are met.
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
  6. Please don't make any comments about people's entries - including your own - until the Voting process is concluded.  BONUS entries are exempt of this rule.
  7. All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

13 minutes ago, APZX said:

I just did some things with this. Got some strings in there, some nice organs, and really well yeah. I just did some things. Looks like SoundCloud is being dumb with the waveform, but it is what it is you know? 

Y'know what's effed tho?  The waveform of my track on Compothausauce messed up the lower end of my entry, yet on SoundCloud it's fine.  I can't speak for the rest of the sound quality in general, but I felt like it uploaded better than on Compo T_T

48 minutes ago, HoboKa said:

Y'know what's effed tho?  The waveform of my track on Compothausauce messed up the lower end of my entry, yet on SoundCloud it's fine.  I can't speak for the rest of the sound quality in general, but I felt like it uploaded better than on Compo T_T

Dude SoundCloud's encoding is just straight up garbage. My hats are garbled past what sounds like about 12KHz and same with my wonderful saw stab. It is what it is. I can upload a lossless version and/or HQ MP3 and put it up on my MediaFire if desired. Not a big deal for me to do so. 

One thing I can say about SoundCloud encoding is that you have to be "somewhat" aggressive with the limiting and compression in a track for it to have little effect. However, it is a hard one to pin down because some tracks sound great. Devotion to the Motif sounds pretty good all things considered, with only some garbling on the FX sounds really. Binary Verve all sorts of garbling all over the place. It really is kind of hit or miss. 

21 minutes ago, APZX said:

Dude SoundCloud's encoding is just straight up garbage. My hats are garbled past what sounds like about 12KHz and same with my wonderful saw stab. It is what it is. I can upload a lossless version and/or HQ MP3 and put it up on my MediaFire if desired. Not a big deal for me to do so. 

One thing I can say about SoundCloud encoding is that you have to be "somewhat" aggressive with the limiting and compression in a track for it to have little effect. However, it is a hard one to pin down because some tracks sound great. Devotion to the Motif sounds pretty good all things considered, with only some garbling on the FX sounds really. Binary Verve all sorts of garbling all over the place. It really is kind of hit or miss. 

Sure, add a mediafire link.  if you like.  EDIT - Yeah, I worked pretty hard to E/Q it with my Soundsticks and Bluecats E/Q...probably not the most ideal software for the job, but I think it does the job.  I spent probably 4 hours tweaking the fucking E/Q on Whipper Killer LOL.  God E/Q can be so exhausting.  

I remember that one, loved it!  Binary Verve hasn't suffered too much IMO - well I can sort of tell that there is a bit of muddying around the edges...using mah soundsticks, so I get the best sound out of a track...good ole Linear sound.  BTW, Binary Verve would totally work in a videogame, just needs a loop point haha.  

On a random ADD tangent, for my Bad Ass Vol3 entry (bof2 deathevan),  I probably spent close to 80 hours on getting the balance to sound...passable...because I had wayyy too many channels and too many multi-band-awful samples to work with.  Fucking shit I swear to never get that ambitious again until I get better samples and a Solid-State HD.  Prob a better job so I can afford this shit too.

1 hour ago, HoboKa said:

Sure, add a mediafire link.  if you like.  EDIT - Yeah, I worked pretty hard to E/Q it with my Soundsticks and Bluecats E/Q...probably not the most ideal software for the job, but I think it does the job.  I spent probably 4 hours tweaking the fucking E/Q on Whipper Killer LOL.  God E/Q can be so exhausting.  

I remember that one, loved it!  Binary Verve hasn't suffered too much IMO - well I can sort of tell that there is a bit of muddying around the edges...using mah soundsticks, so I get the best sound out of a track...good ole Linear sound.  BTW, Binary Verve would totally work in a videogame, just needs a loop point haha.  

On a random ADD tangent, for my Bad Ass Vol3 entry (bof2 deathevan),  I probably spent close to 80 hours on getting the balance to sound...passable...because I had wayyy too many channels and too many multi-band-awful samples to work with.  Fucking shit I swear to never get that ambitious again until I get better samples and a Solid-State HD.  Prob a better job so I can afford this shit too.

EQ is one of those things that I tend to be pretty "minimal" with most of the time. I say that because most of the time I'm just doing basic stuff with it and not really a ton of tonal shaping. Really, because in mixing I'm not really worried so much about the tonal qualities of individual sounds most of the time. I'm really just working to make them fit together. So, in that quest and pursuit I just focus on doing things such that you really don't notice my EQ much. You've really got to distance yourself from that and try to bake the mix into your composition from the get go. A solid direction of how things should sound before you even get into mixing. I use my Neumann KH120As for judgement of things. I love these things. I have a pair of soundsticks out where I do my soldering because having some tunage when you're soldering and fixing kit is a great bonus. 

Everyone else! Teh MP3. Teh FLAC.