MnP 71: Circle of the Moon - Tower

HoboKa

Here's Dex's entry just in case mon.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/eol84mgdqczn9wt/Dex_-_Vampire_killer_remix(MnP71).mp3

Oh!  We're back up at ThaSauce.

Welcome to the Voting Stage!

• There are 3 entries this round.
  • There is 0 Bonus entries this round
  • There IS a voter bonus this round.
  • Chalis has a vote worth 2x
  • Don't vote for Bonus entries please  
  • Participants may not vote for themselves   
  • Please don't make any comments about people's entries - including your own - until the Voting process is concluded.  BONUS entries are exempt of this rule.

Vote ends April 13th @ 11PM 

MnP Instructions/Guidelines ADDITION

1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.
  2. Most or all of the source notes must be present (but not necessarily in the exact same order), secondly the mood (energy, pacing, feelings being conveyed etc) should also be retained. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell.
  3. If you decide to do a genre swap (i.e. symphonic to techno), make sure that the conditions of #2 are met.
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
  6. Please don't make any comments about people's entries - including your own until the Voting process is concluded.  BONUS entries are exempt of this rule.
  7. All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct

EDIT

Anything else you guys need clarification on?

On 4/13/2017 at 4:45 PM, HoboKa said:

MnP Instructions/Guidelines ADDITION

1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.
  2. Most or all of the source notes must be present (but not necessarily in the exact same order), secondly the mood (energy, pacing, feelings being conveyed etc) should also be retained. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell.
  3. If you decide to do a genre swap (i.e. symphonic to techno), make sure that the conditions of #2 are met.
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
  6. Please don't make any comments about people's entries - including your own until the Voting process is concluded.  BONUS entries are exempt of this rule.
  7. All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct

EDIT

Anything else you guys need clarification on?

Looks good to me. Thanks!

Dex you want constructive criticism on your mixing? I can't offer too much advice about the instrumentation as to me it sounds fine except maybe those high sustained bits on the guitar, but mixing? Oh I can offer some advice on that. 

Lets start with your overall drum sound. So, your cymbals are a bit splashy. Probably best to control that with compression aimed at leaving the transient alone, but grabbing the sustain portion of the signal and dropping that down some. Now, I'd wager that if you used a de-esser on the hi-hat it'd sit pretty much perfectly with everything else. I dunno why but I just get that feeling. The snare has a pretty good hit, but it is simply too low in level and doesn't have enough space around it. It just sounds kind of flat. The kick is also pretty good, but again lacking in level and space, but it is lacking a third crucial component, that low end bump. Which really brings me into my next point of discussion the low end itself. So, you've got a bass and I can hear it. However, your piano hits lower and harder than it does. Get some compression and EQ on that thing. I'd say try pretty aggressive compression and target a relatively narrow bell around 60-80Hz to cut some of that out which will also allow your kick to hit a bit harder down there. Alternatively you do some sidechain compression for that, but I'd say try the EQ bit first. With the guitars I feel they have too much unneeded HF content. Try a LPF around 15KHz to cut out some of that. They don't really sound like they need compression, but for a bit more character you could consider using some to bring out some more desired characteristics of the sound. Past that I'd actually give them more energy around 250-300Hz to make them a bit more aggressive in sound. The rest of the mix I'd say sounds pretty good overall though. Perhaps a bit on the dry side IMO. 

Hoboka, can you please do something about the distortion in your mix? Otherwise I really LIKE THIS!!!!! For me this was ultimately the deciding factor between you and Dex because when I considered everything as a whole I felt both were great renditions of the source in their own ways. So, choosing turned into a matter of splitting hairs. But seriously the wolf sound effects? Awesomely cheesey! The whip sound effects? Amazingly cheesey! I mean really this is cheesed up so hard it hurts in the best possible way!!!! Kind of like how the Super Mario Bros movie is so utterly terrible but so utterly awesome. 

My entry? Well it has a kick, a bass, some other sounds, and some melodies. I guess it is okay.

Thanks APZX. I might try to redo the mixing my submission and repost it here for further feedback if you have time.

Yeah, I agree with you on the guitar harmonics. I wanted to include at least one but I may have gone overboard. The drums in my submission were from TMKD and the cymbals from MT Power Drum Kit (both free). I'm sure I could do better with some commercial samples but I'm also sure I could do a lot more with these with your advice.

HoboKa mentioned he thought my "pad effects" were cool - just FYI to anyone who cares, those were all just layered samples from Orion Sound Module (free).

Dex, 

Your mix sounded pretty good on the whole. There are just little things that start separating out a good mix from an okay mix. There is a lot that you can do even with freebie samples. You just have to get a bit clever sometimes with how you treat them and use them. If it says anything I don't think the samples sound bad or anything. I mean you could do a lot just by giving the drums some extra space in the mix with some EQ, reverb, and compression. I've worked with worse. 

13 hours ago, APZX said:

Dex, 

Your mix sounded pretty good on the whole. There are just little things that start separating out a good mix from an okay mix. There is a lot that you can do even with freebie samples. You just have to get a bit clever sometimes with how you treat them and use them. If it says anything I don't think the samples sound bad or anything. I mean you could do a lot just by giving the drums some extra space in the mix with some EQ, reverb, and compression. I've worked with worse. 

Cool. I'm glad the rest of the mix sounded alright. I've been playing around with the mix a bit more today and I think I've got the drums sounding a little better now. I'm still having trouble getting the kicks to be punchy enough, but I suspect the problem there may be the samples themselves.

Hmmmmm. Kicks are sometimes a difficult one. So, you've got a few options that you can try. I guessed cutting the bass around 60-80Hz would help give the kick a bit more oomph in the mix. But if that doesn't work you can do some sidechain compression of the bass to the kick. That can help the kick stand out a bit more when it doesn't have to compete as much with the bass. Personally, I'd also mult out the kick, but that is just because it affords me more control if I decide to sidechain. Anywho, some other options to try. The kick has a pretty good transient so that kind of forces your hand a bit with what processing you can get away with to make the kick more "punchy". If you decide to go the compression route you've really got two main options to attempt. First, take your meanest and fastest compressor to the task and just grab the entire sound and compress the ever living snot out of it. I'm talking like 12dB GR starting. The idea here is that if the sample isn't "punchy" enough you're GOING to make it "PUNCHY" enough. You'll also need to do EQ after the compressor to rebalance the sound. You can also use targeted EQ before the compressor to make the compressor react more in the manner you want to the frequencies you want. Second, you can actually use paralleled distortion to add in what you feel is missing and blend that in with the original. I do it very often with basslines for more clarity in a busy mix with lots of guitars. You typically don't need a lot, but it does make a world of difference. Another option you can try is some saturation, personally I like Bootsie's TesslaSE for this kind of thing. Sometimes it just phattens up a sound without any real compromise. Past that I'd have to have to the multi to really offer much more advice or you'd have to be a bit descriptive on what you feel is missing. 

Alright ladies imma get the next round off the ground shortly.  Had a busy day today...shoulda done it last night, but #reasons.  Anyways round 2 is on the way.  Also, there is no such thing as over-compressing something APZX.  Wall-of-sound compression and clipping is wholesome and good - especially for the ear drums.  "Dun dun dun dn dn CLIP IT."  "Dun dun dun dn dn CLIP IT GOOD."  (done in the style of Whip It Good!)  .....okay I'll see myself out the door.  Again.  

2 hours ago, APZX said:

Hmmmmm. Kicks are sometimes a difficult one. So, you've got a few options that you can try. I guessed cutting the bass around 60-80Hz would help give the kick a bit more oomph in the mix. But if that doesn't work you can do some sidechain compression of the bass to the kick. That can help the kick stand out a bit more when it doesn't have to compete as much with the bass. Personally, I'd also mult out the kick, but that is just because it affords me more control if I decide to sidechain. Anywho, some other options to try. The kick has a pretty good transient so that kind of forces your hand a bit with what processing you can get away with to make the kick more "punchy". If you decide to go the compression route you've really got two main options to attempt. First, take your meanest and fastest compressor to the task and just grab the entire sound and compress the ever living snot out of it. I'm talking like 12dB GR starting. The idea here is that if the sample isn't "punchy" enough you're GOING to make it "PUNCHY" enough. You'll also need to do EQ after the compressor to rebalance the sound. You can also use targeted EQ before the compressor to make the compressor react more in the manner you want to the frequencies you want. Second, you can actually use paralleled distortion to add in what you feel is missing and blend that in with the original. I do it very often with basslines for more clarity in a busy mix with lots of guitars. You typically don't need a lot, but it does make a world of difference. Another option you can try is some saturation, personally I like Bootsie's TesslaSE for this kind of thing. Sometimes it just phattens up a sound without any real compromise. Past that I'd have to have to the multi to really offer much more advice or you'd have to be a bit descriptive on what you feel is missing. 

I tried upping the kick around 80Hz and dropping the bass and piano around there but that didn't help much. Actually there's no oomph even with the kick track soloed :P, so I'm going to have to mess around with compression and the other tricks you suggest next. Thanks for your help!

16 minutes ago, Dextastic said:

I tried upping the kick around 80Hz and dropping the bass and piano around there but that didn't help much. Actually there's no oomph even with the kick track soloed :P, so I'm going to have to mess around with compression and the other tricks you suggest next. Thanks for your help!

It probably means that the other channels need their own mixing TLC on top of it.  Have fun with that man and best of luck :3 

6 hours ago, Dextastic said:

Then try a fourth old school trick. Use a tone generator set to sine or triangle to the key of the song (like if it is E then put the tone to 44Hz for example). Next put a gate and key (trigger) the gate off the kick. This will add a low end thump to the kick. If you play with the gate's attack and release curves you can get it to react in various ways and give the tone some differing tonal characteristics. Again like the distortion bit you don't have to typically add much.